Removing soot from a moc

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
Its going to be like csi star wars you need a set up like they do when they clean works of art q tips and a "very steady hand" (operation a game from MB - ideal) :lol: , good luck apack, hopefully it will clean up like a gem, I would say just a damp cloth may be dabbing at first rather than wiping its just trial and error

Sorry just read your bit about it being stubborn what about a warm damp cloth over the card for a short amount of time , not long enough to warp the card to see if it loosens it up a bit similar to the hot towels in a restaurant but not so hot, before resorting to chemicals

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I think the key will be to take your time, don't expect to get it perfect first time. Each wipe should bring off a load of soot even if it seems to make little visible difference, just keep at it letting it dry in between.

spoons

Grand Master
Is it definitely soot and not mould? Try an unscented baby wipe - those things clean anything and are only supposedly water. A light wipe repeated a few times should do it

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Looks like fire damage to me. Soot and the bubble looks a little warped from heat maybe?

Chris

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I really hope you manage to improve the condition of this card. I have no idea what the best method to use is, however a quick bit of Googling has yielded these two potentially useful pages. The first is a guide to help remove smoke damage from wallpaper:

http://www.jondon.com/how-to/technical-tips/restoration-disaster-recovery/fire-and-smoke-damage/wall-cleanup/wall-paper.html

and the second is a rather surprising short YouTube video about removing soot from paper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i3_FDgya5E

I must stress that I can't vouch for either technique, but then again it might be argued that the card is already so damaged that at this point almost anything is worth a try.

Good luck!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Even as-is I always like to see a MOC preserved rather than opened, it has character and a story :)

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Try Spoons idea. I use mild baby wipes for cleaning figures, ships and all sorts of other things around the house. They work great. Wrap the wipe round your index finger and try rubbing just a small area first where the card is black top left or right. As you clean dry immediately afterwards with kitchen towel. If it definitely won't come off I'd do as Ed's days and keep it as is as an interesting fire damaged Moc and talking point :wink:

apack7229

Sith Lord
Robstyley said:
Try Spoons idea. I use mild baby wipes for cleaning figures, ships and all sorts of other things around the house. They work great. Wrap the wipe round your index finger and try rubbing just a small area first where the card is black top left or right. As you clean dry immediately afterwards with kitchen towel. If it definitely won't come off I'd do as Ed's days and keep it as is as an interesting fire damaged Moc and talking point :wink:

I've tried the wipes that I use on my figures but I haven't made a dent in the coloring yet. I think the card might just be stained.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom