i believe that R1 will be a future cult classic

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Depends how you interpret a 'cult film' or 'cult classic'. There is no rule saying a cult film can't have a huge following from the beginning. Although I don't really see how R1 was origional or changed the way movies are made or perceived. I do think in 30 years time another generation will look at R1 and say that is still a really good film.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_film

Crumm

Padawan
theforceuk said:
Depends how you interpret a 'cult film' or 'cult classic'. There is no rule saying a cult film can't have a huge following from the beginning. Although I don't really see how R1 was origional or changed the way movies are made or perceived. I do think in 30 years time another generation will look at R1 and say that is still a really good film.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_film

I agree, much of it is down to our own interpretation.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Jaws is a good example, I consider that to be a cult film not sure everyone would. It's interesting when you start thinking about it, my perception of a cult film is probably completely wrong. :D

Crumm

Padawan
theforceuk said:
Jaws is a good example, I consider that to be a cult film not sure everyone would. It's interesting when you start thinking about it, my perception of a cult film is probably completely wrong. :D

I don't know, I think as you say, everyone has different ideas about what qualifies.

Wikipedia also lists:

Babe: Pig in the city
Cloverfield
Godzilla (2014)
Gremlins
Shawshank redemption

Which I really wouldn't look at and say "That's a cult film that is". But there they are.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I know this is Wikipedia- but they state

"A cult film, also commonly referred to as a cult classic, is a film with a cult following, obscure or unpopular with mainstream audiences, and often revolutionary or ironically enjoyed."

So a lot of films, particularly Gremlins which is often put on TV at Christmas or Jaws, a film that invented the modern blockbuster.
wouldn't fall into that category.

I watched the making of Jaws last night.....(keep writing Jawas here).

I love that film, probably the best cinema experience I ever had.

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Alien ?

Surely that should be a consideration ?

Classic film and subsequent films I feel 8)

Russ :D

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
What about Forest Grump, having the discussion with the wife. It's started an argument! :lol:

Think we should edit Wikipedia.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom