Time to call it a day.

spoons

Grand Master
No idea what happened on RS Lee but a ban there is no big deal, your home is here :)

As others have said sleep on it for a month or two

maxf

Jedi Master
The loud, shouty parts of the hobby have changed - I took some time out and came back a few months ago and was shocked at the change. However, the friendly people are still friendly, Star Wars is still Star Wars and the toys are still the same (but with yellow bubbles ;) ). You've got to try and ignore those would would treat this hobby the same as a share portfolio (you want to see some of the arguments on trading forums!), and try to enjoy it for what it is.

If you do decide to sell up (I cant judge as I did just that in 2010), then I will say that eventually you will more than likely come back (check out all of the old faces who have resurfaced this year). With that in mind, put your collection in boxes for a year and see what you think after that. If you don't think about it and your collection room becomes something else, then maybe it is time to sell. But don't be rash and sell now - you wont be able to buy it all back again, and the money gained is quickly spent.

starshipriot

Jedi Master
Such a shame when someone decides to leave the hobby. I hope you find other passions to invest in mate.
I discovered RS around the same time I found this forum, but I never joined RS as I saw how bitchy the boards were and how people were banned for stating an oppinion. And it was full of assholes justifying U-grade, and people thinking of opening carded droids figures which really pissed me off.
I hope you find your way back into the hobby, though wish you all the best if not.

Grant

Sith Lord
Lee my 2 pence worth. Quitting the hobby just because of RS Is a BAD move. That place is going to end up exstinct sooner or later anyway. It's been on the decline for years now. Almost every thread there decends into a pathetic argument. There's more Trolls there now than wood worm in an old piece of furniture.

This place on the other hand seems to be thriving. It's also chalk full of people that are enthusiastic to be here. No heirs and graces, unlike that other place that's eating itself from the inside out. Don't get me wrong there's still a few good guys over but they'll probably move on too.

Carl Waterworth

Jedi Master
The way I see it, I was collecting Star Wars before RS, before forums. So if I were to get banned from RS, then so what and if suddenly RS disappeared then I will still be collecting! Infact, imo forums and ebay have made it easier to get the harder to find items, but has taken some of the fun out of it! But dont give up because of one forum! And don't let it dampen you collecting enthusiasm!

There are plenty more outlets to obtain vintage Star Wars! :)

x-pack

Grand Master
I might be over simplifying here but just forget RS. All I hear is bad **** about that forum. Would take more than getting banned off there or anywhere else to stop a lifelong love for Star Wars

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Hey lee.

Don't do anything yet. As others have said, pack your stuff up and put it away if you need a break. If you do that and in a year still feel the way you do then sell it.

Once it's gone it's gone and unless you need the money, leave it be. You can always change your mind then. Regret is a terrible thing

**** the forums off for a bit but get down to farthest from in early August. Meet some real people, there will be loads of your old friends there as well as new ones.

If you have still lost your mojo after that then fair enough but take time before you do anything. How long have you been in this? 15years? 20years? Maybe more. You owe yourself a few months before you walk away from all that.

shawn_k

Sith Lord
Really sorry to see this news Lee. I'd agree with some of the others than maybe you should consider to hold off. I didn't see what happened, but give some time to think things through before selling up. Also, as mentioned RS just isn't what it used to be. It was the hub for buying/selling back in the day, but now it is all just WTB threads now that FB has basically taken over. The general conversations aren't what they used to be either.

Christian

Jedi Master
Lee - noooooooooooo!!!! This is the best piece advice without a doubt:

Frunkstar said:
... if I were you I'd pack every scrap of SW related stuff up in boxes, pack it away & forget about it for a good while, theres plenty to life aside collecting & this hobby, hell in a year or 2 your drive & love for it may be back stronger than ever & it would be a shame to have to start again, especially with the prices the way they are going.

but most of all..

Frunkstar said:
... But whatever you decide I wish you all the best.

Cheers,
Christian

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Wow, thanks guys :)

Anyway, i mentioned this to the other half the other night, and she went apeshit. She told me to just take a break and keep it all. Also ,Sonny heard and was really upset. It seems as though im the coolest Dad at school as i have a massive SW collection. He also said the Episode 1 stuff is his (we started this collection as TPM 3D was his first ever cinema trip) and that i have promised it all to him anyway. He said that we should just watch the films again for a bit and that would make things better. Bloody hell, he is only 7!!!

So, i will be taking a break although he is now trawling Ebay ! Not only for SW, but anything Marvel!!!

Thanks all for your words, and for the comments and pm,s ive received.

Maybe just a little bit will be moving on :)

Lee

Joe

Grand Master
Well, I think your lad & mrs are right Lee - just take some time off. I think most people have given up on RS lately and just stick to doing whatever it is that makes them happy, so if I were you I would do exactly the same.

Your views on the autograph issue are probably shared by more than you think, it's just that on RS it's easier to plod along like a sheep than say what you really think and risk losing out in being a part of the community (something nobody should really fear just by voicing their opinion but it is what it is over there..).

walkie

Sith Lord
Screw RS, I voluntarily ditched that forum after some unethical buyer stitched me on a deal.

10 days RS free and feeling better already :)

yoda

Sith Lord
I have been searching and I am sorry if I have bumped this thread and it's not suitable. Is there a 'Pickup,' collecting thread? I could only find this regarding losing the collecting Star Wars bug. I am going through this stage myself at the moment. Nothing serious just considering selling everything I have bought over the last few years. I will never sell my childhood figures and ships but I feel the buzz slipping.

Does anyone else ever feel like selling their own personal collection (not for financial gain) thegave built up?

tigerham

Sith Lord
yoda said:
I have been searching and I am sorry if I have bumped this thread and it's not suitable. Is there a 'Pickup,' collecting thread? I could only find this regarding losing the collecting Star Wars bug. I am going through this stage myself at the moment. Nothing serious just considering selling everything I have bought over the last few years. I will never sell my childhood figures and ships but I feel the buzz slipping.

Does anyone else ever feel like selling their own personal collection (not for financial gain) thegave built up?

Hi my friend. I sold up everything I had around 5-6 years ago and never looked back. I had some amazing items and was just thankful for the moment I had during those years.

Recently I just got back into collecting again and even though prices have soared since I still have no regrets as am now gathering a slightly different and more selective collection.

So what ever you decide do not worry too much as if you ever wish to get back into it then they'll always be there. Sometimes the knowing is just enough. I hope things work out for you. :)

Palifan

Sith Lord
yoda said:

All good advise above and I am starting to decide what things to let go of myself as I really do have to much stuff that's starting to clog the house up. I tend to collect lots of different toys and really have no way to display it all so have been thinking it's time to slim.

You mention that you're thinking of letting go of your most recent purchases so does this mean mainly modern items? I've picked up a lot of modern releases since the release of the new trilogy and do think that this will be the area I let go of first once I've got rid of some multiple vintage pieces I have. For me like you, there are some items I will never let go of and I still want to have a nice collection but it would be good to let go of some of the lesser items I have that don't really hold any value to me and just keep those more special pieces (not necessarily always the most expensive ones).

Best of luck with what you decide but just make sure it's the right pieces for you that you're letting go of and I'm sure you won't have any regret. I sold a complete Kenner 12 back moc run years ago for just over 2K and even though they would be worth much more now I really don't regret it as I didn't grow up knowing the Kenner brand (I"ve also since picked up a complete resealed set so still kind of have them anyway :lol: ).

Ian

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
yoda said:

I too sold everything 7 years ago, and felt good about the decision, as I had not collected SW in any earnest since about 2001, this feeling lasted for a while!
In between these years I have always collected, what I collected kept changing and I never felt happy with what I was collecting, so kept selling up and starting afresh with something new.
I had a "re awakening" two years ago and started to look at Vintage SW on the internet and was astounded by the price rise since I sold up, and more so the information that was out there on this hobby and the community spirit that was quite evident as this was not present when I last collected in the 1990's.
I started to listen to the VR and Chive cast podcasts and decided to get back into SW collecting again, and have not regretted it one bit.
What I do regret is selling all my collection, I was fortunate that I didn't sell because I needed the money, so why on earth did I sell everything, I really wished I had kept a few (well really a lot) of pieces!
Well rambling over, what I am trying to say is to wait some time before you sell up everything, and then before you do look at what you have, what gives you pleasure and perhaps sell the reminder, and just put the other bits away for a while, if you still don't feel the love in a few years then sell the reminder then, I can't see you loosing money?!?
Take a break, this hobby can be 24/7/365 if you let it, but once sold it's not easy or cheap for that matter to replace what you have, believe me I know from experience!
I hope that this helps.
Whatever you chose to do, good luck. :D

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I've never lost my passion for owning my vintage collection, even if for quite a few years I didn't really add much to it. However I totally understand the urge to downsize a collection, especially if the fun has gone out of it. This happened to me with the modern line, which I had collected religiously since 1995, getting multiples of everything to have a loose and carded collection. The problem was, I displayed neither collection and it was all simply stored in brown cardboard boxes that I never looked inside of. By the end, I had a huge collection that I never even saw, and couldn't have seen even if I'd wanted to as it took up so much space simply being stored.

After Revenge of the Sith came out, I made the decision to sell off my modern carded and boxed collection and try to display my loose items. It took a while, but I built display cabinets and put my loose figures, ships, vehicles, etc. in them where I could actually SEE them for a change! :)

Other than the occasional fleeting pang, I not only never regretted selling the stuff I parted with, I also enjoyed what I had left vastly more. Before I sold, collecting everything had become more of a chore than a thrill. It had started to feel like I had 2 full time jobs; my actual one that paid me money, and the self-imposed one of hunting down and buying everything in the modern line as I didn't want any gaps in my collection. I wasn't enjoying it any more and it was costing far too much, but selling up and displaying what I had left meant that I really could start to enjoy it again. I continued to buy new figures as they came out, but only the ones that I liked, and only one of each of those (before I sold up, I bought everything whether I liked it or not, simply to keep the collection 'complete', which is madness!). And I opened and displayed those figures. It made the whole collecting experience fun again.

In your case, I would recommend taking some time to think about what you really want to do. Don't rush into any decisions you might later regret, but after some serious thought, try to decide what it is that you enjoy about your collection and collecting. If you can identify those areas, hopefully you can continue to enjoy this hobby for years to come. But I would strongly advise against continuing with a hobby as expensive as this one can be if you're not deriving any enjoyment out of it. It's supposed to be fun, not hard work :)

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
yoda said:

Hi, like Tigerham, I sold up a huge collection about 4-5 years ago, never regretted it, enjoyed collecting and the feeling of buying the figures, ships and SW themed goodies but needed to let them go. I have just recently got back into collecting again, loose vintage is my choice and if I see the odd modern bargain then why not. I'm not in it for gain, just sentimental reasons.

I have always loved Star Wars and always will, I like the thrill of finding stuff, love collectable shops and antique places (bit of a hobby) and obsession :lol:

Russ :D

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
I've never lost my passion for owning my vintage collection, even if for quite a few years I didn't really add much to it. However I totally understand the urge to downsize a collection, especially if the fun has gone out of it. This happened to me with the modern line, which I had collected religiously since 1995, getting multiples of everything to have a loose and carded collection. The problem was, I displayed neither collection and it was all simply stored in brown cardboard boxes that I never looked inside of. By the end, I had a huge collection that I never even saw, and couldn't have seen even if I'd wanted to as it took up so much space simply being stored.

After Revenge of the Sith came out, I made the decision to sell off my modern carded and boxed collection and try to display my loose items. It took a while, but I built display cabinets and put my loose figures, ships, vehicles, etc. in them where I could actually SEE them for a change! :)

Other than the occasional fleeting pang, I not only never regretted selling the stuff I parted with, I also enjoyed what I had left vastly more. Before I sold, collecting everything had become more of a chore than a thrill. It had started to feel like I had 2 full time jobs; my actual one that paid me money, and the self-imposed one of hunting down and buying everything in the modern line as I didn't want any gaps in my collection. I wasn't enjoying it any more and it was costing far too much, but selling up and displaying what I had left meant that I really could start to enjoy it again. I continued to buy new figures as they came out, but only the ones that I liked, and only one of each of those (before I sold up, I bought everything whether I liked it or not, simply to keep the collection 'complete', which is madness!). And I opened and displayed those figures. It made the whole collecting experience fun again.

In your case, I would recommend taking some time to think about what you really want to do. Don't rush into any decisions you might later regret, but after some serious thought, try to decide what it is that you enjoy about your collection and collecting. If you can identify those areas, hopefully you can continue to enjoy this hobby for years to come. But I would strongly advise against continuing with a hobby as expensive as this one can be if you're not deriving any enjoyment out of it. It's supposed to be fun, not hard work :)

Very wise words :D

Russ

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom