Header image

Original Palitoy Toltoys Death Star Action Figure Stands

Sell your collectables here. Vintage (1977-1985) Star Wars toys only please - use the 'General Sales' forum for selling modern and non-Star Wars items.
andygo
Regular
Regular

Re: Original Palitoy Death Star Action Figure Stands

Postby andygo » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:13 pm

Hi Cazza,

I'll take a set please. Drop me a PM with PayPal details and I'll fire the funds over,

Cheers

andygo
Regular
Regular

Postby andygo » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:08 pm

Just sent the funds as requested, cheers mate. PM sent.

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Cazza » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:16 pm

Received. Thanks mate 8)
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Cazza » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:59 pm

Bump.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Cazza » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:18 pm

Sets still available :)
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Cazza » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:21 am

Bump :)
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Cazza » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:45 am

Still got a few sets left.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

TK-7785
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Re: Original Palitoy Toltoys Death Star Action Figure Stands

Postby TK-7785 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:37 pm

Cazza wrote:Set of 6, 100% original.

Have sets. All originally purchased from the Palitoy employee's shop and we're part of a massive collection.

£24 delivered (Royal Mail recorded).

Sorry to dig this up, but how can you tell the difference between these original stands and the modern ones you can buy readily today on ebay etc? I have a bunch of clear and yellow ones that came with a collection and just wondering as to their originality.

Cheers
Chris
WANTED:
Rebel Commando focus items - MOCs, Baggies...
ROTJ Store Display Items

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Cazza » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:19 am

Hi Chris, they have three little half moon shapes on the underside edge. A lot of the modern ones also have a small circle around the base of the peg, which isn't present on the original. Post up some pics :)
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Palifan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:29 am

Cazza wrote:Hi Chris, they have three little half moon shapes on the underside edge. A lot of the modern ones also have a small circle around the base of the peg, which isn't present on the original. Post up some pics :)

Although this is true about the circle around the peg on some repro ones, the ones Iain sells don't have this and look the same as the originals. Fortunately I have some originals and recently had a close look at these compared to the repro ones to see if I can tell them apart. From what I can see the placement of the 3 half moon shapes differs from the repro ones.

Edit - James contacted Iain and his stands are the ones with the circle around the peg so the other ones that look very close to the original are from somewhere else. Not trying to dirty your name Iain, honest :D

One of the half moon shapes should be directly beneath the peg (12 o clock) with the other 2 at roughly 5 and 7 o clock on the originals. The repros have the half moons opposite with the one at 12 o clock on the originals being at 6 o clock. Hope that makes sense but I've looked at the set you sent me Cazza against my originals and also an Action Force original and the half moons all match. If anyone has repro ones and it's different from what I've just mentioned then please pass the info on here.

All of the above is for the clear ones and I haven't looked at the yellow ones so can't comment on them at this time. Also all the repro clear ones are clearer than the originals (just by a bit), as they must be using slightly different plastic.

Ian
Last edited by Palifan on Wed May 02, 2018 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Cazza » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:45 am

Thanks for the extra info Ian. Yeah, mine were part of a massive SW/Action Force collection from the son of an ex-Palitoy employee. They had been in storage since the late 80's. Had a bag full of the stands. The best thing was the Action Force baggies- some really rare stuff. He also had a metal prototype (with hand drawn decals) of the Action Force Tri-Fighter. An amazing piece- I told him to keep it and I hope he has!
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

TK-7785
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby TK-7785 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:30 pm

We should probably have this moved to the reference section (sorry admin), but here are my findings.

The original Palitoy stands differ in three noticeable ways in comparison to the modern stands. The peg shape is different, the semi-circles on the underside rim are positioned differently and the plastic of the modern stands is of a far better quality. You can see the Palitoy ones have a rough, fine bubble like finish in spots. This is true of both the yellow Cantina and clear Death Star stands. There is also a difference in dimensions only detectable with vernier calipers. It's too fractional to detect with the eye, but it is there and haven't found one stand that differs in this way.

Here are some shots to illustrate the points. One other tell about the vintage clear stands is they are often (at least those I have) are a little yellowed. That's not to say that the modern ones won;t yellow with time, so I wouldn't use that as benchmark. Also, I've read that people use the fact that all repros have a circle around the base of the peg. Again this shouldn't be used as a benchmark as some repros, like the one show here, don't have this circle.

Pali_Stands_01.jpg

Pali_Stands_03.jpg

Pali_Stands_02.jpg

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WANTED:
Rebel Commando focus items - MOCs, Baggies...
ROTJ Store Display Items

Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Palifan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:07 pm

TK-7785 wrote:We should probably have this moved to the reference section (sorry admin), but here are my findings.

The original Palitoy stands differ in three noticeable ways in comparison to the modern stands. The peg shape is different, the semi-circles on the underside rim are positioned differently and the plastic of the modern stands is of a far better quality. You can see the Palitoy ones have a rough, fine bubble like finish in spots. This is true of both the yellow Cantina and clear Death Star stands. There is also a difference in dimensions only detectable with vernier calipers. It's too fractional to detect with the eye, but it is there and haven't found one stand that differs in this way.

Here are some shots to illustrate the points. One other tell about the vintage clear stands is they are often (at least those I have) are a little yellowed. That's not to say that the modern ones won;t yellow with time, so I wouldn't use that as benchmark. Also, I've read that people use the fact that all repros have a circle around the base of the peg. Again this shouldn't be used as a benchmark as some repros, like the one show here, don't have this circle.

Chris

Looks like your findings are same as mine Chris and good to see that your half moon shapes follow the same rule as mine (as does the yellow one which is good). I didn't notice the difference in the peg length and taper so that's good to also know and the pictures show it all nice and clearly.

As I mentioned I can't see any difference at this time between the SW and AF stands and as they both came from the Palitoy factory (at least I'm guessing that where they were made?), it stands to reason that they were both made from the same mould (as the yellow ones probably were as well).

This reference guide for them should be on TIG really as I'm sure people out there would like to know.

Ian
Last edited by Palifan on Wed May 02, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Cazza » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:11 pm

Ian, the SW/AF stands are identical.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Palifan » Tue May 01, 2018 8:33 am

Cazza wrote:Ian, the SW/AF stands are identical.

Thought as much and at least it means there are more chances of picking up the originals once your supply has gone.

Ian

Return to “Star Wars Items for Sale”