My last MOC purchase in a while...

tigerham

Sith Lord
And sorry Edd but one last thing. Do you steam just the back of the MOC, front or both sides? I would have thought just the back.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
To be honest I'm a little hesitant to give advice as I don't want it to be my fault if it goes wrong. But I held the MOC by the bubble, put it over the boiling kettle turning it every second so both sides got steamed. After a few seconds there was a noticeable 'flop' when the card obviously took on some of the heat/moisture. It stayed like that for just a few seconds so I had to get it under the heavy books very quickly. Use something that is unlikely to affect the litho, like a glossy book or laminated paper. Again these cards are more hard wearing than most think, a bit of water won't damage them. Good luck!

tigerham

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
To be honest I'm a little hesitant to give advice as I don't want it to be my fault if it goes wrong. But I held the MOC by the bubble, put it over the boiling kettle turning it every second so both sides got steamed. After a few seconds there was a noticeable 'flop' when the card obviously took on some of the heat/moisture. It stayed like that for just a few seconds so I had to get it under the heavy books very quickly. Use something that is unlikely to affect the litho, like a glossy book or laminated paper. Again these cards are more hard wearing than most think, a bit of water won't damage them. Good luck!

Edd don't worry my friend, you are not responsible... unless something goes wrong. :p

But seriously, thank you for the advice and I will try it out. How long did you leave it under the books for?

spoons

Grand Master
Excellent work TIg, the PD looks fantastic - I look forward to seeing the results of the flattening/steaming!

tigerham

Sith Lord
spoons said:
Excellent work TIg, the PD looks fantastic - I look forward to seeing the results of the flattening/steaming!

Thanks Spoons. I just did the steaming so now it's under weighted boards. I'll have a look later to see how it is.

tigerham

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:

Edd... what have you done???

You are an absolute genius!!!

IMG_4840.JPG

IMG_4843.JPG

B and A.jpg

Thank you so much. I tried it at first with a few seconds of steam. A slight difference. Then I increased it to maybe 10 seconds. Again better. So I just went for it and did around 20-25 seconds on both sides. You are right, these MOC's are solid! :)

Really over the moon with the outcome all round. Sticker paper/residue removed and now thanks to Edd a nice flat MOC. Happy days. :D

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Excellent! Glad to see such a good result. Yes maybe it was longer than a few seconds, I was terrified so time was probably going more quickly than I thought :lol: As you can see above the steam is the key ingredient, you then only need the weight on top for however many minutes it takes for the card to dry out. You certainly don't need to leave it for days/weeks like you do with just weight.

tigerham

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
Excellent! Glad to see such a good result. Yes maybe it was longer than a few seconds, I was terrified so time was probably going more quickly than I thought :lol: As you can see above the steam is the key ingredient, you then only need the weight on top for however many minutes it takes for the card to dry out. You certainly don't need to leave it for days/weeks like you do with just weight.

Absolutely, I knew I needed the moisture but I wasn't sure how I would do this and how it would affect the litho. Edd, I owe you as you've just saved me weeks, if not months of a waiting game. Thank you sincerely my friend. :)

tigerham

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
Here's the last one I did (before and after)

5E6A984B-7765-4FD9-8B1D-9116B33F990C.jpeg

15E56F6D-8351-48ED-9FFF-990C62A5FD4A.jpeg

5680AF75-980A-4F7B-A6CC-0FAFEC6C30BC.jpeg

:lol: That really is an extreme bend! Nice work. :)

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
theforceuk said:
Jesus good job, someone send that to you in a tube?

It does look like it! No it was listed like that on eBay and thankfully the seller made no attempt to hide it. I knew I could flatten it and got it for a very good price :)

tigerham

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
theforceuk said:
Jesus good job, someone send that to you in a tube?

It does look like it! No it was listed like that on eBay and thankfully the seller made no attempt to hide it. I knew I could flatten it and got it for a very good price :)

Yes likewise. I got a really good price on the PD because of the state is was in despite it still having s near perfect bubble that's clear.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I suppose cheap bent/warped MOCs from eBay will be a thing of the past now!

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Fantastic results, Edd! I've a couple I should try this on. Nothing nearly as bad as your LXW, but worth doing I think.

Chris

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
Here's the last one I did (before and after)

5E6A984B-7765-4FD9-8B1D-9116B33F990C.jpeg

15E56F6D-8351-48ED-9FFF-990C62A5FD4A.jpeg

5680AF75-980A-4F7B-A6CC-0FAFEC6C30BC.jpeg

Genius 8)

Russ :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom