Solo: A Star Wars Story Solo SPOILERS pre-embargo reactions

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
Grant_C said:
Such as name checking 'Han' and 'Sabacca', that old school trilogy and West End Games stuff. I love it.

Maybe we'll get Han bumping into 4-LOM and Zuckuss and asking which one is which :lol:

TK-7785

Jedi Master
After feeling a little bit 'once bitten' after TLJ I really, really hope it is good. Setting aside the whole 'he's not Harrison' argument I'm hoping for a good romp of a heist western with a Star Wars feel. I will be waiting for the reaction from the average Star Wars fan to get a more general consensus before I decide to go see it however. I generally don't trust film critics. Too many of them seem more interested in being in with the film studios and making sure they get asked to the next premiere than giving an unbiased critique these days. Bring back Barry Norman! :lol:

Chris

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
If you listen to the trailer without actually watching it his voice does actually sounds like he's got the right Han Solo tone to it. Plenty of people were quick to criticise the acting coach being appointed, but if they get the attitude and tone right then that's far more important than what the guy actually looks like.

I was checking out the cinema bookings at the L1 Odeon and they look pretty patchy, you can easily get great seats for all of the earliest showings which isn't a great sign. Money is probably spread a little thin between IW, Deadpool and JW at the moment I suppose. I thought I read somewhere that advance bookings for Solo were in excess of IW but I'm not sure that makes much sense, you couldn't get a decent seat for IW for weeks in advance.

lejackal

Grand Master
Pomse2001 said:
any idea what time the movie is in ? are we talking about 10 years before a new hope ? :?
Han was supposed to be 29 in A New Hope so 10 years might be a stretch?

jayums

Jedi Master
Reviews are a bit mixed. I have read it's a bit safe / boring with a 'linear' storyline.

Gotta say after the glowing reviews for TLJ, I'm quite relieved by that! If by 'linear' they mean the plot isn't incredibly convoluted to the point of being nonsensical, then that might suit me down the the ground!

Saw the trailer with Lando/Han in a gambling den, and thought the space aliens seemed very pretty cool (and very OT). Not enough space aliens in the new films for my liking (That canto bight scene felt too prequelly and cartoon-ish for me, besides being utterly boring and pointless).

Personally I hope it's more akin to rogue one than the main trilogy.

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
jayums said:
Reviews are a bit mixed. I have read it's a bit safe / boring with a 'linear' storyline.
Gotta say after the glowing reviews for TLJ, I'm quite relieved by that! If by 'linear' they mean the plot isn't incredibly convoluted to the point of being nonsensical, then that might suit me down the the ground!

Couldn't agree more.
If the likes of Collider, Jeremy Jahns and John Campea are giving it so-so reviews, then there's a good chance I'm going to love it.

Looks like the fan backlash boycott might just be happening, though.
Just checked my local Vue (Cribbs Causeway Bristol) and the midnight showings are virtually empty.
Also, down to 46% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Crumm

Padawan
Twin30mm said:
jayums said:

Couldn't agree more.
If the likes of Collider, Jeremy Jahns and John Campea are giving it so-so reviews, then there's a good chance I'm going to love it.

Looks like the fan backlash boycott might just be happening, though.
Just checked my local Vue (Cribbs Causeway Bristol) and the midnight showings are virtually empty.
Also, down to 46% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Yeah, I think that was always going to happen after TLJ, particularly with Solo coming out so soon after.

Just because it is Star Wars they seem to think they can just churn out anything and have all the fans enjoy it, In fact it's quite the opposite.

Even more care needs to be taken to appease the OT fans whilst also bringing something new for the younger audiences. Tricky, but with the right people working on a project it can certainly be done. I thought TFA had it's flaws but still mostly enjoyed it. TLJ on the other hand was a bit of a mess, I particularly did not like the way they handled Luke and his part of the story.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Just booked my tickets at the local Cinema for Thursday night it's not even on in the big screen and was about a dozen seats booked. I can't lie I'm excited about seeing it but it's the 4th film in less than 3 years, the Star Wars Cinema factor is wearing off. :? :) 8) Two words though, Kessel Run. 8)

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
My local Vue has more than halved the amount of midnight screenings (from 12 to 5).
Is SW fatigue setting in, or are other factors having an impact (fan boycott etc.)?

I'm still interested in seeing it (despite the reviews), but I've thought all along that having a film a year was a big mistake.
The divisiveness of the Last Jedi has only exacerbated the problem IMHO.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Twin30mm said:
but I've thought all along that having a film a year was a big mistake.

This has crossed my mind a lot recently......

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Twin30mm said:
My local Vue has more than halved the amount of midnight screenings (from 12 to 5).
Is SW fatigue setting in, or are other factors having an impact (fan boycott etc.)?

I'm still interested in seeing it (despite the reviews), but I've thought all along that having a film a year was a big mistake.

Totally correct. This is typical Disney cash cow treatment, though. Look what they've done with the Marvel Universe and as a lifelong Marvel fan it's been tough.

I am looking forward to this but I'm not building any hopes up nor do I expect much from it. After TLJ I think this approach should work just fine. That way if I enjoy it then it's a win :) I'd far rather come out of there feeling happy than hacked off.

Disney just need to keep from rubbing the lamp too much otherwise they run the risk of the genie disappearing in a cloud of smoke.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
If they keep churning films out like Rogue 1 and Solo I'm happy to have a new Star Wars film once a year, even if you get the odd ropey one. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom