Vintage Stormtrooper Figure

Bagy3

Youngling
I just found an auction for a vintage 1983 ROTJ 77 Back Stormtrooper figure. I'm thinking about buying it, but the figure is graded at 75% by UK Graders (75% card, 80% bubble and 85% figure).

I just need to know if the company which grades the figure has any effect on the value of the figure (like UK Graders and AFA) and if the 75% grade is good enough for a beginner collector like myself.

s-l1600.jpg

lejackal

Grand Master
You want someone elses opinion on whether the opinion of a grading company is good enough for you?

What about your own opinion? Will you be happy with it? Does the grade matter?

jayums

Jedi Master
I guess it depends what you pay for it.

On the up side you get a nice acrylic case, and if buying on eBay, the seller won't attempt to post it like this one I got last week (prior to postage it was a nice flat creaseless card!)

On the down side you can't take it out of the plastic prison and have a good look/feel/sniff (whatever floats your boat!).

Attachments

• F3D50B25-E29C-49AA-B68B-23880F54F5ED.jpeg
    F3D50B25-E29C-49AA-B68B-23880F54F5ED.jpeg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,058
  • B96DBF6C-5743-4F42-9CD5-2597929A8F3C.jpeg
    B96DBF6C-5743-4F42-9CD5-2597929A8F3C.jpeg
    11.1 KB · Views: 1,057

TK-7785

Jedi Master
You will get a very wide range of opinions on this one, mate. There is a plethora of discussion on grading on this forum and others. It's quite common amongst new collectors to think they need graded items full stop and then also that they must be of a certain high grade to bother with.

If you want my opinion you need to ask yourself two things; how much disposable income have you to spend and what condition of any given item would you be happy with in your collection. Some people will only have mint items in their collection, some people are happy with beater loose and carded figures.

Personally I don't think graded items deserve the price hike in "value" over a non graded version. Look at the item on it's own merits. Is the bubble clear, free of cracks, lifting off the card? Is the card creased, un-punched etc. That said, some people like graded items as they feel it affords them some security in the item they're buying.

Now, if you want some experienced opinions on any one specific item and if it is worth the asking price you'll find a great deal of people willing to help confirm or deny if something is a deal or a rip off. I would suggest going for ungraded items if you're just starting out. Your money will generally go a lot further.

Chris

scooternick

Jedi Knight
I think Bagy3 was simply asking whether there is more value/prestige in AFA over UK and whether 75% is a strong enough grade to invest? Rather this than a debate about grading?!

lejackal

Grand Master
He asked if the grade was good enough for a new collector and about the value of grading from one company over another, questions which are always going to provoke discussion about the merits or otherwise of grading

TK-7785

Jedi Master
scooternick said:
I think Bagy3 was simply asking whether there is more value/prestige in AFA over UK and whether 75% is a strong enough grade to invest? Rather this than a debate about grading?!

I think what he was asking is if any grading company, or the practice of grading has any affect on the value of an item by the very nature of it being graded. He didn't seem to me to ask if UK Grading are better than AFA.

I thought the purpose of a forum was discussion and debate. Considering everything mentioned very much relates to the subject raised and, as a new collector, Bagy3 might find the extra info given of use as he may not have been aware be aware of the pros and cons.

scooternick

Jedi Knight
I interpret second paragraph differently. Like you say, forums create debate. If the 'new user' wants to get involved in a debate then they'll be able to clarify.

Bagy3

Youngling
I apologise if I caused any turmoil regarding the grading companies :oops: . As I said, I am new to the whole collecting thing and I didn't know about it.

Thank you all for your help!

jayums

Jedi Master
scooternick said:
Stormtrooper moc is super cool whichever way it comes!

When you post about how you think other posters should have replied, and that's your own contribution to the OP :lol:

Did ya have a late night or summat?! (Jokes) :D

jayums

Jedi Master
scooternick said:
Great point, well put

Glad you took it as it was intended - good natured ribbing!

And I do think you have a point; it's easy to veer off topic sometimes, and I can imagine the discussion around grading is somewhat tedious for collectors who have been around for decades.

Personally I'm not a fan of graded as I like to be able to have items in hand. For others, I'd imagine they buy nothing but graded. Ultimately you have to figure out your own approach to collecting.

In the case of that stormy, which I think is fair to say is not particularly rare, I wouldn't be that keen on paying someone else to have got it graded and then sell it to me for a premium price.

That said, if I was buying something like a vinyl Jawa I might feel more inclined to go down the grading route, partly for my own peace of mind, and because it then makes it easier to sell on later as an assurance of authenticity (well... of sorts!!)

Grading doesn't prevent degrading either, and I've certainly had carded figs and loose where the grade does not represent the current condition e.g. yellow bubbles and figures.

I'd be interested to know from any collectors of high end stuff whether grading makes a difference with regards to insurance of these items? And are there grading companies which focus on authentication without grading?

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
jayums said:
When you post about how you think other posters should have replied, and that's your own contribution to the OP :lol:

Did ya have a late night or summat?! (Jokes) :D

What's that all about? Scooternick didn't say anything like that and he's absolutely right - a stormy moc is really cool piece to start off a collection.

In response to the op, AFA graded stuff used to carry a premium over UKG but I'm not sure there's much of a difference these days. A 75 grade probably won't make much of a difference in price over an ungraded one either as most people buying graded look for 80 or higher although you will need to ask yourself what condition you'll be happy with obviously.
I'd expect to pay around £150 for it either way.

jayums

Jedi Master
Clarkspie&chips said:
jayums said:
What's that all about? Scooternick didn't say anything like that and he's absolutely right - a stormy moc is really cool piece to start off a collection.

:roll: I didn't say Nick wasn't right about the stormy moc being cool.

My point was that it was no more or less relevant, given his own interpretation of what the OP was asking about, than the other posts about the merits of grading (which he'd commented on).

Nick didn't seem particularly offended by this, and neither should be. Perhaps best to move on. 8)

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Looks decent enough
Buy it, smash it out of the silly graded case and enjoy it for what it is, without worrying about grading or graders as it will no longer have someone else's opinion attached to it anymore... simples

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom