So what did you think about Solo: A Star Wars Story ??? SPOILERS

yoda

Sith Lord
So would that have been Maul 10 years after he was sliced?? Say Han is 17-20 in Solo plus the 10-years? Anakin was 9 in TPM so I think that's why he looked different, I'm convinced his horns looked a different colour so that would explain it.
Leaves Han around 28-30 when Luke is born and is 19 when they meet Han. Yeah I can see where you are getting those numbers from. In a new hope Han was 29? I'm even confusing myself now :lol: I think I'll just leave it and sit back and enjoy the adventures :D

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Just got back, really enjoyed it. Have to admit I was wrong, I wasn't expecting it to work and had concerns about the casting but overall I thought it was great. Very enjoyable, I hope it does well. Actually totally suprised how much I enjoyed it as my expectations were so low.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Timelines, by my (probably wrong!) reckoning:

TPM 32 BBY Anakin = 9yrs, Maul sliced

ROTS 19 BBY Anakin = 22yrs Luke/Leia = 0 yrs

Solo 13-10 BBY, Luke/Leia = 6-9 yrs, Han = 19- 22 yrs, Maul appears 22 yrs after being sliced

Star Wars 0 BBY, Luke/Leia = 19 yrs, Han = 32 yrs

I don't see a problem with the timeline at all. Unless I'm being immensely thick, which isn't out of the equation :lol:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Disney will not kill someone out of sinc with the time line they will keep it just about sane!

Don't forget in the first ever Star Wars film Kenobi died and carried on talking to Luke after. Then in ESB Kenobi appears as a ghost and tells Luke what to do. I think we would all agree these are probably the best two Star Wars films to date, so what's the problem with Darth Maul being alive?...

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
Ben Kenobi was clearly a force ghost maul wasn't and if he was Wye did he not appear in the room instead of a hologram. It was my only issue with the movie I enjoyed it over all I know a lot of people liked the maul scene personally I don't think it fits or was necessary.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Stubbs said:
Ben Kenobi was clearly a force ghost maul wasn't and if he was Wye did he not appear in the room instead of a hologram. It was my only issue with the movie I enjoyed it over all I know a lot of people liked the maul scene personally I don't think it fits or was necessary.

My point is anything can happen, not having a dig at you sorry if it came across like that. Didn't mean to piss anyone off.

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
You didn't piss me off at all I appreciate your comments it's all good.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Must admit that this one didn't quite hit the spot for me. There was nothing that bad in it particularly but I missed some of the excitement I got from the other recent ones (yes even TLJ).The first act wasn't very strong and It took me until almost the halfway point to get into it which hasn't happened before with the recent films and I also didn't feel overall that I learnt anything new about the character.

For me the questionable moments were the Imperial naming him Solo, Lando's affection for his robot (I know Lando would probably jump anything but the idea of some man on machine action just seems plain weird in a SW movie, come on story team!) and the Darth Maul bit just made my eyes roll back into my head, kind of pointless for me. These are all small points though and there were no big problems for me like some of the elements in TLJ but it still didn't quite grab me, maybe the soundtrack didn't help or the GOT actresses acting which I'm really not into other than her in GOT.

With all that said though I did think it was one of the best designed SW films in years with some really great looking characters and vehicles.Also I did love Lando's memoirs and the odd sequence that was back up to form of classic SW.

Maybe I'll feel a little different when I see it again but next time I'll watch it at home as I feel I don't need to see this one again in the cinema.

Ian

TEEBO1979

Padawan
Very Enjoyable movie.
I would put it on a parr with R1 as I see them as completely different movie.
I was pleased to see at the end that Han finally shot first again.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
It's interesting that a lot of people don't like the start. The start got me transfixed, one of the reasons I love it. Yes Han shooting first was brilliant.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
theforceuk said:
It's interesting that a lot of people don't like the start. The start got me transfixed, one of the reasons I love it. Yes Han shooting first was brilliant.

Seconded- loved the start as well. Good world building and really set the scene...

Dantooine

Padawan
I thought it was good, I enjoyed it more than Rogue One and TLJ. The characters worked, Chewey was great. The actors all did a good job and their chemistry worked. Still not convinced about the casting of Han, but he did his thing.

The one part I really didn't like was Enfys Nest taking off her helmet and start going in about the rebellion. It was staged like we were going to get a cool shootout, but instead we got a sermon on the impoverished? A bit if SJW crept in there? Either way the actress was ****ing terrible. Should've kept the helmet on and had a cool showdown. Also Han giving up some of the booty for the cause wasn't right. I wanted him to take it all for himself - this would've made his coming back and saving the day in Star Wars more meaningful. It was great that he shot Beckett though.

Didn't like Maul, it seemed really shoehorned in. Considering in TPM he's more like a creature than a character (I haven't read any of the books or watched the cartoons ) but he's now some kind of crime lord... Why not have a Jabba instead? It's a shame we didn't get Fett or Jabba in this at all. Hope we get a sequel.

Anyhow, I thought I was good and apart from Enfys Nest it all worked for me.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
The thing is, at this stage, Han wasn't the cynical Han that we know from ANH. He was a bit idealist, but was starting to change due to the events happening to and around him. The story arc for him is by no means complete- they've definitely set it up for a sequel, although due to it's performance, that's starting to look unlikely.

And as for SJW... come on :roll: Everyone's jumping on this anti Kathleen Kennedy/SJW/Soylo right wing bandwagon right now, but at least you've actually seen the film, unlike the vast majority of 'fans' who are boycotting it, yet still rating it on RT.

yoda

Sith Lord
For anyone that's going back keep an eye out for the
Fertility Idol, Sankara Stones and the Holy Grail. Dryden Voss has stolen them after Indy's adventures. I never spotted them in my last viewing but they are somewhere in Voss's office.

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
Just noticed on the second viewing that they focus twice on Qi'ra looking back at the broken crystals during and after the fight on the yacht.

Anyone know the relevance in this? Kyber crystals? Lightsaber construction, Mara Jade???

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
I watched it on sat but wanted to wait to let it sink in before I commented and I'm glad I did. I can out of the cinema thinking it was average but over the last 2 days I've come to realise I enjoyed it more than that.
I thought the lead was great, so was he rest of the cast and I was really pleased to see Chewie looking nice and ratty like he should (he uses too much conditioner in the sequels). The Chewie and Solo interaction was certainly the highlight for me.
I didn't think the ginger marauder chick was a very good actress but I don't agree that she's part of lucasfilms sjw agenda.
The set pieces were spectacular and I really enjoyed the Kessell run. Some people have said they felt the opening act was weak but I thought that was great. My only problem with it was I couldn't see what was going on - the lighting was terrible!
At times it did feel a little bit like a fancy tv show - ie not grand enough for the big screen. That might be to do with the troubled production but it wasn't enough to bore me.
I wasn't keen on the droid but she wasn't in it enough to spoil the film and Star Wars always has an annoying sidekick.
The ending completely threw me and felt very forced, maybe because I wasn't expecting this to set up sequels but unless you've watched the cartoons, mauls return was confusing.
Overall I'd give it a 7 out of 10, but since Bossk gets a mention it's a 7.5 from me.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I thought it was brilliant! So did the Mrs. Liked the characters and the story. It trotted along nicely and looked amazing. The action sequences were great, really well presented. Yeah, loved it. My biggest fear was Han himself but I have to say the boy did a good job, made the character his own. As did Lando. Chewy was awesome :D

Agree the Darth Maul bit was wrong, he couldn't have been there. He died when Anakin was 9, which was just before Han was born. How could he be there 20 years later? Er, no :?

chewbaccadave

Jedi Knight
Saw it last night and it and after fearing the worst came out pretty happy.Not getting into the little bits that don't really work things as that's expected these days but did like all the nods,winks and name dropping :) .
Plain to see,to me anyway,that the only really decent Star Wars efforts to come out of Disney have been Rogue One and Solo showing that even Disney can't mess up what Lucas had already set up for them in the Classics.I thought TFA was a OK but then got trashed in TLJ.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Robstyley said:
Agree the Darth Maul bit was wrong, he couldn't have been there. He died when Anakin was 9, which was just before Han was born. How could he be there 20 years later? Er, no :?

Andy, it fits in perfectly with the timeline. He was put back together again on The Clone Wars, hence the metal legs. He also played a big roll in Rebels.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Cazza said:
Robstyley said:

Andy, it fits in perfectly with the timeline. He was put back together again on The Clone Wars, hence the metal legs. He also played a big roll in Rebels.

That's the point tho isn't it, you shouldn't have to know that to understand the film. Anyway, wouldn't he look Darth Pancake having fallen hundreds of feet down a chasm? Sticking his body back together would've been the least of his worries when you look like the contents of a liquidiser. D8d they explain that in the cartoons?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom