Please delete thread

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
SAVORY100 said:
Snaketibe said:
I don't remember any awful bits in Empire ;-)

Err...

What do Taun Taun eat?

So the main dudes fly inside a big slug's gut that lives in the vacuum of space, they only need a small gas mask to survive though... hmm...

There's a green lizard/wizard that can barely move without a cane, talks back to front too.., but we're supposed to believe he's the greatest Jedi ever... I mean seriously?!? He's the size of a ****in lightsaber but he supposed to be able weild one? Ridiculous

So, the entire Empire lead by Darth Vader is essentially on a quest to track down the Skywalker chap, but despite being the ultimate force and army in the galaxy, they gather five random bounty hunters, one of which (I think he's called Iggy) would clearly fall the moment he moved as he has no joints... seems legit, the others are of course all better than the imperial army...

About them ATAT things... err given they walk slower than my 71 year old mum with a cane, why don't the rebels just go sideways and run away from them... by the time they turn round the rebel troops could be on the other side of the planet let alone tundra.

Nothing wrong with a Empire at all, it's a perfect movie, but we can all pick holes if we want to

With respect, what I actually said was 'I don't remember any awful bits in Empire'. That's 'awful bits' take note, and I will stand absolutely by that statement.

These are not scientifically accurate sci-fi films, and they never were (there should be no sound in space for starters, and how come laser blasts travel so slowly we can actually see them move? etc.). I never claimed Empire was perfect, but I will claim that there are no genuinely awful moments in it either. I also maintain that Empire is quite excellent escapist entertainment for children of all ages (even those of us in our forties ;-)), with a brilliant and compelling story that has excitement, adventure and surprises throughout. It has superbly realised characters that we genuinely care about (what young fan in 1980 didn't spend the next 3 years worrying about the fate of Han Solo?) and was and is also excellent in a myriad other ways that (in my personal opinion), TLJ wasn't.

If what you wrote above truly represents your HONEST opinion about The Empire Strikes Back, then fair enough. Each to their own of course, and you're entitled to your opinion about Empire just as you are about TLJ. Just as I'm entitled to my own opinions about these films too.

BTW, if you want to know what tauntauns eat, you can find out here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tauntaun/Legends ;-)

Richard_H

Grand Master
If I didn't like a movie, and there are many, I wouldn't spend time or energy telling people about it. I'd just move on. I personally think TLJ is my favourite of the 4 Disney releases.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Richard_H said:
If I didn't like a movie, and there are many, I wouldn't spend time or energy telling people about it. I'd just move on. I personally think TLJ is my favourite of the 4 Disney releases.
And if it were any other film, I would agree with you.

However, the chances are that you, like me and most of other people on this Forum, are here precisely because for us, the Star Wars films are not just any other film. Star Wars fans are often very passionate because they dearly love the franchise. I know I do, and therefore it's inevitable that when someone like me really hates what has been offered up in the form of TLJ (even if other fans such as yourself genuinely love the film), it's bound to provoke anger, sadness and frustration. Let's face it, TLJ is far more controversial and divisive than TFA or any other entry in the saga thus far. That's a terrible shame for everyone involved, not least Disney who won't have intentionally set out to make a film that half their target audience can't stand. At least by voicing our opinions, Disney have the opportunity to listen to the criticisms, and then either take notice of them or not. Personally I think they will take notice of them because TLJ did worse at the Box Office than Disney were hoping, so pure economics alone will dictate that Episode 9 will look a lot more like the OT than TLJ did. And for me, that will be a good thing and ultimately makes 'spending my time and energy telling people about it' well worth it.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Clearly not! I bought TFA and TLJ on download off B.T. I'm a Star Wars fan. To be honest I couldn't give a **** about the new films. They're o.k but I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist about them. I was aged 2 - 8 during the original trilogy releases, now I'm 42. It's a different world and a different time. The new ones are not anywhere near as good but I still enjoy them :)

_Lee_

Sith Lord
SAVORY100 said:
You're funny :lol:

Ok :)

So you seriously think that Ridley is a good actor?? And several others in the sequels??

With all due respect its easy for people to defend those abortions that they call sequels. I concur fully with what Rich said and as ive a!ways said i understand why others like the movies and respect those that do. I myself cannot stand them and people need to accept that people will have their opinions. Ratings and box office takings say a lot, but opinions and reviews say so much more. Jesus, even the guy who plays Luke disagreed with how the story has taken.

You want to know the one thing that really does hurt from TLJ?? This could have been a chance to pay tribute to Carrie Fisher but instead has made it and her a laughing stock. People dont just think of the hair buns or slave bikini anymore, its always about how **** that scene looks. Its an insult to her memory and Kennedy in particular is to blame for all this. A sensible route now would be to get rid of that bitch and bring someone in who doesnt want the attention. Make episode 9 and a few more stand alones and leave it be.

If all that makes me a miserable bastard, then so be it but when my 10 year old lad and a lot of his mates call it rubbish, then that speaks volumes.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah she didn't get an highly coveted best new comer MTV award.

Don't fall for it Stephen, the intension behind this thread is to stir up **** and inflame the forum.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
The funniest thing about the whole TLJ mess is that there are people out there who truly believe that Disney Execs spend their days trawling through the countless comments decrying how terrible TLJ wa and worry about what crank fans think. Newsflash : they don't. Bottom line ££ and focus groups are all they care about, nothing else. Each to their own of course, but all those wasted hours typing out the same old blah blah might make people feel better but it changes absolutely nothing.

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
We'll have to see if it changes anything.
Personally, I think Kennedy and her cronies are on borrowed time. Money talks and the Solo film has been handled dreadfully. A real shame as I liked the movie. I suspect Johnsons proposed new trilogy will be quietly shelved as well.
Unfortunately, this maybe just the sideshow. Unless JJ plays a blinder, Episode IX is where the excrement really hits the air conditioning.

TLJ is the first SW film I have no intention of buying on home release.
I hate the fact that I hate this movie, but purely as a film it's just......awful.
Nonsensical script, bland characters, Ridleys stilted delivery, TFAs set-up completeley negated, Rose ****ing Tico....blah, blah, blah.

I understand that people like/love TLJ and I really have no problem with that, but it genuinely baffles me that any SW fan (especially from the OT generation) can put this film anywhere near their top 5 SW films.
How the script got greenlit is beyond me. Subversion just for subversions sake.
Wasn't that the whole point of the standalone films? A chance to experiment with the saga. Why mess with long established, beloved characters in the main saga films. They were just asking for trouble.

The chance has now been wasted to unite the Original 3, give them a respectful send-off and pass the baton to the new generation.
Sad.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
jedisearcher said:
The funniest thing about the whole TLJ mess is that there are people out there who truly believe that Disney Execs spend their days trawling through the countless comments decrying how terrible TLJ wa and worry about what crank fans think. Newsflash : they don't. Bottom line ££ and focus groups are all they care about, nothing else. Each to their own of course, but all those wasted hours typing out the same old blah blah might make people feel better but it changes absolutely nothing.
I agree Disney do indeed absolutely care about the bottom line, and the simple truth is that TLJ didn't make the money Disney expected or wanted. They absolutely will therefore be looking for the reasons why, and they won't have to look very far to hear the chorus of disapproval online from fans that didn't like it in 'the countless comments decrying how terrible TLJ was'.

I have no problem at all with fans who like TLJ. I genuinely don't understand why they like it, but I absolutely accept that they do and I am fine with that. However it also seems to me that the film's defenders are often very quick to criticise those fans who can't stand it, as though the defenders feel they are being personally attacked for liking a film others don't. Some people are also needlessly rude about fans that don't like the film, calling us 'crank fans' (thanks for that, btw. If being a dedicated fan of Star Wars since 1977, spending thousands of pounds on merchandising over the years and actually giving a damn about the content we are being fed makes me a 'crank', then a 'crank' I am).

As already stated by me above (and doubtless by countless others too), TLJ splits opinion like no other Star Wars film, with half the fan base liking it and the other half hating it. That's not a scenario that's in Disney's best financial interests (that 'bottom line', you mentioned), as people like me that would have gone to see the film multiple times and then bought it on Blu-ray only went to see it once, and regret doing even that, and certainly won't be buying it on Blu-ray. And that's a scenario Disney will most certainly want to change.

So perhaps all those 'wasted hours' typing out why a huge number of people have a problem with the film might not be quite so wasted after all.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Ok fair enough guys, I wasn't particularly meaning people on here, the proper idiots are mainly on FB derailing all manner of topics by bringing it back to their issues with TLJ. In the past couple of days alone I've seen threads about SWCCG, Hasbro toys, Lego and a cosplayer thread derailed by cranks (I'm not being inflammatory much :D ), moaning about TLJ, a film that came out 6+ months ago.

Personally, I didn't much like TLJ either once I'd sat down and rethought things, I almost replied first to Lee saying it would be the first SW film I hadn't bought on home release, but that's when I realised that the constant complaints made me dislike the film as much as the actual film itself. It's not difficult for me to move on when I don't like something, life's too short and even if I don't like something I certainly wouldn't be still trying to influence people about it 6 months later.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
The thing I really don't get is the large amount of 'fans' who endlessly slagged off Solo and deliberately sabotaged its RT score... without even seeing it, all because of some ridiculous right wing influenced anti Kathleen Kennedy vendetta. Get a life!

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
They really didn't help themselves by shoehorning in their Hollywood leftie politics into TLJ. The whole rich people are bad/animal rights/feminist bollocks was just laughable. As for the Lando 'pansexual' thing...it beggars belief. Keep politics out of it.

SW is supposed to be an escapist space fantasy. That's why it was such a success in the 70s. A diversion from the dreary political/social climate of the time.

At least Lucas kept his political leanings subtle in the OT, e.g. the Vietnam War allegory in ROTJ.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
jedisearcher said:
Ok fair enough guys, I wasn't particularly meaning people on here, the proper idiots are mainly on FB derailing all manner of topics by bringing it back to their issues with TLJ. In the past couple of days alone I've seen threads about SWCCG, Hasbro toys, Lego and a cosplayer thread derailed by cranks (I'm not being inflammatory much :D ), moaning about TLJ, a film that came out 6+ months ago.

Personally, I didn't much like TLJ either once I'd sat down and rethought things, I almost replied first to Lee saying it would be the first SW film I hadn't bought on home release, but that's when I realised that the constant complaints made me dislike the film as much as the actual film itself. It's not difficult for me to move on when I don't like something, life's too short and even if I don't like something I certainly wouldn't be still trying to influence people about it 6 months later.
Fair enough, and thank you :)

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
I love Marmite, if someone told me they didn't like it then it wouldn't affect me slapping it on my toast :D
If everything was black & white, we wouldn't have rainbows :wink:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom