What do you do when collecting gets boring?

Sparky P

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Please can you define boring in this context?

It's boring for me at the moment because I am not doing any deals. Perhaps this is because my focus is quite tight on pali 12/20. I have considered looking to collect other sw that is more common, just to keep the wheeling and dealing going.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I have collected star wars for 17 years and it has never been boring for me, so sorry I can't help you :?

But then again I collected a lot of other things when I was a kid and I do not have any of those things today and I do not miss them :wink:

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
I've definitely hit a bit of a lull. I cannot find the last couple of pieces I need to complete my childhood focus for love nor money and I'm getting a bit fed up with it :lol: They're not even high ticket items either. I'm also very unhappy with how mine are displayed and can't figure out a decent solution for a decent cost.I'm totally uninspired- I hardly ever look at them any more :( I will be selling quite a few MOCs next spring to help fund a new car. A couple of years ago, I would've been very reluctant to do this, but I'm a bit meh about it all at the moment.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Cazza said:
I've definitely hit a bit of a lull. I cannot find the last couple of pieces I need to complete my childhood focus for love nor money and I'm getting a bit fed up with it :lol: They're not even high ticket items either. I'm also very unhappy with how mine are displayed and can't figure out a decent solution for a decent cost.I'm totally uninspired- I hardly ever look at them any more :( I will be selling quite a few MOCs next spring to help fund a new car. A couple of years ago, I would've been very reluctant to do this, but I'm a bit meh about it all at the moment.
I'd better start saving now... :lol:
Seriously Andy, don't do anything rash, find another focus, maybe not even SW?
You never know what will turn up next week, keep the faith! 8)

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
I've moved on to collectiong other stuff, LEGO mainly but I'll go back to vintage again at some point.

It's not a race to complete collections for me....tbh I enjoy meeting up with other forum members at events and drinks more than I do buying another figure etc.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Not sure how it could ever get boring... unless all the hobby is to you is buying from a set list.

I have a list; currrntly six items of which one is affordable and 'easy', but around that I find interest in people, freindships, the wider community and then layer on top of that picking up (collecting) utter nonsense as a distraction along the way.

If you add I'm going to events and Comicon around the country, selling bits pieces and running my Instagram page, then there's little time to be bored.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Cazza said:

Well now I'm intrigued to know what you're looking for Cazza, drop me a pm with your list as you never know.

As for the question I tend to collect different toy lines so it helps when I go a little cold on one. Also as I don't have loads of display space I find rotating my collection helps a lot. It's quite nice putting some things away and getting out some new things that have been tucked away for a while.

Ian

subzero

Sith Lord
Dr_Ball_MD said:
I just keep believing that those last few high end loose figures I want will be a badly listed buy it now on ebay.

Accept for when it's badly listed at 10 times it's value. :lol:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I think it's important to have more than one hobby. I have a few (vintage Star Wars, music, video games) and tend to focus on and/or neglect them all from time to time. But what I try to avoid these days is selling things as I almost always regret it later. The key to being able to do that is not over-stretching yourself financially.

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
Boring? I can see how it can get frustrating but never boring.

As others have said it's always good to have other hobbies. I usually end up focusing on one whilst keeping the others ticking over in the background. Even if I'm not making many/any purchases I always enjoying looking at what I have in my collections.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Hi I'm not sure collecting should ever get boring :?: It has certainly never been the case for me. It can get a little quiet at times as said.

I sense ur impatience is getting the better of u again mate :!: U have had some good results this year so far, stay focused on that :)

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Cazza said:
theforceuk said:
Is your collection on display? Don't do anything rash!

Adam, yeah, it's on display, but it's all over the place :(

Nick, I won't do anything silly...

It is difficult mate, my collection is all over the place a bit as well. Some in the loft, some on display in different rooms and every time I've purchased something recently I kind of think Im running out of space. One of the reasons I started collecting card backs and trying to build a Hoth Rebel Soldier army was because they take up minimal space.

One thing I have done this year is start buying acrylic cases for my smaller boxed items and displayed them which has been fun. I'm sure the items your after will turn up soon. :)

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
I personally don't think that collecting will ever get boring, I find that sometimes you hit a couple of hurdles from time to time, but whatever your after will turn up eventually 8)

Russ :D

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
I have my childhood stuff and some bits picked up over the years at boot sales nothing of any real value, but I've always found the vintage sw toys so interesting right since a kid and I really don't know why ??
I've got no compulsion to collect mib or moc or have them all but just like looking at vintage, its never gone away and have no answer as to why, I also have some micronauts items from when I was a kid and they fascinate me just as much as the sw stuff.
just suppose its the nostalgia and memories it brings back, :)

Robstyley

Sith Lord
If collecting gets boring then you prob need to mix it up a bit and collect some different stuff. It's each to their own and I don't know what everyone here collects but if I only collected say specific Mocs, or one character, personally that would bore me. If you become bored because you can't find what you want/need, collect something else. I've seen a change in collecting in recent years. Lots of people are moving to other Star Wars merchandise having collected the toys and gone as far as they can or want with it. I've lost the buzz a bit for it lately, just not as into it as I used to be. It's not really important to me right now and I'd like to trim down my collection. I don't need 40 Mocs! Have realised I get just as much satisfaction from cardbacks and loose stuff as I do from Mocs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom