Display Options for Boxed Ships etc

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Hi all,

Am rethinking my display (which is a complete mess at the mo!) and need some ideas from you clever people for displaying the larger boxed items + a loose Death Star. I am going to keep my double cabinet for the loose run and I'm going to put the MOCs on white picture rails, directly on the wall. I'm hoping to buy another cabinet for my Action Force stuff. I was thinking of putting the Falcon on top of one cabinet and the AT-AT on the other (where it is at the moment), but I'm really not sure how to display the other boxed stuff such as Hoth playset, Slave 1, Troop Transport, X-Wing. I also have a loose Death Star.

Any ideas? Have reasonable space, but not loads.

lejackal

Grand Master
If I had the space I've always quite liked this style of shelving, which with skill you could make to measure for the different box sizes or with cash could pay someone else to do for you.

Attachments

• 8E3DAED7-BC6E-4547-B13F-77A1AD80D13C.jpeg
    8E3DAED7-BC6E-4547-B13F-77A1AD80D13C.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 377

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Displaying larger stuff can be very tricky, especially if you have a lot of it. Since you have already kindly commented in my 'Building A Display Cabinet' thread here http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36404, you'll probably guess that my suggestion would be to calculate what you want to display and how much space it will require, and then try building yourself a bespoke cabinet. However, I appreciate that that option is not to everyone's taste, and some people might be a bit daunted by the prospect of a DIY job and hence be reluctant to try.

If you do decide to give building one yourself a try, I am more than happy to offer advice if you want any. Or alternatively, depending on your funds, if you'd rather not try building one yourself, you could always see whether you could find a local carpenter to build one for you.

However, displaying a loose Death Star (I'm guessing Palitoy, rather than Kenner) poses a special problem all of its own, as it is far wider when assembled than any vintage box. Have you considered looking for a large glass topped coffee table with a shelf or space for a shelf beneath the glass? You could display the Death Star fully assembled and have it be the centerpiece of your room all at the same time. If it was me and I was plumping for this option, I would want enclosed glass or wooden sides on the lower shelf as well to help protect the toy (if glass, it would of course need to be toughened, like the top of the table would be). And again, if you couldn't find a suitable one to buy, you could always try building one yourself or having a carpenter build one for you.

Here are a couple of Millennium Falcon coffee table pics I've just shamelessly stolen from Google images to show you the sort of thing I mean:

MF 01.jpg

MF 02.jpg

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and keep us posted on your progress! :)

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
lejackal said:
If I had the space I've always quite liked this style of shelving, which with skill you could make to measure for the different box sizes or with cash could pay someone else to do for you.

Thanks Carl. That looks good. My current display is quite similar, using IKEA units. I took the middle ones out and it's big enough for the Death Star. My main problem is that none of the furniture matches, so it looks a mess. I want to get rid of the wood look and have it all matching. The Ikea stuff is also too chunky. Basically, I want to streamline it all and make it look much smarter.

Snaketibe, thanks so much for your input- so wish I was more skilled like you! Was thinking of something along the lines of the coffee table, but don't have the floor space. Think I'll check out a larger corner cabinet, to match my main cabinet. A corner one may well be large enough to house the mid-sized ships. With attempt some maths :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom