Palitoy landfill

mattholt76

Youngling
Hello to all on this thread.

I'm a Leicester based (born & bred!) filmmaker. I mainly work in corporate films as that's where the money is but to keep sane
I make short documentaries on youtube about subjects that I'm interested in and that I think have a wide audience. They are quite high quality
and the kind of thing that probably could be on TV, you can see here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mglmedia

A friend of mine told me the "Palitoy Landfill legend" and I thought it would make a great short film. To get the ball rolling I have filmed Matt Fox at
"May The Toys Be With You" exhibition which has come "home" to New Walk Museum in Leicester. I then started doing some research and found you guys
& it seems some of you have already thought the subject might make an interesting film too.

It seems Kenner always gets the focus in the Star Wars toy documentary field which I think leaves a gap for a homegrown film with a sense of humour.
For example as a tag line "They found a king under a car park, now they are looking for The Emperor"
Obviously it will be done with affection for the subject, my late gran worked at Palitoy in the Action Man days as they lived in Coalville . I collected the toys in their heyday but I'm no expert these days... now it won't be a "serious" film about how they were made, more a light-hearted caper of a treasure hunt with the story of the fall & rise of the toys post 1985 as a sub narrative. I also want to cover the "value" now of the figures, how what was once trash is now treasure

So I'm looking for Star Wars toys fans who are interested in taking up the challenge to try and find this legendary landfill once and for all, and be filmed unfolding the story
and becoming detectives/Star Wars Time team. I can't promise a satisfactory conclusion, but I think telling the story & tracking down Palitoy employees who may have been involved in the disposal. We know of Bob Brechen

These things can take time to make as they are self funded & fit around day jobs. If it looks like we are gathering a lot of great interviews and footage and it looks more like a feature than a short then it could be crowdfunded perhaps.

Drop me a line on here or I can post my email (if that's allowed on here) it's early days but we have stuff in the can and a lot of people I talk to locally love
the idea of this film. All the best Matt.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I would suggest that you contact Laurence Dyer as he knows more than most on this.
Good luck with this exciting project.

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
After reading a news artical i believe in 2015 about this existing i always thought if excavated this could be so exciting. Has anyone ever seen the documentary about the Atari land fill they excavated a couple of years ago and they found boxes of games. The boxes where screwed but the cartridges in perfect condition.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Filming this would knock Time Team into a cocked hat ( sorry Baldrick!)

Would make a great documentary for SW collecting fans and Palitoy fans alike.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Matt will be filming round mine in a few weeks for some story establishing scenes. Great to see this getting off the drawing board!

cheers Jason

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Had Matt and Wayne filming in my collection room today for the documentary. Good luck moving towards the dig!

Cheers Jason

_Lee_

Sith Lord
This will be very interesting. My sister lives in Leicester and a year or two back i had a very interesting talk with a friend of my sister. I was introduced to the grandmother of her friend who just so happened to work at Palitoy back in the day and she rememberd the Star Wars years. She actually remembers carding figures from the first SW line and said about how much she hated Greedos card!! Id often thought that some of the first releases were carded in house and she proved me right. I actually showed her photos of some of my figures at the time and she remembers the first line very well, and that once Empire hit it went into overdrive :) She actually used to buy for relatives who didnt want to wait for them to hit the shops and having to hunt different shops for sold out figures.

I will say that they need to find some of the real, old school collectors that have been collecting from day one. Id love to see the likes of John Ford come back ibto the fold , but thats probably unlikely.

Laurence and Dave Tree need to be in on this. Laurences digging has brought some interesting things to light and shown more history of Palitoy in general.

I firmly beleive that there is so much more to be unearthed ( bad pun) about the Palitoy SW line and that there are so many things we dont yet know.

Will be a fun atory to follow.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom