SWTOTW, Week 30, 2018, Part 2/2 Admiral Ackbar

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:
Snaketibe said:
To the very best of my knowledge, the two main types of Ackbar staff are unique to each COO, with the fatter, smaller rings version coming with the Taiwan variants, and the thinner, larger rings version coming with the Hong Kong variants.

If the above is either not true, or not always true, please feel free to correct me, as I would genuinely like to know if I am right :)
Jeremy, I believe that you are partially correct. The thinner staff without epm listed on TIG as v2 is indeed the HK Ackbar. From research to the best of my knowledge there are no variations in this Staff.

As for the Taiwan Ackbar there are at least 2 variations of the staff, a fat and a thin version, both with 3 epms (I believe all epm variants are from Taiwan Ackbar). Depending on what level of detail you delve into examining the staffs you will also find differences in the size of the epms and also the shape of the cross section of the staffs from circular to oval.

As you have 14 variants of the Taiwan Ackbar I imagine you will be better placed to notice these differences than me, though I think I remember you saying your eyesight wasn't what it used to be :lol:
Thanks Jay. Yes, I should have been much clearer in my statement! I was generalizing with regards to the two main types of staff and separating them along COO lines, but yes, you are of course absolutely correct that the Taiwan staff does itself have variants. I simply meant, does the one listed on TIG as V2 only come with Hong Kong COO Ackbars, and does the other type (whether fat or thin) come only with Taiwan Ackbars? I believe I am right, but am happy to be corrected if not!

And as for my very sloppy generalization regarding the Taiwan staffs and lumping them all together, my apologies. I am of course well aware of the sub-variants, having 14 of the things! :)

At any rate, I agree that there are both thicker and thinner variants on the 'Taiwan' staff, even if TIG only shows one of them (the V1), although the difference can be subtle. However, yes, there are definitely thin ones which are distinctly oval in cross-section and that difference can't fail to be spotted (even with glasses ;-), although I'm not quite blind yet! :lol:. If I did criticize my own sight, perhaps I should clarify that I am very slightly shortsighted and have worn glasses for years, but think I'm finally heading towards reading glasses too as I creak through the back-end of my forties! :-().

Anyway, here are some pics I've just taken. First up the 'Hong Kong' or V2 (also the variant most often copied for repro rubbish):

Hong Kong Staff.jpg

And here is a thick, round cross-section 'Taiwan':

Taiwan Thick Staff - 01.jpg

Taiwan Thick Staff - 02.jpg

Taiwan Thick Staff - 03.jpg

And here is a thin, oval cross-section 'Taiwan'. I have photographed it from different sides to hopefully show its oval nature:

Taiwan Thin Staff - 01.jpg

Taiwan Thin Staff - 02.jpg

Taiwan Thin Staff - 03.jpg

Taiwan Thin Staff - 04.jpg

Taiwan Thin Staff - 05.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
TheJabbaWookie said:
Snaketibe said:
To the very best of my knowledge, the two main types of Ackbar staff are unique to each COO, with the fatter, smaller rings version coming with the Taiwan variants, and the thinner, larger rings version coming with the Hong Kong variants.

If the above is either not true, or not always true, please feel free to correct me, as I would genuinely like to know if I am right :)
Jeremy, I believe that you are partially correct. The thinner staff without epm listed on TIG as v2 is indeed the HK Ackbar. From research to the best of my knowledge there are no variations in this Staff.

As for the Taiwan Ackbar there are at least 2 variations of the staff, a fat and a thin version, both with 3 epms (I believe all epm variants are from Taiwan Ackbar). Depending on what level of detail you delve into examining the staffs you will also find differences in the size of the epms and also the shape of the cross section of the staffs from circular to oval.

As you have 14 variants of the Taiwan Ackbar I imagine you will be better placed to notice these differences than me, though I think I remember you saying your eyesight wasn't what it used to be :lol:
Thanks Jay. Yes, I should have been much clearer in my statement! I was generalizing with regards to the two main types of staff and separating them along COO lines, but yes, you are of course absolutely correct that the Taiwan staff does itself have variants. I simply meant, does the one listed on TIG as V2 only come with Hong Kong COO Ackbars, and does the other type (whether fat or thin) come only with Taiwan Ackbars? I believe I am right, but am happy to be corrected if not!

And as for my very sloppy generalization regarding the Taiwan staffs and lumping them all together, my apologies. I am of course well aware of the sub-variants, having 14 of the things! :)

At any rate, I agree that there are both thicker and thinner variants on the 'Taiwan' staff, even if TIG only shows one of them (the V1), although the difference can be subtle. However, yes, there are definitely thin ones which are distinctly oval in cross-section and that difference can't fail to be spotted (even with glasses ;-), although I'm not quite blind yet! :lol:. If I did criticize my own sight, perhaps I should clarify that I am very slightly shortsighted and have worn glasses for years, but think I'm finally heading towards reading glasses too as I creak through the back-end of my forties! :-().

Anyway, here are some pics I've just taken. First up the 'Hong Kong' or V2 (also the variant most often copied for repro rubbish):

Hong Kong Staff.jpg

And here is a thick, round cross-section 'Taiwan':

Taiwan Thick Staff - 01.jpg

Taiwan Thick Staff - 02.jpg

Taiwan Thick Staff - 03.jpg

And here is a thin, oval cross-section 'Taiwan'. I have photographed it from different sides to hopefully show its oval nature:

Taiwan Thin Staff - 01.jpg

Taiwan Thin Staff - 02.jpg

Taiwan Thin Staff - 03.jpg

Taiwan Thin Staff - 04.jpg

Taiwan Thin Staff - 05.jpg

Thanks mate for the great info about the weapons for admiral ackbar :wink:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Here are my collection of the Rebel Admiral :D

1. Admiral Ackbar in baggie and mail Box.

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

2. 3 no coo variants, 2 of them with 2 different smooth no coo and 1 with a no coo scar.

No Coo.JPG

3. 4 Hong Kong Variants.

Hong Kong.JPG

4. 7 Taiwan variants.

Taiwan.JPG

5. 9 other Taiwan variants with a different Taiwan coo.

Taiwan 2.JPG

Pomse2001

Grand Master
6. Kenner 65 back moc

01.jpg

02.jpg

7. Palitoy 65 back

P1170134.JPG

P1170135.JPG

8. Palitoy 65 back, with a Danish price sticker.

P1170136.JPG

P1170137.JPG

9. Kenner 65 Back from the TJ factory.

P1170138.JPG

P1170139.JPG

10. PBP 65 back.

P1170140.JPG

P1170141.JPG

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Pomse2001 said:
TheJabbaWookie said:
Here are my Ackbars. A Taiwan and a Hong Kong. I have two because I currently collect Kenner mold colour variants such as Han Solo, General Madine, Ree Yees and Admiral Ackbar.

I'm currently after Han Hoth Molded Legs and Leia Boushh dark brown Molded torso. Both quite rare Kenner variants. :wink:

Great variant collection :D I have Han Hoth molded legs and leia dark brown molded torso and I agree quite rare, I used a lot of time to find them. I hope you find them soon :wink:
Cheers Lars, not easy, if you're doing it on a budget, nice collection of Ackbars BTW

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
That's a terrific Ackbar collection, Lars! You've got even more variants than me :lol:

thanks mate for your very kind words :lol: I am sure that I have some that you do not have and I am also sure about that you have some that I do not have :lol: and you have more ackbar staffs than I have :wink: :lol: I am still missing the lili ledy :( Are you hunting the smooth no coo and the scar coo ? looks like you miss them ? :?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
Pomse2001 said:
TheJabbaWookie said:
Here are my Ackbars. A Taiwan and a Hong Kong. I have two because I currently collect Kenner mold colour variants such as Han Solo, General Madine, Ree Yees and Admiral Ackbar.

I'm currently after Han Hoth Molded Legs and Leia Boushh dark brown Molded torso. Both quite rare Kenner variants. :wink:

Great variant collection :D I have Han Hoth molded legs and leia dark brown molded torso and I agree quite rare, I used a lot of time to find them. I hope you find them soon :wink:
Cheers Lars, not easy, if you're doing it on a budget, nice collection of Ackbars BTW

Thanks mate for the kind words :D Well most of them I have picked up in lots and when I look through the lots then I compare them with the other variants that I have. Then I somethimes find a variant that I do not have. I do not have a budget. If I have money and there is something I want then I try to bid or buy and if I do not have any money then I do not buy. Many of my variants came from 2 big lots. A friend of mine sold some years ago nealy 330 figures for a extremly good price and then I bought a collection from a guy in usa in 2011 if I remember correct, there was 350 figures in that lot. The rest came from childhood lots that I have picked up, ebay deals and some trading that last 17 years :D I do not have expensive moc but I have a lot of figures :lol:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:
That's a terrific Ackbar collection, Lars! You've got even more variants than me :lol:

thanks mate for your very kind words :lol: I am sure that I have some that you do not have and I am also sure about that you have some that I do not have :lol: and you have more ackbar staffs than I have :wink: :lol: I am still missing the lili ledy :( Are you hunting the smooth no coo and the scar coo ? looks like you miss them ? :?
Hey Lars,

I don't have any smooth, no COO or scar Ackbars, but then again, I'm not a COO collector. I like figure variants which are visually different from one another, so if the smooth, no COO and scar versions look different to the Hong Kong and Taiwan variants, then I want them. If they don't, I don't! :)

Do any of them look different to the Hong Kong and Taiwan versions?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:

Hey Lars,

I don't have any smooth, no COO or scar Ackbars, but then again, I'm not a COO collector. I like figure variants which are visually different from one another, so if the smooth, no COO and scar versions look different to the Hong Kong and Taiwan variants, then I want them. If they don't, I don't! :)

I must admit, I have never compared them with the Hong Kong or Taiwan because they do not have the same coo/no coo but sure I can check them for you to see if there is something different :D What about lili ledy ackbar, if I remember correct he do not look like the kenner hong kong variants.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Hey Lars,

I must admit, I have never compared them with the Hong Kong or Taiwan because they do not have the same coo/no coo but sure I can check them for you to see if there is something different :D What about lili ledy ackbar, if I remember correct he do not look like the kenner hong kong variants.
Thank you, I'd appreciate that :)

I don't have a Lili Ledy Ackbar, in fact I don't have many Lili Ledy variants full stop. It's an area I hope to improve in the future!

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:
Hey Lars,

I don't have a Lili Ledy Ackbar, in fact I don't have many Lili Ledy variants full stop. It's an area I hope to improve in the future!

I also do not have many lili ledy, maybe 20 figures. I hope you get many more in the future :wink:

One of my Hong Kong have brown eyes, but I have been reading that there are also a kenner with brown eyes and it is not only the lili ledy that have brown eyes. I am sure that it is the kenner I have. But I hope to find a lili ledy one day.

I will compare the no coo with the others and get back to you later today :wink:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:
Hey Lars,

I have compared them with my Taiwan and Hong Kong coo.

There is a difference. The best way to see the difference is the sole, it is thicker on the smooth/melted no coo and also on the no coo scar, and the smooth/melted no coo and the no coo scar do not have the same sole. So to me it looks like there are 5 mould families for ackbar :shock:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:

There is a difference. The best way to see the difference is the sole, it is thicker on the smooth/melted no coo and also on the no coo scar, and the smooth/melted no coo and the no coo scar do not have the same sole. So to me it looks like there are 5 mould families for ackbar :shock:
Thanks for checking :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:

Thanks for checking :)

Your welcome, I can take some pictures when I get some more time :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
s1d0w said:
Treating an old thread to a new arrival

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 15.32.03.png

wow another figure, this time ackbar that looks mint 8) thanks for sharing him in the thread :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom