Full MOC run

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Robstyley said:
I think anyone who starts collecting Mocs will have the thought cross their mind about getting all the figures carded or some sort of completed run. It's human nature, collector mentality. But not everyone is the completist. It's not easy, especially on their film cards let alone debut cards. I started buying loads of Jedi Mocs and although I just wanted all my favourites to begin with, I then started thinking maybe I could go for a 79 run on Jedi cards. I had 40 but soon realised it was going to take too long, too much money and it wasn't for me. I don't need 40 Mocs, defo don't need 79! I'm now selling some and having a rethink. I'm going to keep the ones I really like and have some variety even among the Jedi cards with different backs, offers, Kenner, Palitoy etc. For me it is no fun to be on a big mission to complete things all the time, it's boring. It's more interesting to collect lots of different things and be free to change your mind and buy whatever takes your fancy. As mentioned collect whatever you like. I'm getting into cardbacks, never would have thought that. You get the visual aspect of the card for about 1/10 of the price. And I'm interested in the back of them, not the front. Sounds like you already have a fat Moc collection Scott! Well done, good achievement 48 :eek:
Got to agree, I never thought I would collect card backs, but they are really appealing to me now!
I think that most of us, if you want to admit it or not, have a large dose of OCD. :?
We "need" to complete and things "need" to have a conclusion, I know I do.
It's hard to break this circle, but once done the world looks a better place, believe me, give it a go! :D

subzero

Sith Lord
TheJabbaWookie said:
subzero said:
after all iv'e always said my whole life we don't own anything anyway, we're only renting these possessions while we're here and eventually one day through choice or not, they will all be given back to someone else.
Interesting observation, like it :D

It does make things better on the mind when it comes to sell things. :lol:

scooternick

Jedi Knight
All comes down to how much money you have or may have or potentialy want to spank on toys in the future? I run a pretty strict policy that if the mocs i have don't excite me or don't tug on my nolstagic strings then they are surplus to requirement. Hasn't let me down yet! Sell and reinvest is what i'd do. Plus, displaying a whole run is not easy without the space.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I want all the figures on all the Kenner cards they were released on. :lol: If I die still wanting to do this then collecting will have been fun for me and never ending. Buy what you want as long as you have the cash, sell what you want but remember you will probably regret it one day at some point. :)

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
scooternick said:
All comes down to how much money you have or may have or potentialy want to spank on toys in the future? I run a pretty strict policy that if the mocs i have don't excite me or don't tug on my nolstagic strings then they are surplus to requirement. Hasn't let me down yet! Sell and reinvest is what i'd do. Plus, displaying a whole run is not easy without the space.

Exactly what I have done! When I started collecting again, I retrieved my collection from my Parent's loft. There were a lot of Tri and POTF figures in there. Lots of last 17. I'd had them for around 20 years, but they had very little nostalgia for me, so decided to sell them and reinvest in an ESB MOC run, as that was my main era as a kid. Completed this, but wasn't entirely happy with it, as there were several meh figures e.g. Bespin Guards, Lobot etc, that I never had as a kid. So, decided to sell some and focus mainly on a 'Childhood' collection. I'm nearly there. Just need one more MOC, a mailer box and a couple of more obscure bits.

As money is tight, it's made so much more sense to me to focus on the stuff that I really want- stuff that totally has that nostalgia. When I started, my approach was very scattergun. Then I focused a bit, but it was still a wide focus. I'm happy with what I'm doing now, with a much more specific focus and have thankfully found a couple of tricky pieces recently, to keep me going, thanks to helpful folks on here.

scooternick

Jedi Knight
Cazza said:
scooternick said:

Exactly what I have done! When I started collecting again, I retrieved my collection from my Parent's loft. There were a lot of Tri and POTF figures in there. Lots of last 17. I'd had them for around 20 years, but they had very little nostalgia for me, so decided to sell them and reinvest in an ESB MOC run, as that was my main era as a kid. Completed this, but wasn't entirely happy with it, as there were several meh figures e.g. Bespin Guards, Lobot etc, that I never had as a kid. So, decided to sell some and focus mainly on a 'Childhood' collection. I'm nearly there. Just need one more MOC, a mailer box and a couple of more obscure bits.

As money is tight, it's made so much more sense to me to focus on the stuff that I really want- stuff that totally has that nostalgia. When I started, my approach was very scattergun. Then I focused a bit, but it was still a wide focus. I'm happy with what I'm doing now, with a much more specific focus and have thankfully found a couple of tricky pieces recently, to keep me going, thanks to helpful folks on here.

Good work - definitely my type of collecting, but again everyone does things differently. You can go pretty far by buying and reinvesting (with a bit of luck thrown in for good measure!).

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Cazza said:
As money is tight, it's made so much more sense to me to focus on the stuff that I really want- stuff that totally has that nostalgia.

This is kind of where I'm at too mate. Moved to a bigger house, had another child and have had some health problems. I don't have the spare income I used to have but it's not necessarily a bad thing. I feel like the items mean more to me now. I also am becoming drawn to the Mocs/figures and other things I had as a kid. I had a 3PO removable limbs up for sale but then realised I didn't want to sell it because I had it as a kid and have memories of it. I think that's what can happen collecting this stuff, you have to sometimes go with your heart rather than with your collector head.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
That's it in a nutshell, I've been reading posts and posting myself for years now, and that little nugget nails it for me

" go with your heart...not your collector head". Your a real life Yoda with that comment. Seriously though, that's it for me, go with your heart, don't be clouded by what the" in thing is" or what others say you should go for , just use your experience and the knowledge you have, but never lose sight of what makes you smile, what gives you the buzz, what floats your boat :)

I think then you are truly happy with what you have for YOU not what other collectors perceive you as, who cares TBH what others think, it's what you think that counts....bring on the reseals and sliced bubbles for me :)

TrooperWill

Padawan
to echo just about every reply above me, collect what you want, not what you think other people would expect you to collect.

perfect example is last year, I stumbled onto quite a large amount of mask vehicles (m.a.s.k) all in great condition, and complete. I really like them but have never owned any so I decided to keep them, even though I would triple or quadruple my money if I resold them. as I was only about 8 vehicles off a full set, I figured I would grab the last ones to complete it and show off. except when I came to buy several of the ones I was missing, they were quite expensive, they sucked in comparison to the ones I already had as the shows writers had lost all plot towards the end of the show, and I really didn't want to pay what they were worth for them. because they were not worth that much to me. so I still don't have a complete run, because I don't want one.

it would have been easy to suck it up and just buy the three sets I don't like but what's the point really? unless you are one of those twats on Facebook doing a "mailcall" post showing off your new stuff for likes from strangers, who gives a ****?

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
I'm just 2 away from a full Palitoy carded set, with each character on the correct movie cardback, although a few of the rarer ones are more affordable reseals or cut bubbles. I've been working on this for some 20 years and was lucky to get a good head start before the prices rose to current levels.

I totally agree that it's best to collect what you love, not what you think you should have, but for me the action figures and particularly the Palitoy logo cards are such an integral part of my childhood that I love having them all. Sadly I'm not able to display the: st the moment but when I've go5 those last two I'll get them all out for a photo.

Gadders

Padawan
Which 2 do you need Andy?

I myself am 4 off having the full 96 MOC run on any card. But am now at a point where i am content with my collection and have no real will to get the last 4.. the last 4 i need are Yak, Han Carb, EV9D9 and R2 Popup.

Gadders

Padawan
Mini99 said:
Ah...the usual suspects then! :wink:

Yeah :-D

Han Carb and EV are doable.. but i cannot bring myself to pay current pop-up R2 prices when a couple of years back they were sub 200 quid. And Yak.. well.. maybe one day at the right price if its a case of just needing him for the full run

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
It can be quite refreshing not to complete a run otherwise you have to find something else to collect!
As you say other than the Yak the others are always available it just comes down to price.
There's an Amanaman and an R2 for sale at present in here if you hadn't seen. :wink:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom