Vintage 70's / 80's Argos catalogues

subzero

Sith Lord
Thanks for the replies guys some useful info to think about there, I did also wonder did Argos just simply not realise how popular the toys would have been?, I suppose there's plenty of stories out there of many different companies not foreseeing the success in a franchise and then not preparing for it.

Spoons - Yes I noticed that last page too which I think was the only one I could find that actually had figures for sale and an actual full page dedicated to Star Wars, the rest from other years was just basically scraps.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yes I noticed no Star Wars in the 1981 catalogue, very strange. They did have quit a lot in the 1984 catalogue which is a double page, but not much really in others. I think it was their thinking to have a little bit of everything. As a kid I always remember wanting stuff that I only saw in the catalogue, like punch bags, table tennis table and a snooker table.

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
I think I mentioned on the last argo's thread a few years ago, I could not believe the price £28.00 for the atat back in 81=82, what is that in todays money, it really makes you think how expensive toys were back then compared with today, (although some Hasbro prices are mad compared with other China produce) and how lucky we were to have these toys bought for us.
I don't believe I was spoilt as a kid but over the years I was lucky enough to have all the usual toys discussed in the resent toy thread (one toy line kid).

subzero

Sith Lord
bosk70 said:
I think I mentioned on the last argo's thread a few years ago, I could not believe the price £28.00 for the atat back in 81=82, what is that in todays money, it really makes you think how expensive toys were back then compared with today, (although some Hasbro prices are mad compared with other China produce) and how lucky we were to have these toys bought for us.
I don't believe I was spoilt as a kid but over the years I was lucky enough to have all the usual toys discussed in the resent toy thread (one toy line kid).

Just did a calculation on this site http://www.in2013dollars.com/2015-GBP-in-2018?amount=1

It would have been the equivalent to spending just over £100 today. :shock: A decent amount of money for a parent to spend on just one toy.

Untitled.png

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
bosk70 said:

Thanks for that Sub zero

I had that toy works garage and really loved that as a kid, I actually found it some years ago when clearing out my mums loft and now it is patched up and on display, bit of string and the lift was as good as new missing half the garage sign and one flag thou :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom