Header image

Does Trade Bait Work?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:53 pm

Does Trade Bait Work?

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:16 pm

Does trade bait work, do collectors trade rare items for other rare items?
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

User avatar
sparkysx
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1024
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:28 pm
Location: UK

Re: Does Trade Bait Work?

Postby sparkysx » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:34 pm

I'd only do that in person.

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:50 pm

Re: Does Trade Bait Work?

Postby Dannywhiteley » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:11 pm

Only way to get a really rare item sometimes

User avatar
aussiejames
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 3742
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:40 pm
Location: Western Australia

Re: Does Trade Bait Work?

Postby aussiejames » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:24 am

Of late, trading is all I do to acquire new stuff. Prices are high so for me it's easier to trade comparably valuable things. I've let go of a few items I will never ( unlikely) be able to replace but swapped them for things I thought I'd never own...

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:53 pm

Re: Does Trade Bait Work?

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:45 am

So do you think it is more productive to buy things you do not want specifically to trade instead of offering an above market price for an item or offering to buy the whole collection to get a few pieces within it?
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

User avatar
wrighty
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1329
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:40 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Does Trade Bait Work?

Postby wrighty » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:18 am

In my experience trait will work better trading rare stuff for rare stuff, don’t even bother with common stuff. I think like pre-production stuff maybe but you are risking it. I prefer just to buy what I want and not have cash tied up in things I can’t move!! Just my 2 cents!!

User avatar
subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 849
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Does Trade Bait Work?

Postby subzero » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:02 am

I wonder if anyone out there has gradually traded their way up, starting with a cheap item then ending up having a really expensive figure?

ie starting with a £100 MOC, trading that for a £120, then trading that for a £150, then so on and so on till they have a £2000+ MOC. :twisted:
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:53 pm

Re: Does Trade Bait Work?

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:33 pm

wrighty wrote:In my experience trait will work better trading rare stuff for rare stuff, don’t even bother with common stuff. I think like pre-production stuff maybe but you are risking it. I prefer just to buy what I want and not have cash tied up in things I can’t move!! Just my 2 cents!!


I think you are probably right about tying up cash as I don't seem to be particularly good at trading and I don't like selling so moving forward it is probably best I only buy what I want. I bought a few 41/45A backs some to keep and some to trade but no one seems to want to trade 41/45A for 30 Backs and I don't enjoy selling so I am left with items I don't want, hopefully I will get into them over time.
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

User avatar
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin
Posts: 5988
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:43 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Does Trade Bait Work?

Postby edd_jedi » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:26 pm

As above only really for rare/desirable stuff. But it definitely does work.

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:53 pm

Re: Does Trade Bait Work?

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:49 pm

I do have some rare 41/45A MOC to trade I just guess they must be a lot less desirable than 30 backs!
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

User avatar
wrighty
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1329
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:40 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Does Trade Bait Work?

Postby wrighty » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:06 am

And also sometimes you have to actually trade something you want for something you want more, sacrifice. :D

jedisearcher
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:50 pm

Re: Does Trade Bait Work?

Postby jedisearcher » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:58 pm

Wreck-It Ralph wrote:I do have some rare 41/45A MOC to trade I just guess they must be a lot less desirable than 30 backs!


Sorry, very wrong. If a collector collects 45as then they are what’s extremely desirable to that collector. They are just as valuable to that collector as your precious 30 backs are to you.

I know you’re talking generally about the marketplace but knowing a collector is stockpiling particular items for long periods of time on the off-chance that they might be useful for trade bait is going to do nothing other than piss people off.

Trade to trade, if no one wants them then sell, there are only so many Palitoy collectors out there who can/will ever want them. If they don’t want them what are you actually achieving? You’re just buying yourself more serious negative goodwill when people find out what you’ve got ...
WTB thread - most Palitoy 30b's and 3 debut 45a's: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17224

Memories from a 1980s Toy Shop: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24289

jedisearcher
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:50 pm

Re: Does Trade Bait Work?

Postby jedisearcher » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:59 pm

wrighty wrote:And also sometimes you have to actually trade something you want for something you want more, sacrifice. :D


And this :lol:
WTB thread - most Palitoy 30b's and 3 debut 45a's: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17224

Memories from a 1980s Toy Shop: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24289

User avatar
yoda
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:13 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Does Trade Bait Work?

Postby yoda » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:09 pm

jedisearcher wrote:
Wreck-It Ralph wrote:I do have some rare 41/45A MOC to trade I just guess they must be a lot less desirable than 30 backs!


Sorry, very wrong. If a collector collects 45as then they are what’s extremely desirable to that collector. They are just as valuable to that collector as your precious 30 backs are to you.

I know you’re talking generally about the marketplace but knowing a collector is stockpiling particular items for long periods of time on the off-chance that they might be useful for trade bait is going to do nothing other than piss people off.

Trade to trade, if no one wants them then sell, there are only so many Palitoy collectors out there who can/will ever want them. If they don’t want them what are you actually achieving? You’re just buying yourself more serious negative goodwill when people find out what you’ve got ...


I would agree with this.
Age is no barrier. It's a limitation you put on your mind ~Jackie Joyner-Kersee~
Arf arf arf... That's my other dog imitation. ~Sgt. Oddball.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.~Vernon Law~

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:53 pm

Re: Does Trade Bait Work?

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:13 pm

I am happy to collect 41/45A as I find any MOC with a Palitoy logo on interesting but my priority is 30 Backs. So although collecting 41/45A's I will always be prepared to trade them for the right 30 Back. Surely this is not the same as stockpiling something.

How do you know when the right time to sell is as just because someone won't trade today doesn't mean they won't trade tomorrow.
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.


Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: itfciain, robpmarsh and 18 guests