+ 20% added to European Ebay listings

Palifan

Sith Lord
Anyone else noticed that 20% is now being added to European eBay listings?

Hopefully this is what the Brexit voters were hoping for, Happy new Year!

Ian

lejackal

Grand Master
Palifan said:

Ian

Perfect timing for starting to focus a bit on a mainly French based line then :roll:

Are they adding it through the GSP?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Where is this being added? Is this when selling or buying? I've literally just won an Italian auction and have requested an invoice, but if I go to 'Pay now', nothing extra seems to be added for me...yet at least!

I was hoping a trade deal with the EU would prevent extortionate and wholly unjustified taxes being slapped on imports and exports from the EU, despite the insanity of the Leave voters winning (by the skin of their teeth, after being fed a constant stream of xenophobic scaremongering bullshit by Boris Twatson).

Palifan

Sith Lord
I'm unsure if this is on all European items being sold or just some for some reason. Also I'm not sure if it works the other way when we sell things to someone in Europe.

I'm sure someone on here will know something on this but maybe any items that were listed before January 1st are exempt and this is for items listed during this new year. It certainly bumps the prices up if you are buying from overseas and I can see maybe items staying and trading in the UK more often if this is the new normal for us.

Ian

Palifan

Sith Lord
lejackal said:
Palifan said:

Ian

Perfect timing for starting to focus a bit on a mainly French based line then :roll:

Are they adding it through the GSP?

I've just noticed some items newly listed from France that don't seem to have the 20% added to them so maybe it's not for everything although I've no idea how that would work?! Maybe it's the way it's listed or the selling format you're using but I'm sure some light will be shone on this soon enough.

Let's hope it's not going to happen with every seller though.

Ian

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah in my watch list it only seems to apply to some items, for example on one from Holland. Something to do with the status of the seller (business or personal eBay account) or the value perhaps?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
It only applies to business sellers who are VAT registered as far as I can tell. Would make sense.

Palifan

Sith Lord
theforceuk said:
It only applies to business sellers who are VAT registered as far as I can tell. Would make sense.

That's a relief for some I'm sure although it's funny that I've never noticed this before.

Ian

jayjedi

Sith Lord
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it is not just the EU, the auctions I am watching from the US and Japan also have a 20% VAT charge added to the end of sale, that is without GSP added bit too! Looks like we have to find a new way round this guys.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
jayjedi said:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it is not just the EU, the auctions I am watching from the US and Japan also have a 20% VAT charge added to the end of sale, that is without GSP added bit too! Looks like we have to find a new way round this guys.

Yeah move to Franch or Spain!

Palifan

Sith Lord
I can only see FB sales becoming stronger now and eBay will be used less outside of your own country. It's just going to push the prices up too much for the most part. I'm still unsure if this will also work the other way with us selling outside of the UK but that also probably means everything going up in price if it's being imported from now on (we pay way over the odds for Lego than the US do for instance and I can imagine that divide widening even further).

Oh well, at least I was thinking of slowing down with my collection and I may well not have much of a choice. :(

Ian

lejackal

Grand Master
I've had a look at this and I can't see how HMRC will enforce it. Sure, someone like eBay will be willing to add the 20% and pass it on but how do they seriously expect to convince businesses worldwide to get vat registered in order to sell to the uk. Also, should Johnny Foreigners Vintage Emporium choose not to sign up and then sell us stuff anyway, how on earth is the uk tax man going to (a) know and (b) enforce?

Palifan

Sith Lord
lejackal said:
I've had a look at this and I can't see how HMRC will enforce it. Sure, someone like eBay will be willing to add the 20% and pass it on but how do they seriously expect to convince businesses worldwide to get vat registered in order to sell to the uk. Also, should Johnny Foreigners Vintage Emporium choose not to sign up and then sell us stuff anyway, how on earth is the uk tax man going to (a) know and (b) enforce?

Hopefully you're right about this Carl (and I can certainly see this for the smaller companies/traders), I'm just wondering what will happen for the larger companies although i guess most of them would have been paying VAT anyway so maybe it won't make much difference (like Lego for instance).

The big vintage player here though is eBay and this just adds even more onto purchases that are made outside of the UK and I can't see how this won't effect people using it in some way (and maybe places like FB growing in popularity for buying and selling).

Ian

jayjedi

Sith Lord
theforceuk said:
jayjedi said:

Yeah move to Franch or Spain!

:lol: We are not automatically allowed anymore :roll:

Surely other sites internationally can take advantage, like others have said how do HMRC know if someone is selling Vintage Star Wars stuff from Rebel Scum to someone in the UK, maybe we should try and link with other forums and form a network of sites to buy from sellers whom are willing to dodge the extra fees, we can reciprocate from the UK. I know we can just buy from RS but maybe something more structured.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom