Artistic SWFUKers Thread as requested by Michael Sith :)

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Yes pleased with the one on the wall ( not that it will stay there :lol: )

2 Fetts on the go (and another smaller droids one) hers the other Fett started

Attachments

• IMG_3130.JPG
    IMG_3130.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3132.JPG
    IMG_3132.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 120

TWOFOOT

Jedi Master
Oil painting of Boba Fett I'm in the middle of painting. Been in the middle of painting it for well over a year. Lol. Every now and then I'll do a little bit more. :)
20181003_222536.jpg

Palifan

Sith Lord
TWOFOOT said:
Oil painting of Boba Fett I'm in the middle of painting. Been in the middle of painting it for well over a year. Lol. Every now and then I'll do a little bit more. :) 20181003_222536.jpg

That looks really nice, you need to finish it (even though it works well as it is)!

Ian

tigerham

Sith Lord
Twin30mm said:
Some great work on display in this thread. Love it.

I've been trying my hand at digital painting. Here are a couple of my efforts...

The first one is quite an old effort. Probably will change the background to a painted version of the Palitoy Death Star.
Painted in Photoshop from photo reference of my figure collection. Text/border created in Illustrator and imported.

The Leia is obviously a work in progress. Going to complete the underpainting in greyscale and then use colour 'glazes' to add colour.
Also utilising Photoshop from photo reference. I'll post updates as she progresses....

Really great Photoshop skills there. Looking good, keep it up!

Michael Sith said:
I'm sure I will go back to it an fiddle :D but done for now, already started another Fett, different style.

Enjoyed doing this one :D

Brilliant Mike, love this one. So sharp and clean.

Also loving what you're working on now, especially the one with the circle over the Fett (maybe Death Star in background, not sure). Thanks for sharing and inspiring. :)

TWOFOOT said:
Oil painting of Boba Fett I'm in the middle of painting. Been in the middle of painting it for well over a year. Lol. Every now and then I'll do a little bit more. :) 20181003_222536.jpg

This is a quality piece. Great art. Personally, I've not had the patience for oils but they really do give a rich feel to a piece. Look forward to seeing the completed canvas and as others say, it really does look great as it is. :)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
A long time ago in a galaxy identical to this one, my family moved house. I was 11 at the time and my new bedroom had previously belonged to the former owner's son,who had a dust allergy. To help keep the dust down, they had painted his walls rather than papering them. Nothing particularly unusual about that perhaps, except that they had decided to paint large spaceships on his walls! They weren't to my taste (they weren't Star Wars! :lol: ), however imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and so I immediately asked my mum if I could paint my bedroom walls with equally large pictures of my own choice! The whole house was being decorated anyway, and bless her, my mum said I could. And so, many long, laboured weeks of painstaking drawing and painting later (I never said I was fast! :lol: ), one of my walls was covered with 2-foot tall characters from the 'Peanuts' cartoon strip, and another had a 4-foot Snoopy sleeping atop his kennel :-D

I do have some old photos of those walls somewhere, but sadly not immediately to hand, so I cannot share them yet (but when I next dig them out, I will scan and post them). Anyway, I was an avid collector of the cartoon paperback books published by Coronet. I collected the 'Peanuts' books (no surprise there!), and also the similar ones featuring the US cartoons 'B.C.', 'The Wizard of Id' and 'Crock'. I also added the 'Garfield' books published by Ravette, plus I adored the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks published by Puffin, and so those made it onto my bookshelves too!

In case it isn't obvious, I already had the collecting (and hoarding!) bug even at that early age, and I continued to collect all of the books (all of which were numbered - sometimes incorrectly, which was REALLY unhelpful! :lol: ) until I eventually had full sets of all of them, which was no mean feat since most of the Coronet ones were already out of print, and hence second hand bookshops became a second home for me!

The only book series I didn't maintain were the Ravette Garfields, because I discovered the Ballantyne Books versions instead which contained every single Garfield strip ever published from strip #1 rather than just a selection, like Ravette offered. And I still have all of those books, and here they are. The various Coronet series skipped a few titles which were only published in America, so I tracked those down too and they are also shown below:

Books 01.jpg

So why mention all of this in the 'Artistic' thread? Well, the 'Peanuts' characters I painted on my bedroom walls weren't my only efforts. When one of my brothers moved out, I got a new bedroom! My mum had my old one and for some strange reason decided she didn't want 'Peanuts' characters on her walls and so painted over them! :eek: :lol:. However, to soften the blow, I was allowed to repeat the feat and decorate my new bedroom. I still loved 'Peanuts', but I wanted to paint something different. There was an old fireplace in the room which had been boarded over with a piece of 4' x 4' 8" wood, and so I hit upon the idea of painting a large mural of the cast of characters from the 'B.C.' cartoon strip on it. On the actual wall above, I added 2 scaled up (as in, as wide as the wood beneath) painted versions of two of my favourite 'Wizard of Id' and 'Crock' strips. The whole thing took me ages and again, I have photos of them (and of me painting them!) that I will dig out at some point, and I loved them! Looking at them always brought a smile to my face, and so I never got rid of them. Consequently, that's how my bedroom wall remained until I eventually moved out!

My mum sold the house and moved elsewhere not long after, and I thought I had seen the last of my artistic efforts, however out of the blue about 12 months later she surprised me by saying that she had bumped into the new owners of the house and they were going to decorate it. They would be removing the piece of wood from the fireplace, and since there was a painting on it, did we want it back? I was stunned, but thrilled, and instantly said yes, even though I had nowhere to put it. And so, a few weeks later we took receipt of my 'B.C.' mural and mum kept it in her garage, since she had the space I did not.

Time passed, and eventually she asked me if I was ever going to take the mural back. Reluctantly, I said I'd like to, but I really had nowhere to put it, and so with a heavy heart I said, 'No'. However, instead of taking it to the tip, she surprised me again by deciding to fix it to the end wall of her garage, so she could look at it every time she parked her car!

Well, it's been there for 25 years now (ouch! I'm old!), but I have recently been helping mum by taking her to various hospital appointments because of an operation. She wasn't allowed to drive for several weeks, and she needed to be driven in her car because it's easier for her to get in and out of. And every time I've taken the car out of her garage, or put it back again afterwards, I've been faced with my mural. It's old, quite dirty, and has some stains on it (plus a bit of graffiti which the new house owners' daughters had added :)). It's coated with years of grime and exhaust fumes, but it's still basically sound. And so today, I finally did what I should have done years ago and have taken some fresh photos of it. I've really gone to town taking multiple close-up shots as well as several of the whole thing, and eventually I will stitch the close-ups together in Photoshop and make a high quality version with all the marks and crap removed properly. However for now, I have done a quick-fire version of that with one of the whole image shots, cleaning off the worst of the offending grime and marks in Photoshop.

And after a post that's frankly far too long (sorry about that, Ted), here it is. And it still brings a smile to my face :D :

BC Cleaned - 1000 - 06.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
OK, I haven't found the photos yet, but I did stumble upon an old scan of some of them that I had completely forgotten about, so here they are! I've quickly stitched 3 photos together in Photoshop to recreate the full wall. Unfortunately though, the original photos weren't taken with a particularly great camera, but it still gives you the idea of what the wall looked like.

Bedroom Painting - 01 - 1000.jpg

Bedroom Painting - 02 - 1000.jpg

Bedroom Painting - 03 - 1000.jpg

Bedroom Painting - Joined 04 - 1000.jpg

grinchy

Sith Lord
brilliant fett artwork mike, really looks the part! 8)
that fett done in oils is cool, really impressed! :D
And that mural is cool, so nicely done! looks like a comic page not a hand painted mural :D

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
grinchy said:
brilliant fett artwork mike, really looks the part! 8)
that fett done in oils is cool, really impressed! :D
And that mural is cool, so nicely done! looks like a comic page not a hand painted mural :D

Palifan

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
OK, I haven't found the photos yet, but I did stumble upon an old scan of some of them that I had completely forgotten about, so here they are! I've quickly stitched 3 photos together in Photoshop to recreate the full wall. Unfortunately though, the original photos weren't taken with a particularly great camera, but it still gives you the idea of what the wall looked like.

These are really amazing paintings and so lucky that you managed to keep hold of them, they really do look like they're from a comic :D

Ian

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Palifan said:
Snaketibe said:

These are really amazing paintings and so lucky that you managed to keep hold of them, they really do look like they're from a comic :D

Ian
Thanks Ian :)

I do only have the B.C. mural though as that was on the piece of wood which was removed from in front of the fireplace. The other two comic strips were painted directly onto the wall and hence will have been long-since decorated over by the new house owners. Still, I'm glad even one of the three was salvaged :-D

Jeremy

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Picked up the brushes again today after a long time, work on this and see where it goes

Attachments

• IMG_4470.JPG
    IMG_4470.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 60

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Michael Sith said:
Picked up the brushes again today after a long time, work on this and see where it goes

Looking good Mike, after receiving my canvas I was spurred on to buying a canvas and having a bash at a SW themed painting. Not sure on what to do yet but probably a mando theme 👌😎

Palifan

Sith Lord
Great start mike and nice to see you back on it with the paintings. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Ian

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Here's a frame I put together today with some figures I had lying about and a sample of wallpaper from B&Q, the frame is a good old trusty Ribba from IKEA 😁

20200701_181318.jpg

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Ruby2511 said:
Here's a frame I put together today with some figures I had lying about and a sample of wallpaper from B&Q, the frame is a good old trusty Ribba from IKEA 😁

20200701_181318.jpg

Nice one, that's really smart.

Latest posts

Top Bottom