Beginner dos and don'ts

Wild Whiphid

Padawan
Hey all,

Any of the collecting grandmasters over here got any good "dos" or "dont's" for a beginning vintage collector?
I haven't been able to find a specific topic about this, if there is, kick my *ss over there please :D

I've recently started collecting (loose) vintage figures. I'm not a newbie in the whole field of collecting, as I have been collecting modern SW for the last 16 years. But obviously, vintage is a whole different game...
One "don't" I'm sticking to atm is not buying a (near-)complete collection, as that takes away all the fun for me.

Anything to keep in mind while expanding the collection?
Much appreciated! :mrgreen:

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
If your collecting loose figures you may get stung on weapons.

As a start- check out this fantastic guide:

http://www.imperialgunnery.com/

Badderius

Jedi Knight
Loose figures are a nightmare on ebay at the moment, repro weapons ect.

Do: Purchase from the forum, legit and policed by collectors.

Don't: Take a bet on ebay with loose figures, repro city.

Do: Enjoy it, tis addictive :)

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Don't overspend - set a limit and stick to it

Don't try and compete with other collectors - your collection is personal to you, just because other people collect doesn't mean you have to as well

Don't cut down on spending on other things like drink, holidays, blu rays food etc

Don't spend time trying to rationalise/justify your purchases to your family

Do realise that you'll never stick to the above - Star Wars collecting hits that magic spot in all of us and except you will no longer have spare cash :D

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Don't spend 10 minutes listing do s and don't s that when you submit...disappear into the ether( like I've just done) :roll:

In synopsis.....buy on this forum, forget eBay, enjoy your collecting, have a focus, complete that before moving to your next ( of which I can assure you there will be many)

Fantastic forum, fantastic guys, it's all you need

Enjoy :wink:

TC-14

Sith Lord
db94 said:
Don't overspend - set a limit and stick to it

Don't try and compete with other collectors - your collection is personal to you, just because other people collect doesn't mean you have to as well

Don't cut down on spending on other things like drink, holidays, blu rays food etc

Don't spend time trying to rationalise/justify your purchases to your family

Do realise that you'll never stick to the above - Star Wars collecting hits that magic spot in all of us and except you will no longer have spare cash :D

Seconded to all of the above from db and Mike's suggestions as well :D Amazing how you get drawn back into collecting, but I'll have to admit: personally, I didn't put up much resistance. Enjoy, my friend- and seek the advice of the trusted members on here and you won't go far wrong. I've discovered that already.

Martin

mumbo

Sith Lord
Lots of good advice already put forward.

Just remember that whenever you miss out on a figure or item don't fret as there will always be another that comes along. So therefore be sure to stick to a budget when spending.

Try and avoid eBay and stick to purchasing on the forum.

And just enjoy the benefits of what this forum has to offer, valuable knowledge, inspirational displays, great pick ups, open banter and good people :)

Wild Whiphid

Padawan
mumbo said:
Try and avoid eBay and stick to purchasing on the forum.

Yes, I've already noticed that this forum is a way better place than eBay.
Here you know it's collectors, who are honestly helping out each other by making fair deals for quality items, not kriffing scalpers trying to make a quick buck.

itfciain

Grand Master
Would agree with everything being said.

eBay has gotten worse over the past couple of years - especially after they took away the vintage section. You have to trawl through 100's of modern items to even find anything vintage and when you do it is often full of a load of crap - either reproduction or false advertising (ie it's mint - apart from missing a leg!)

Agree with the point in collecting for yourself - don't be worried about what/how other people collect, just make sure you enjoy your collection.

Items will show up regularly so don't beat yourself up if you don't get the first one you see - it is amazing what people will pay for a Yak Face when there are so many about

Most importantly though - enjoy it :D

x-pack

Grand Master
Good thread.

Collect what you like. I collect ESB backs because that's what i started with when i was a kid. Whatever floats your boat stick with that otherwise you 'll most likely make purchases that you later regret ..well not regret but wish you went with something else :) A good collection of loose figure is a great starter.

Deffo buy on here. Even better, buy from me :wink:

Wild Whiphid

Padawan
x-pack said:
Deffo buy on here. Even better, buy from me :wink:

:lol: :lol: Just bought some 14 figures on here, so half my current collection is from this forum already.

Next thing I'm going to do is get one of the small showcases I left at my parents house, because I did not have a use for it back when I moved (my modern collection was upgraded to two large cabinets). These figures deserve their own place.

Dark Sith Lord

Grand Master
Maulster79 said:
If your collecting loose figures you may get stung on weapons.

As a start- check out this fantastic guide:

http://www.imperialgunnery.com/

Echo everything that has been mentioned but particulary the above!

What a fantastic guide! 8)

Badderius

Jedi Knight
Do check out our own watch out thread, due to some superb detective work by fellow forum members they have exposed some right tossers on here, some coming back under a different name.

Likewise check out the feedback section on here, those who pull a fast one or try to scam are named and shamed very quickly.

Cheers

Garry

itfciain

Grand Master
Cc4rhu said:
Do - check itfciain's FS threads for quality goodies
Don't - check itfciain's FS threads - (It can get addictive)

:lol:

I like it :D

Might be a new one up today :wink:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom