Best practices for selling rare vintage star wars

chazb73

Sith Lord
Given the recent epic Palitoy Chewbacca auction I was wondering what are the best practices for selling rarer stuff?
Would it be better to sell those on sites such as this? giving those ebay fees, and thats not to mention some of the horror stories you here about some ebay buyers/sellers.... :?

Cheers Guys

Dark Sith Lord

Grand Master
Hi mate one of the best ways to sell rarer still is loads of pics detailed description, advertise it to as many potential buyers as possible and also possible make sure you add OBO to your price 8)

itfciain

Grand Master
Thats a good question. In some ways selling on the boards can be a lot safer and you are less likely to get people out to scam you. The down side is that you have to be quite firm with the price that you want - this can be a double edged sword in so far as you will get what you want but you take the chance of a auction style bid-ff between people desperate to egt their hands on your item. The Chewie is a fine example of that - there is no way that anyone would have thought it could reach that price - all the people in the know though it would do well to get to the £2500 mark.

I have to say that with that auction I think the seller did a good job - he out up plenty of pictures, a very good back story and then came onto both here and RS to advertise the item but was very personable in doing so.

PGowdy

Grand Master
I find it much easier to sell on ebay. I tried selling on the boards a few times but there's just not enough customers and things can sit for weeks with no bites even at a bargain price. And if you sell on RS be prepared for a bararge of idiots messaging you. I remember when i was trying to sell my Top Toys Stormtrooper there. I had it up for £90 quid and i had lowball after lowball offer with one "experienced" member telling me it was worth nowhere near what i was asking. I even accepted one offer of £85 (including free delivery!) from one french twat but then when i asked him to pay by gift he said he would not so the deal fell through. In the end i took it down and out it on ebay where it sold for £117. Now 9 times out of 10 i just go straight to ebay. It's just less ****ing around.

chazb73

Sith Lord
Some great comments there guys. I have only used ebay to buy/sell. I agree the benefit of selling on here is you are not going to be screwed (non of that "I didn't recieve it crap") which is often a concern.

But the bidding on ebay with Chewie was also exciting even for us bystanders never mind the seller. I agree he did a really good job in the promotion side of things (killer fees tho!!) :shock:

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I would also reply to every message ASAP. Especially if the item is expensive. Nothing zaps confidence in a buyer like poor communication. Even after the funds have been transferred.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
All I ever get on RS are stupid low ball offers. I don't know what it is about that place, all I get are offers sub 40% of asking price! :roll:

søren

Jedi Knight
Sorry to hear that some off you guys had such bad experience on RS , I sold and tradet a lot of stuff there ( and here ) . And newer had that kind of bad experience .

I have never tryed selling on eBay , but I can see i must try that .

As for the question : lots of good pictures , good back story and description. And it Always eases my mind if seller has more then just one thing for sale . Plus writes that it is not a reseal , recard or any other repo crap .

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I also haven't had too much trouble selling on RS (although it's been a few years admittedly.) I think that often the reason things don't sell on forums is that the sellers are usually clued up, and expect to make a profit on everything. And unless your item is priced to sell, you're only going to sell it if somebody really wants it, which can take time. I often browse the for sale sections on all the forums and think the prices are usually fiar, but not cheap enough to encourage me to buy. I like a bargain :)

Badderius

Jedi Knight
Pictures, back story total echo what has been said. I listed a fair few MOCs here and SWCC but no offers, even at what I thought was a low price.

Went to Ebay and each figure sold more for what was listed on the forums, even taking into consideration the fees made more there.

As for RS, never sold on there, but have purchasd a few fair items, all been superb start to finish (Long may that continue).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom