Staff member
Supporter
What a price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190728407877

I don't suppose you got them Chris!?

itfciain

Grand Master
Now that was a find

I like the question about a payment plan - the guy said he would be happy to wait for 3 days ! Not sure he knew how much these would sell for

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
His estate find is epic. He has had lots of great pieces.

That's a crazy price. Won't be buying those anytime soon.

itfciain

Grand Master
This was the guy with the shop displays as well

Think his Ebay fees are going to be quite high this month :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/csc/johncheney66/m.html?LH_Complete=1&_ipg=25&_since=15&_sop=13&_rdc=1

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Are they actually worth anywhere near that? I always thought 3 packs were around $1000 each, even prototype ones don't seem to go for that kind of money.

BlueDog

Sith Lord
:shock: I think I remember reading somewhere that the Bespin 3 pack with Luke was one of the rarer sets, had no idea it was worth that much.

I've seen the villain set with Fett go for over $3000 in the past

Probably wrong but I'm sure Chris will comment soon.

poncho

Grand Master
thats a crazy price! :shock: mint as though, epic find! do you think the person overpayed? ive no idea of value on these sorts of things! wonders if hes a member on here or rs, bet who ever won them is gonna get them afa'd.

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
So if they do get AFA'd (and i agree at that price they will, if only to ensure they are properly protected) what would the bump in price tag become. I just showed this link to a few guys in the office that give me a hard time over my spending habits, needless to say there were a lot of jaws hitting the ground, mine included...

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
Sad in one respect, as it was an estate sale find.....another collector has passed away. I wonder if his wife or family just liquidated his stuff not knowing or caring about the value.

Stormtrooper37

Sith Lord
My knowledge of 3 packs is virtually nil except that they are very expensive, I assume some buyers out there wanted these ones badly and that's why they ended up at that price, supply and demand does dictate a lot in this game.

More vintage 3 packs on ebay, wonder what these will end up going for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Wars-Vintage-3-Pack-Droid-Set-AFA-80-Ultra-Rare-/290779521993?pt=Science_Fiction&hash=item43b3cf63c9

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Wars-ESB-Vintage-3-Pack-Imperial-Set-mit-Dengar-AFA-75-Ultra-Rare-/290779524071?pt=Science_Fiction&hash=item43b3cf6be7

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
Hi guys, I was wondering when this thread might appear. I'm glad this didn't arrive mid auction like on another forum. That was a joke and not really productive. Anyways, I think whatever the case, this is an historic auction for 3 packs and for vintage star wars in general.

I 100% agree with Todd in hoping that the family of whoever these items belonged to saw a good return from what was sold. It was one hell of a find by all accounts.

The three ESB series one sets in this auction are commonly referred to in three pack circles as the trifecta which translates as the perfect three. A term derived from horse racing I believe.

They are considered the hardest three pack sets to find with around five or six graded examples of each and probably double that ungraded. The simple fact of the matter is that three pack collecting tends to take place behind closed doors by and large and sets like these are sold through private conversation amongst collectors.

I think the price the price they realised is a reflection of the circumstances in which they turned up. The fact they turned up all together from one find all bought from the same store (king Normans) added to the appeal in my opinion. I was surprised that they went quite as high as they did considering the tape seals had perished and they would only achieve q grades at grading.

The demand for three packs is extensive and for these three in particular. If you are ever to get very close to finish a full run of sixteen sets it tends to come down to trying to find one of these sets to finish the run. For me personally I think they went too high but as has been said many times, items are worth what anyone is willing to pay on a given day. I wouldnt be surprised if the sale of these sets brought someone very close to completing their run. If money is no real object then I can see why someone went for them . You could wait forever for an auction like this to repeat itself.

One thing is for sure. It was fun to watch from the point of view of a collector and has raised the bar and profile of three pack pricing on these esb series one sets.

I hope this is of some help. If anyone has any questions. Please feel free to ask. If you hadn't guessed, I like talking about three packs.

Chris.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom