Bradford City fire: Thirty-six years on

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
Today, 11th May, is the 36th anniversary of the Bradford City fire. The fire claimed 56 victims; 54 Bradford City supporters and 2 Lincoln supporters. I was 11 at the time and remember vividly seeing the coverage, then the next day hearing rumours that 2 lads from our school had died in the fire. It turned out to be true; they both died with their Dad.

As time passes there are obviously people who either haven't heard of it or know very little of it. There are two excellent documentaries which have been produced over the years; one for the 25th anniversary by Football Focus and one from BT. Both are online at:

BBC: https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/547872707

BT: https://www.bt.com/sport/watch/video/clips/2015/may/one-day-in-may-the-story-of-the-bradford-city-fire

These are difficult to watch but really do cover it well. The BT documentary is presented by Gabby Logan who was there on the day.

There's also a fantastic book which covers the day, the aftermath and inquiry in detail. It's essential and sobering reading. It's called "Four Minutes to Hell" and was written by Paul Firth. Sadly Paul, a City fan, died this year but his legacy lives on through a book that's essential reading.

RIP to the 56 people who left home to watch a football match but never returned.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Thanks for this.
I'm sure that remember watching this as it happened, harrowing.

lejackal

Grand Master
Incredibly sad and gets nowhere near the airtime that incidents involving other clubs does. RiP

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
No one who goes to watch a football match deserves to die at it.
Thankfully lessons where learned but it is tragic it took so many to die for it to happen.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yes tragic, I don't remember it when it happened, but my next door neighbour was a fire chief and he gave me their video of the tragedy and it really made me aware of the dangers of fire at a young age. Thanks for posting this RIP to all 56 people who lost their lives.

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Remember watching it on TV. Everyone just sitting in silence.
Tragedies like this and Kings Cross resulted in many changes that hopefully will prevent anything similar happening again. I really hope that brings some kind of comfort to all the families involved.
Can't believe it's been 36 years.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom