collecting as an investment

mash

Sith Lord
rather than building up a stack of cash in a bank
is it worth collecting a few vintage figures as an investment for the kids?what would you say is the best that holds its value loose, carded or vehicles etc???

Dom

Jedi Master
To be honest mate, none of it is. Invest in property, stocks, anything like that. This stuff well have its time and sooner or later be worth nothing.

spoons

Grand Master
Dom said:
To be honest mate, none of it is. Invest in property, stocks, anything like that. This stuff well have its time and sooner or later be worth nothing.

Wise words :wink:

han duo

Sith Lord
Dom said:

true ...but ive heard that investing in KY jelly is a safe bet at the minute,, has anyone else noticed the growing number of gay men, where i live its getting like san fransico and the village people all rolled into one...! the population is going to die out ,,,,,can you remember about 15 years ago it was only some celebritys that you heard of that liked to stab the old poo pipe but now its more popular than a holiday to turkey !

mash

Sith Lord
you guys dont think that a complete collection of loose figures packed away for 17 years in a box will gain in value?? (my lad will be 18 in 17 years time)

lee gray

Sith Lord
i use to think even if i got no money in the bank atleast if i am poor i can sell some of my figures and atleast get my money back but instead of that i always seem to end up worse off, seems that when i want a certain figure it goes for a lot but when i want to sell that same certain figure all of a sudden it seems no one else is interested at anywhere near the price i paid so you got to make the right choices

spoons

Grand Master
mash said:
you guys dont think that a complete collection of loose figures packed away for 17 years in a box will gain in value?? (my lad will be 18 in 17 years time)

I think it would probably hold its relative value, but its unlikely to gain in price.

The only way for prices to increase is for demand to outstrip supply, I reckon the next generation are going to be more interested in collecting toys from their childhood rather than their father's childhood toys.

Fitzy

Jedi Knight
I think that prices will go up but only after about 20 years.

It is to do with the age of the people collecting. At the minute most people of the generation who had them as children will be somewhere around 30ish. For the time being mortgages and kids will be priority.

In about 20 years these people will have larger disposable incomes and will be looking to recapture a little bit of their childhood.

I would make the analogy of people in their late 50s and early 60s who collect railway memorabilia. This stuff goes for **** loads, as it was a popular thing back in the 1950s.

I would say that condition will become even more important in the future.

Dom

Jedi Master
Prices will go up on some things, but carded will go yellow AFA or not. A loose set is a good piece as its the sort of thing even a regular guy would want. Its the high value stuff that will loose the most money.

han duo

Sith Lord
it depends on how long your investing for .. in the long term the carded afa figures will have yellow bubbles or even bubbles that fall off , so to be honest loose original figures (in mint condition)would be the best investment long term as they are cheaper and they will not fade or change., and maybe a collection of cardbacks in good condition to go with them as they will not change either ...

craignwo4life

Sith Lord
Personally collecting should only be used as a hobby although when I buy something expensive I always tell myself it will be an investment that will make me money in the long run !! :oops: :lol:

The hard part is knowing when to sell. Do it too soon and you may regret it and end up collecting all over again but leave it too late and you may have trouble giving it away. :(

For the first time in 3 years of collecting I am not bidding on variants that I would have snapped up a couple of months ago as I want to try and save some money although I keep getting tempted by some bootlegs that people keep offering me !! 8)

The only safe investment generally is property and I love watching stuff like "Property Ladder" and "Homes under the hammer" watching those lucky bastards buy houses cheap, do them up and sell or rent them for a nice profit !! :evil:

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
You only have to look at Dinky Toys, Triang/Hornby Trains, Meccano etc all that stuff goes for mega money (especially the Dinkys) as people in their 40's, 50's and older are still wanting them. People will always collect and I think theres years and years left in Star Wars yet - especially with the TV Series etc.

I bought a few bits about five years ago, then sold them, and last year decided I wanted it all back and more. This time as well as enjoying it I'm also thinking of future value. Not all bubbles will yellow and fall off and I think a good proportion of carded figs will be around in 50 years time - if looked after.

vintagefan77

Padawan
I think not all stuff will yellow if its properly looked after. For example my mint comics from 10 years ago have really yellowed, but the bagged ones still look near mint. Plastic is another story but it's got to be how you store them and how well the bubbles are sealed.

I've always thought of collecting as a hobby like going to the movies or down the pub. You pay out all that cash but its for the enjoyment of collecting as an activity too. I've spent 300 quids this last month and I have some nice MOC figs to show for it, I enjoyed finding them and showing them off and that's the reason I collect. For the same money I could have 3 nights out in London, a few xbox games, or a city break in Europe with the gf. :wink:

The funny thing about collecting is that once you have a full set hardly anyone would really buy it off you. One day it'll be split up and other people will be collecting their own set and buy a couple. :lol:

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
Apparently its impurities in the air and pollution that can cause bubbles to yellow (probably combined with sunlight as well). I reckon a decent acrylic case or AFA UV resistant case will slow the process a bit or stop it from starting.

They are only toys granted but they're also an important part of my past and I have a lot of memories tied up in them. I don't mind spending silly amounts of money on them as I'd only piss it up the wall or waste it on the latest gadget that will be worth bugger all in 12 months time anyway :wink:

TWOFOOT

Jedi Master
I have bought and sold quite a lot of vintage stuff and to be honest its not that often you make a profit on vintage stuff. It seems the market is very stable at the moment with prices staying about the same. Even the rerelease of the original trilogy didnt spark the buying feever many thought it would. I honestly do not believe a mint set of loose figures will be worth much more in 20 years time (taking into account inflation) than it is now. Eventually a lot of collectors will sell up and this will lead to more figures in the market place with less collectors. So anything that is not mint will be worth nothing.

mash

Sith Lord
some good points there chaps i suppose we will never know until twenty or so years later. maybe i will put together a small selection of good figures bag em up and store them in the loft and then see what happens.

If you had to what figures would you store away???

vintagefan77

Padawan
Here's some food for thought:

The revised 1995 line, is now older than the first ROTJ figures were when POTF2 figures came out. :)

Funny how time flies and our perceptions of what is valuable change with it ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom