Edd's 90's Collection

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I don't think I have posted these photos before, so thought I would for a bit of fun. Apart from the SW Luke X-Wing which I still have, sadly all of these are long gone, but it's nice to remember what you used to have.

This is my collection circa late 90s. I started collecting in 1994, and as this was pre-internet, it took me about 5 years to put this lot together, mostly from markets and a couple of local shops that sold vintage in Poole. The vast majority of the MOCs cost me under £20, that was the going rate back then for a Jedi or Tri Logo MOC.

The first photo was my main 'display', I only had a tiny bedroom so couldn't have it all on show. The cardboard box at the end is where I kept all of the MOCs you see laid out on the bed. This is before Star Cases existed, so I used to keep them all in sandwich bags :) I sold most of these on eBay, I wonder where they are now? Let me know if you recognise anything.

As you can see I had a fair few Palitoy vehicles and MOCs, back in the 90s I used to see Palitoy stuff all the time, it was just as common as Kenner stuff. I remember seeing plenty of Palitoy logo MOCs, I just couldn't afford any of them even though they were a fraction of the price they go for now.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the photos.

starwars.jpg

2.jpg

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Here's one more - at some point I thought it would be a great idea to stick them all on the wall with drawing pins :oops:

starwars3.jpg

itfciain

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
Here's one more - at some point I thought it would be a great idea to stick them all on the wall with drawing pins :oops:

Least there is nothing 'too' expensive there with a drawing pin hole - although I bet you wouldnt mind having that Trilogo Tie Fighter Pilot back

mumbo

Sith Lord
That was a great collection there ed :) and despite the world of the wide Web making collecting an easier way to source items I reckon the original way of hunting down pieces was far more satisfying than just pressing some buttons on a mouse. The whole anticipation of turning up at a bootsale or fair and not knowing what you might stumble across and then finding an item that really made you wet your pants :D the Internet has kind of taken away the fun of the hunt. It would be great if someone on the forum did have one of your old items and was willing to sell it back to you 8) not that they'd bloody recognise it though :(

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah the 77 Back Jawa and 3PO would be handy for my new focus :lol:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Hi Edd, that was an amazing collection you had in the 90s :shock: wow. Why did you sell it ?

Wish I started to collect in 1994 8)

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Why did you sell it?

I didn't sell it all in one go, over the years I just ended up selling almost all of it as my goals changed (eg I sold most of my Kenner stuff when trying to complete a Tri Logo set.) Sadly by today's standards most of them were pretty shabby, but there was so much less choice back then you couldn't be fussy about condition. Standards were much lower too, my Luke X-Wing was considered a real minter, but now it would probably only grade an AFA 75 because of the card crease.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
Pomse2001 said:
Why did you sell it?

I didn't sell it all in one go, over the years I just ended up selling almost all of it as my goals changed (eg I sold most of my Kenner stuff when trying to complete a Tri Logo set.) Sadly by today's standards most of them were pretty shabby, but there was so much less choice back then you couldn't be fussy about condition. Standards were much lower too, my Luke X-Wing was considered a real minter, but now it would probably only grade an AFA 75 because of the card crease.

So you changed focus :D Do you miss the items you had in the 90s ?

Djbighair

Jedi Master
Great, set up. I loved hunting down stuff back then. Manchester always had some shops till a bomb went off....i always wondered what happened to everything in the corn exchange that day.

poncho

Grand Master
ace pics love the idea of sticking them up with drawing pins lol :) , i dont suppose starcases were the norm back then or common place to get hold off

Joe

Grand Master
Love these old pictures Edd! I must remember to bug you again about that interview for the site as I am sure you have a bunch of pictures of your old Trilogo stuff :)

Jedi_june

Sith Lord
Wow edd you had a cool collection :shock: love the way you displayed them on the wall. Must have been great hunting for those items, makes me wish I would have started collecting in the 90's with the prices they used to go for. Plus it's so lame now buying online :roll: I think ima start hitting up some flea markets and estate sales to see if I get lucky lol.

And on a side note: Love the drapes bro 8)

shawn_k

Sith Lord
These are great pictures Edd. I need to dig out a few more that I took back then and scan them. I was only going for loose then though when really in hindsight that was the ideal time to be collecting MOCs.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Stormtrooper37 said:
Under £20 for a MOC Trilogo Tie Fighter Pilot - that was the period to collect Trilogo's.

Yeah tri logos were dirt cheap in the 90s, even into the 00s, they only became fashionable in about 2006. I paid significantly less per figure on average than most sell for now when I did my run.

Snake_eyes_82

Jedi Master
Yea I love the pics edd it's always cool to see stuff from back in the day.
I had a friend at the top of my st that collected in the 90s but he kept everything in his garage and his parents were weird about other ppl seeing it :? It was an odd set up I know they had him prepped to keep it all as minty as pos for future resale.

Joe

Grand Master
Snake_eyes_82 said:
Yea I love the pics edd it's always cool to see stuff from back in the day.
I had a friend at the top of my st that collected in the 90s but he kept everything in his garage and his parents were weird about other ppl seeing it :? It was an odd set up I know they had him prepped to keep it all as minty as pos for future resale.

His name wasn't Billy was it :lol: :lol:

theslider

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:

I love this; no matter how heinous it seems now, it looks great! Was this in your student days by any chance Edd?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
theslider said:
I love this; no matter how heinous it seems now, it looks great! Was this in your student days by any chance Edd?

Yes it must have been about 1999 that I pinned them on the wall, so I would have been at college!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom