Euro 2016 Thread

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Following that farce of a PL season, let's look forward to the Euros where we'll no doubt flounder due to our "big clubs" not investing in homegrown talent yet again :lol: Here's the official squad named today:

Goalkeepers
Joe Hart (Manchester City), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Tom Heaton (Burnley).

Defenders
Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur), Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool).

Midfielders
Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Ross Barkley (Everton), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Danny Drinkwater (Leicester City), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Andros Townsend (Newcastle United), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Strikers
Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United).

Pretty happy with it overall. Alli was a must, the past four Spurs games have proved just how useless they are without him. I hope he can grow up and stop fighting with everybody in the next few weeks, we already have Wilshere for that job. I think Defoe could have been in with a shout following his recent form, however can't complain with Vardy and top scorer of the season Kane.

Not overly optimistic about the defence, Kyle Walker is past it IMO and Danny Rose thinks he's a striker. works OK in Pocchetino's style, not sure how it will work under Roy.

Section 8

Sith Lord
I'd be more worried about the midfield. Some half baked players and substitutes making up most of it.

Lots of lesser names so we may see some effort in a tournament for once. Rather than the usual excuse of big name players, "Oh, it's been a long season and their all tired"

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
If Leicester can win the Premeirship then England can win Euro 16. Oh hang on a minute did I say England, don't be stupid I meant Wales.

Really looking forward to the feast of football though.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
theforceuk said:
If Leicester can win the Premeirship then England can win Euro 16.

Exactly, if Newcastle can beat Spurs 5-1 with 10 men, San Marino can win the Euros! It's the season of dreams :lol:

itfciain

Grand Master
Personally I am really happy with that squad - when you think that the bulk of it is made up from starters in the top four teams in the Prem and there is a lot less pressure on them than normal then I have a sneeky feeling we might do OK

I would start with the following

Hart
Clyne Cahill Smalling Rose

Dier Drinkwater

Ali Wiltshire

Kane Vardy

With the option to bring on the likes of Sterling, Townsend and Sturridge for some width

When you look at the squad then really with the exception of Luke Shaw and Danny Welbeck then it is the strongest we could name - Defoe scores goals for sure but does he offer anything else? A fit Andy Carrol brings something different but not sure he fits in with the style that England play and there is no great reason to build a team around him when Vardy and Kane have been having a great season

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I agree with most of your choices, but would replace Wilshere with Rooney. There's no way Rooney is good enough to be up front in this squad, however I do think he adds a bit of leadership and experience to a team, and watching Spurs recently is what the likes of Alli, Dier and Kane lack sometimes.

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Almost time to break out my car flag and show a little of my home country's pride again, as I do every other year. :)

A little surprised Rooney is still in the lineup. Nice he finally got a goal last World Cup, but I think he can now be replaced on the national team.

Looks like we have one of the relatively easier groups, so hopefully we can win that and Joe Hart can be there with the highlight saves when needed.

Ian

itfciain

Grand Master
That is a fair shout and I think a lot will depend on how Wiltshire does in the friendlies - whatever people say about Rooney he is still leading goalscorer for England and not a bad squad player to have for sure

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Come on then who's going to win it I'm going Spain, France or Germany. :lol:

Their is a case for Rooney to be in the Squad and I can see that point, but their is no way and I mean no way he should start for England any more, this squad is about the future not the past.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
I agree with most of your choices, but would replace Wilshere with Rooney. There's no way Rooney is good enough to be up front in this squad, however I do think he adds a bit of leadership and experience to a team, and watching Spurs recently is what the likes of Alli, Dier and Kane lack sometimes.

Apparently Shearer agrees :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36305496

Richard_H

Grand Master
England are not going to win theEuros. Don't expect them too. I just want them to try, not to let us down.

Glad Walcott wasn't selected ( Arsenal fan too!) and pleased with most of the selection. Rooney why? The last part of the failed golden generation. Had his chance(s) now go.
Surprised Jagielka didn't get the nod as I rate him.
I'd be happy with a strong group finish and if we go out in the next round at least do it with pride.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
itfciain said:
I would start with the following

Hart
Clyne Cahill Smalling Rose

Dier Drinkwater

Ali Wiltshire

Kane Vardy

What is that in midfield with Delli Ali!? :shock: :eek:
Jack "I've played 90 mins this season so obviously I deserve to be in the squad" Wiltshire!?

No way. Should be nowhere near the squad. He's been injured all season, how can he possibly deserve a spot in the squad, never mind the team? He's no more than a good PL player. If he was an Alan Shearer/Michael Owen at their peak, then fair enough, but he's a run of the mill midfielder.

edd_jedi said:

Edd, the guys in white coats are en route to pick you up!
ROONEY!? In midfield?
The guy is a fat granny shagging, smoking, has been. He looks slow and out of place in the slowest/dullest Utd team the world has ever seen. If he wasn't Utd Captain LVG wouldn't have picked him and that's in one of the worst Utd teams/squads for years. I agree he's not good enough to play up front. His legs have gone and he can't think quick enough to get into space in the box. But ehhh to play in midfield you need MORE legs and a faster brain. He will be a complete and utter liability in midfield against any of the decent sides.

Hand on heart I wouldn't even have picked him (or Wilshire). Hoddle left Gazza behind when he started to go down hill, Hodgson should have done the same with Wayne.

I do feel sorry for Defoe and Carroll, both would have been great plan B's if England needed a goal, but neither offer enough other than that.
Your defence does look a bit ropey, but lets be fair, you'll get out of the group and then it's pot luck. Spain, France or Germany will beat you without breaking sweat. It's just a case of how far do you go before you end up playing one of them.

itfciain

Grand Master
weasel said:
Jack "I've played 90 mins this season so obviously I deserve to be in the squad" Wiltshire!?

Who would you pick Weas?

weasel said:
But ehhh to play in midfield you need MORE legs and a faster brain. He will be a complete and utter liability in midfield against any of the decent sides.

Pirlo managed to do a pretty decent job with no legs - I genuinely think people underestimate Rooneys footballing ability - the guy has been playing top level football for nearly 14 years now - there are not many pros out there that have done that - especially that can play for England

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
itfciain said:
weasel said:

Who would you pick Weas?

weasel said:
But ehhh to play in midfield you need MORE legs and a faster brain. He will be a complete and utter liability in midfield against any of the decent sides.

Pirlo managed to do a pretty decent job with no legs - I genuinely think people underestimate Rooneys footballing ability - the guy has been playing top level football for nearly 14 years now - there are not many pros out there that have done that - especially that can play for England

To start instead of Wilshire, or to take his spot in the squad.

I take your point on Pirlo. Although that guy was a class act for most of his career (on AND off the pitch). He was more of a midfield Teddy Sheringham. Never overly quick over 5-10 yards but always half a second ahead of the game mentally. Wazza has never had that. Besides, I don't think you can learn a new position in the space of a few weeks/months. Not one as different from striker as deep lying play maker/midfielder. It's a totally different mental approach.
He's being shoe-horned into the team purely on reputation. If he was Danny Drinkwater or your boy Gosling from Bournemouth, no one would be even mentioning his name. But because he WAS good player he gets to go.
The difference between a top (and I mean winner or 'world class') manager and a good manager is ruthlessness. Look how many times Fergy cut a player loose when he thought he was past his best. Yeah he made a few mistakes (Becks and Stam) but for the most part he was spot on. That's part of the reason Utd were so successful. Start to coast and you were gone. No second chance. Compare that with Wenger and you see why Arsenal have won FA (of note) for 10 years.
Uncle Woy was never gonna be ruthless and leave him behind and that's why England will get found out.
Realistically Wayne Rooney's best years are long gone. Ask any Utd fan. England would have been much better off taking a young hungry player. Harry Kane and Vardy can run around up top, Sturridge is there for back up (as would wellbeck have been). There's enough young talented midfielders that you don't need to shoe horn a plodding striker in there just cos he's the only guy with a bit of experience.

On that note, from memory your four full back have about 16 caps between them. WOY!? What have you been doing for the last 2 years. If you worried about Leighton Baines fitness/age surely you should have been giving someone else a bit of experience. Half a dozen caps is piss poor preparation for a European Championships

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
As I said before I think experience and level headedness is what Rooney offers, I often see him in games making important challenges at the back, encouraging players to keep trying when things aren't going their way etc. And that's what Spurs have been lacking outfield this season, a leader.

Section 8

Sith Lord
Rooney is still Englands best player. I never saw him being carted off for having tired legs in the past tournaments despite perhaps a lack of stand out performances. He's had a quiet season due to being injured or Man Utd being shite and boring.

I think he will be 1st on the team sheet so long as he's fully fit and do well behind a front man. I predict a good tournament from him so long as the style suits him.

My squad: 4 - 4 - 1 -1

Hart

Walker, Stones, Smalling, Bertrand

Townsend, Barkley, Drinkwater, Sterling

Rooney, Vardy

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Rooney was class last night and should probably be in the squad, but Bournemouth were on holiday and its the best I've seen him play for about 3 years. Those performances are phew and far between, their is no way he should start ahead of Kane or Vardy.

In fact I would pick Rashford infront of him!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom