Euro 2016 Thread

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
I thought it looked like about half of the English players rather wanted to leave than remain in the tournament! 8)

I'll get my coat now. :?

decipher28

Padawan
What a shower of shite,england were abyssmal.

It's an embarassement to lose to Iceland no disrespect to them,but a team who's players play in the top league in the world,play in champions league,uefa cup etc.Should play a hell of better than what I saw tonight.

Bitterly dissapointed.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Shocking to watch, no other way to put it.

Disjointed lacklustre display, the players seemed to freeze, even the basics went to pot.
You cannot blame single players here, that was a team non performance.
Gutted

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Good God.. what a dreadful game from start to finish. Not sure what to say at all really, can't think of one even half decent attempt at a performance. Even as a Spurs fan I can't defend any of their actions, but I don't think the blame lays solely with them either. Not one player can walk away with their head held high.

monkeyboy

Padawan
Have you seen the Hodgson quitting video? It's hilarious, he describes the team as young (ok maybe) hugely talented (start laughin) hungry (for money Roy, for money) players who gave their all (was I even watching the same games?)

Section 8

Sith Lord
They thought it would be easy and clearly totally **** themselves when they went behind. The pundits said and probably everyone else thought England would play with a lot of width to stretch and create problems against a defensive side. So we choose to play with no wingers at all...none. :roll:

Man of the match - Rashford.

yoda

Sith Lord
I only got to see the second half was rashford carrying an injury going into that game? Was he capable of a full half? From what I watched 4 or 5minutes from him he was causing problems. Baffling if he can do that and they never got him on sooner. I don't watch enough of the games to know player's forms or how he played in the other games.

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
For me almost all the blame for last night is with Roy. No leadership, no idea what his best 11 was coming into the tournament. The team fell apart last night and he didn't have a clue what to do. The players' confidence was shot to hell in the second half, and I get the feeling it'll have a long-term affect on some people, much like the Norway result did with the England team 35 years ago:

Never mind no plan B, there didn't seem to be much of a plan A. Iceland were always going to play the same as Slovakia/Wales/Russia, but are much better on the break. England didn't have an answer. The defence were tested for the first time; Iceland get their first two shots on target and score both.

I was gobsmacked when Roy put Vardy on - he was never going to do much against Iceland. Rashford should've been on from the start of the second half.

I wasn't surprised at the result last night and because of that I wasn't even particularly disappointed. It would've been criminal if we'd gone through after that performance. What is disappointing is that I think we would've stood a chance against France. Their defence is also weak, but I think we're stronger (and faster) up front.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Well that was ****ing dreadful.

Not much you can do when Hart, Rooney, Sturridge, Sterling and Kane, all have absolute stinkers. They were abysmally poor in the second half (apart from Hart who didn't touch the ball, but he'd already dropped his bollock).
None of the problems was new. As I asked a week or so ago, what exactly was/is England's game plan? It looked like Woy had decided that 11 "top top" PL players bucked together should know what to do. I guess, to a degree he is right (they should still have had enough to beat Iceland), but then they all come from different teams and play different systems. That's where he comes in and says "boys, we're gonna play this way." then explains it to them. You know, on those days when you don't play, when you........train! I said all along he was a poor manager, he's just shown it. What exactly was he working on in training during the week?

On paper your squad is probably better than Italy's and definitely better than Norn Iron's, but those two sides have been coached to play a certain system. It's defensive and not great on the eye, but they all know what they are doing and it works for them. Woy's had how many years to get a system for England and he still hasn't a clue.
Kane on set pieces!? He's your main striker, WTF? He's also been **** at set pieces every time he's played in France.

Did he think Iceland were going to play some novel version of the auld Ajax system? They were always going to play the way they did. You need to work out how to break down a packed defence Woy ohh and how to defend a long throw. If only there was a side in the PL who liked long throws so the players could think "ahhh, just like the auld stoke side". Wee clue on how to break down a packed defence, speed! Both of passing and quick players. Ohh you only brought one winger and he has zero confidence. Shame you didn't think ahead and realise you may need a second winger. Still, not like you knew your group in advancer. Ohhh.......oops. I guess it's not like you have players in the PL who would have helped there, quick players with International experience like, oooh I dunno, Theo Walcott. Or quick players who were actually in form at the end of the season like ehhhh Townsend. Still, you had Henderson, Milner and a patently unfit Wilshire. They are pretty much wingers, right!?

Weird that the best player on the night was the one who had a great season and has sky high confidence, Rashford. And you weren't going to take him but for Danny Wellkack breaking.

Still, it's not all bad England fans, here's some of the favourites to replace Woy, Gareth Southgate, Fat Sam, Alan Pardew, Brendan Rodgers, Glen Hoddle, Harry Redknapp and Alan Shearer.

That's the very definition of mediocre. In fact, I'm being generous there. It's a combination of has-beens, failures, and a bloke who should never have been allowed to manage in the first place.

And, NO, you can't have Michael O'Neill!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I read somewhere that the Sun gave Wayne Rooney 8 out of 10 for that game, and Marcus Rashford got 5!?
As a Liverpool fan, and a human being, I hold the Sun in utter contempt and make no attempt to hide it. I wouldn't even wipe my ass with that newspaper. BUT am I the only one who thought Rooney was one of the worst players on the pitch!? He was solid enuf in the first 2 games, but he was absolutely stinking the other night. I also thought Rashford was England's best player, yet he gets a 5!?

Either I know FA or the Sun are utter morons. I know what one I'm going for.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Well, that was another dreadful game in what has been one of the least entertaining Euro's I can remember.
The entire second half and both p4riods of ET were utterly devoid of excitement. Even the penalties were a bit dull.

Fingers crossed one of the games this w/e is better.

So far the number of dreadful games out weighs the number of good one by about 5 to one (and that's being generous).

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah you're right Weasel, last night in particular was a real bore fest. I think international football has lost its appeal, club football is good to watch because you see teams that play well together. International football is like watching a load of random people in a park playing together for the first time.

lejackal

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
International football is like watching a load of random people in a park playing together for the first time.
The exceptions to that would be the way Iceland played to be honest and to an extent Poland in the first half last night.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Wow, now that was a game of football! Congratulations to Wales, thoroughly deserved. You have put England to shame this tournament. We have the players to do that, but are lacking something which is hard to pin down - passion, desire, leadership, all shown in abundance tonight. Really hope they beat Ronlado!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom