Euro 2021 Thread

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I know it's officially still called Euro 2020, but as that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard let's call it Euro 2021 :)

Southgate has announced his provisional England squad:

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Man Utd), Sam Johnstone (West Brom), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Sheff Utd)

Defenders: John Stones (Man City), Luke Shaw (Man Utd), Harry Maguire (Man Utd), Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Kyle Walker (Man City), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Reece James (Chelsea), Conor Coady (Wolves), Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Ben Godfrey (Everton), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid), Ben White (Brighton)

Midfielders: Mason Mount (Chelsea), Declan Rice (West Ham), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Phil Foden (Man City), Jack Grealish (Aston Villa), Kalvin Phillips (Leeds), Jesse Lingard (Man Utd), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal)

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Man Utd), Raheem Sterling (Man City), Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Mason Greenwood (Man Utd), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund)

This squad has the fewest Spurs players in recent history, although there are a couple of ex-Spurs players (soon to be three!) a relief for most I'm sure. I feel sorry for Dier being left out but after the season he's just had, he can't have any complaints, it's been a shocker.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I just realised yesterday, I have no idea who is in what group. Had a quick look, England and Scotland are in the same group. Very vague memories of hearing that.

It'll be nice to see some football I can watch as a proper neutral and that shouldn't be utterly ruined every time by VAR. Although UEFA ruined it by having six groups. 3rd place sides getting through means teams play not to lose, that's always exciting :roll:
Still UEFA think they will make more money out of it, so that's all my worries about them not having any more billions to hide in Swiss bank accounts put to rest. Them making money is the important thing. Sod competitive competitions or high quality football.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Robstyley said:
theforceuk said:
Looking forward to this, France, Belgium or Germany to win.

You spelt England wrong :!:

I'll be surprised and very happy if England get past the second round. We play horrible football relying on set pieces to win games. I can understand optamism for England fans that follow the media and don't watch them play, but if you can withstand watching them its pretty clear Southgate is a limited coach who is living of an easy World Cup draw that saw England lose to the first decent side they met which happened to be in the semi finals.

You never know though football may come home!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Robstyley said:
It was a joke Adam. But your assessment is a bit harsh and very pessimistic :lol:

I know you were joking it's hard to get your tone across with typing only! I struggle with the media hype around England and a big tournament, they have created an agenda against David De Gea even just so Henderson is considered for England IMO. I don't think my assessment is harsh at all England have done nothing but disappointment me for my entire life and I can see nothing with this England team to change that. Columbia almost knocked us out of the last Tournament!

And I really hope I'm wrong as I'm not someone that begrudges success on a team just to prove myself correct. I'll run around my village naked if we win it!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I agree with your assessment.

Now imagine how a non English person feels when the build up to any and EVERY tournament is full of the media and pundits bumming up England, spouting off about all your "world class" players, and predicting you're definitely gonna win it, or are one of the favourites. Only for the same people to turn round 2 weeks later and slate your whole squad and the manager and say how they aren't good enough/don't care/should never play for England again.

It happens EVERY SINGLE ****ING TOURNAMENT. It got boring the second time (and that was in the 90's)

Ohh and I'm not even gonna start about the half time analysis of the Northern Ireland Wales second round game four years ago that consisted of a chat about how England where preparing for their game. The first time either NI or Wales have made a major tournament for 30 yrs+ and both make it to the knock out stages so OBVIOUSLY you talk about England. :roll:

That's why large chunks of the rest of the UK cheer for your opponents :wink:

Nita Nitro

Jedi Knight
I was looking forward to picking up a Scotland top that we've actually worn at a competition for the first time since '98 - it is a special occasion type thing, but they're charging way too much for a top, so I won't bother. I'll just have to wear one of the older Scotland tops that I already own, and maybe pick up the newest one when they drop the price after we don't do much at the Euros :)

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes it's always nice to pick up a shirt as a souvenir from a memorable tournament. As you can imagine my England and Spurs shirt collections are sparse :lol:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
Yes it's always nice to pick up a shirt as a souvenir from a memorable tournament. As you can imagine my England and Spurs shirt collections are sparse :lol:

Try supporting Northern Ireland FFS.
We've made ONE tournament since '84

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
edd_jedi said:

Don't believe you, you collect loads of crap. Lol

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Anyone any predictions for the winner. I have no idea what any of the groups are even like. This whole Euro's has really passed me by. Not many overly strong squads. The likes of holland, Spain, England, Germany all have flaws. France are probably the best but even they look a bit……meh.

International football seems to be going through a bit of lull, like CL football, not many "great" sides about. A lot of teams are much of a muchness. Hopefully that makes for a better tournament, though the fact 3rd place gets out of a group doesn't bode well. We may have to wait for the knock out stages for decent games.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
After the shocking performances in the recent friendlies I think we will struggle to get out of our group, we're better than Scotland but I'm not convinced we will be Croatia or Czech Republic. At least in previous years the England squad has been full of stars, there aren't many big names or winners in this team.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
After the shocking performances in the recent friendlies I think we will struggle to get out of our group, we're better than Scotland but I'm not convinced we will be Croatia or Czech Republic. At least in previous years the England squad has been full of stars, there aren't many big names or winners in this team.

Your obviously not listening to the pundits, they all say that we will get to at least the semis, if not win it…same every tournament! :roll:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Mini99 said:
edd_jedi said:

Your obviously not listening to the pundits, they all say that we will get to at least the semis, if not win it…same every tournament! :roll:

You beat me to it. All I have heard all week is how good this England team is and how you have great strength in depth and you haven't had that before.

Am I missing something? You have good forward options. Though if Harry Kane breaks you are fooked as the rest are kids or Rashford who is very hit or miss. Then there is the workmanlike midfield (I count Foden and Mount as forwards) granted that hasnt stopped Pool from winning things. As for your defence……it's BANG average. Fat Maguire is a slow plodder, and injured. Stones has a mistake in him. Shaw is ok. You do have decent RB options. And ehhh your keeper is abysmal (if it's pickford) or incredibly inexperienced if it's someone else.
I don't see how that makes a great squad and fantastic strength in depth.

But then the media do this EVERY ****ING TIME. When you don't win it, all the players will instantly become shite show ponies.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I don't have that much of a problem with the squad on paper it is probably only worth less than French squad, they should go deep, but they probably won't. First problem for me is Southgate, sooooooooooo limited tactically and will probably play a back 5, say no more. Second problem is the experience isn't their such a young squad. The last issue for me is England never build a team and this tournament is no different.

I don't won't to piss on anyone's optimism, I obviously want England to win it, but I've seen it happen over and over again with England and the media are setting them up for failure as usual. I'll just enjoy all the games and don't give England much chance at all.

DarthStanley

Sith Lord
Supporter
weasel said:
Mini99 said:
edd_jedi said:

You beat me to it. All I have heard all week is how good this England team is and how you have great strength in depth and you haven't had that before.

Am I missing something? You have good forward options. Though if Harry Kane breaks you are fooked as the rest are kids or Rashford who is very hit or miss. Then there is the workmanlike midfield (I count Foden and Mount as forwards) granted that hasnt stopped Pool from winning things. As for your defence……it's BANG average. Fat Maguire is a slow plodder, and injured. Stones has a mistake in him. Shaw is ok. You do have decent RB options. And ehhh your keeper is abysmal (if it's pickford) or incredibly inexperienced if it's someone else.
I don't see how that makes a great squad and fantastic strength in depth.

But then the media do this EVERY ****ING TIME. When you don't win it, all the players will instantly become shite show ponies.

Spot on Weaz!

Thank **** Beckham no longer plays for England as we'd be subjected to him draped in an England flag,sporting his newest **** hairdo on the front page of every newspaper saying this year we're definitely going to win the tournament! :roll:

England are at best a quarter final side & got lucky reaching the semis of the last World Cup.I'm a Scotland fan & I'm now immune to the impending disappointment! :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom