Euro 2021 Thread

DarthHamblin

Jedi Master
Yeah I really enjoyed both games last night, brilliant for a neutral that's what it's all about and the Swiss were really good.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah two great games.
Fingers crossed for the same tonight. Although I doubt many of us will be tuned in to Sweden vs Ukraine!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Entertaining though, I turned the France game off to watch the tennis when it was 3-1 thinking it was over. I can't help but think how rubbish international football is at the moment, standard wise. Pretty much any winner of the Euros or World Cup in my life time would beat any of the present international sides IMO.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Agreed. I was talking to a mate about how there are no countries with more than 1 decent striker, bar France (assuming you rate greasy-fella and or Benzema).

Kinda similar to European football, not really any "big" sides who are decent. The Barca side of Xavi/Iniesta etc would destroy Chelsea/City/PSG etc.

Just one of those phases football goes through

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah in all fairness that Barca team of the late 00's I consider one of the best sides ever. On their day these teams can be great but then France made such a mess of the Switzerland game, it's as if the players switch off for 10 minutes and think about their bank balance.

Good old Southgate going with 7 defensive players today, the one thing we don't won't is a draw and pens! lol

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeap Southgate has completely sat me down, one thing this England team has that I've not seen in any other England team is spirit like no other. Grealish came on and changed the game, he has to start.

DarthHamblin

Jedi Master
Yeah thing is freakish comes on and makes a impact
And that's exactly what Southgate wanted a impact sub.
He will probably shuffle the pack again Saturday probably see foden again. And let's not forget our defenders they've played really well are we not the only team to not have conceded?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Are England the dullest team to watch in this whole tournament?!
It may be effective, and I doubt you England fans care, but **** me us neutrals are bored out of our minds watching you lot.

Ohh and you we Thomas Muller a pint, that miss cost Germany the game.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Last time England kept a clean sheet in their first 4 games of a major competition? 1966 lol!!

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
weasel said:
It may be effective, and I doubt you England fans care, but **** me us neutrals are bored out of our minds watching you lot.

Probably, but it's a relief to see a management team with an understanding of game management and how to convey it to the team. Let's face it, few people remember how entertaining the winners of previous tournaments were and it's not something that's recorded on the cup along with their name :D (And no, I'm not being a cocky Englander who think we'll win the tournament... but I think we have a fantastic opportunity to progress further).

The whole England/Germany match felt like a reverse of previous encounters, with Germany taking a similar approach to previous England teams and enjoying as much luck.

DarthHamblin

Jedi Master
peekaygee73 said:
weasel said:

Probably, but it's a relief to see a management team with an understanding of game management and how to convey it to the team. Let's face it, few people remember how entertaining the winners of previous tournaments were and it's not something that's recorded on the cup along with their name :D (And no, I'm not being a cocky Englander who think we'll win the tournament... but I think we have a fantastic opportunity to progress further).

The whole England/Germany match felt like a reverse of previous encounters, with Germany taking a similar approach to previous England teams and enjoying as much luck.

Yeah well said the management team have done so much in this England side, and there also thinking of the future. We're never gonna see a France v Switzerland or Spain v Croatia type of match but he's set us up to be hard to beat and it's proven effective. Think southgates tactics will be different for the Ukraine game though. Anyway I saw the Southgate, Pearce and co advert from Pizza Hut for the first time since the 90s it made me chuckle 😂

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
peekaygee73 said:
weasel said:

few people remember how entertaining the winners of previous tournaments were

While I take your point, I think we all remember who woefully dull Greece where in '04.

DarthHamblin said:
We're never gonna see a France v Switzerland or Spain v Croatia type of match but he's set us up to be hard to beat and it's proven effective.

That's that jinxed then! Cue a 7-6 ET thriller! (I live in hope, I'm resigned to a dull 1-0 win)

DarthHamblin

Jedi Master
weasel said:
peekaygee73 said:
weasel said:

few people remember how entertaining the winners of previous tournaments were

While I take your point, I think we all remember who woefully dull Greece where in '04.

DarthHamblin said:
We're never gonna see a France v Switzerland or Spain v Croatia type of match but he's set us up to be hard to beat and it's proven effective.

That's that jinxed then! Cue a 7-6 ET thriller! (I live in hope, I'm resigned to a dull 1-0 win)
If only 7-6 England and Ukraine 😂 and yeah I do remember Greece winning in 04, but I do just remember what a great achievement it was for them that was brilliant for them. Wasent one of the players playing in England can't remember who it was though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom