Euro 2021 Thread

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
That second half performance was gutting after the first half, it's almost like someone accidentally pressed the 'old England' button at half-time. Hoofing the ball (when we actually had it) just made it easier for the Italian defence to cope. I understand Southgate's intention with the double substitution, but with a minute to go?

I expected to still feel gutted this morning but it's not actually bothering me as much as I thought it would. I really didn't expect England to beat Italy so for them not to beat us in 120 minutes, to score a scrappy goal from a set piece, to look as completely shell-shocked as they did for the first 30 minutes... I'm feeling massively optimistic for 2022 and that's a feeling I haven't had in 25 years. And we don't have to listen to 'Three Lions' for another year.

It's actually the abusive reaction to the missed penalties and the dickheads rushing Wembley to get in without a ticket that's pissing me off. I've been talking to friends in other countries throughout the tournament and it's this which spreads globally and paints the picture of what England fans and English people are like.

DarthHamblin

Jedi Master
Think I'm still in mourning 😢 so close. But yeah there's always next year 😃 and we can watch the World Cup in our Xmas jumpers drinking mulled wine 🍷

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
After 3 days of reflection of what was another failed attempt by England and it was a failed attempt we came second and that should never be celebrated, I'm back where I was at the start of the Euros where I still think Southgate is to defence minded (started that final with 3 attacking players on the pitch) and although he sat me down after beating Germany I'm back up again. When you look back at the 7 games England were involved in we were only convincing against Ukraine, with the players we have that's not good enough.

The final was the Premier League against Seria a, their should only be one winner IMO. Ok England probably edged the first half, maybe. The second half Southgate refused to change anything and we were hanging on. Think it was John Stones that got beat at his near post on the corner and Italy scored, so poor. Harry Kane ended up coming deep to make things happen when he should have been the number 9. England lost the game from half time to the end of extra time, once it goes to pens its anyones game, usually not Englands which is even more reason to have a go in normal time. Yes Italy were dirty and probably should have been down to 10 men, but that's not a surpirse to anyone is it?

All I can hope for is yet another easy draw at the next World Cup and Southgate learning from his two failed attemps in the Semis against Croatia and the Italy final which were pretty much carbon copies. England have now lost on pens in every round of a major tournament, depressing.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
England has never been so good. 1 Final and 1 semi final is amazing for an international team that is historically average quarter finals at best.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Actually agree with you to a degree @Grant_C just imagine what we could do with a top manager, I don't think Klopp or Pep would have only picked 3 attacking players in the final. Southgate will get a tough draw at some point and England will go out early. Only decent team he has beaten is Germany when it counts.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Do you not think that outside of a few examples- England does not have World Class players and average quarter finals is about right.
I don't understand where the idea is that they are world beaters. Most world beater teams have won trophy's multiple times. It feels like every year there is a unrealistic expectation that is followed by criticism and a demoralised nation. Except for Southgate- England's big successes have been in Wembley.

I feel that England team is now way comparable to any world beating team. Southgate knows this and plans according. It's boring has hell to watch England- but it's got them way further than they should and a further aggregate than Robson, Vendables, Ericsson etc..

I think a realistic expectation would greatly help

Last edited:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I'm not sure I agree Grant. Man City are the best club team in the PL and arguably the world, England have four City players. Harry Kane is widely regarded as the best striker in the world, he plays for England. Chelsea are the Champions League holders, and three of their players are in the England team too. There are not many average players in the England starting 11, and I think that's where the frustration is, compare us to some of the other last 8 teams like Ukraine and Spain and we have more winners and superstars, especially in their prime. I don't think you can compare England to a team like Wales who have one ageing superstar, a handful of Europa League players and then a load of average players.

The problem is, and has been for the last 30 years, getting those stars to play like a team. Southgate has done the best job so far. I don't think England would have been called flukey if they won the Euros, they have just as much quality in the team as any other recent European champion.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Southgate is no way the reason England have done so well in the last two tournaments infact I would argue that we have done well despite Gareth Southgate as manager. No one can argue against the lucky draws England have had to get to the semis and final. The teams of the last 20 or 30 years would have got as far. Italy 90' lost to West Germany went on to win it, Mexico 86' lost to Argentina went on to win it, Euro 96' lost to Germany went on to win it, Japan/South Korea 2002 lost to Brazil went on to win it. England the nation that invented the game and one of 8 nations to have won the World Cup with the ritchest domestic league in the world has pedigree. Name me a top club any where that would give Southgate a job tomorrow.

If England had won the Euros I would have said fair play to Southgate you proved me wrong, but again the first decent team he came up against out thought him and England were out classed. Southgate reminds me of the Emperors new cloths.

Last edited:

Vernon

Jedi Knight
So..got completely caught up in what I feel was one of the best Tournaments in years and as a result I completely missed this thread! By best tournament I'm not just referring to England. The new format meant after 2 games a team could be bottom of the group and still have a chance of progressing so pretty much every game was meaningful.

Vernon

Jedi Knight
I was lucky enough to get to a couple of games (so no SW purchases for me for a while!)

England opening group game.

Attachments

• 4E68AD74-ABEF-4821-A28A-6B4B2322625C.jpeg
    4E68AD74-ABEF-4821-A28A-6B4B2322625C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
  • 37227774-9B19-48F8-9FA1-C872C5B849ED.jpeg
    37227774-9B19-48F8-9FA1-C872C5B849ED.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • B627160E-DB72-41C3-AFA0-E0B9ADDFAE66.jpeg
    B627160E-DB72-41C3-AFA0-E0B9ADDFAE66.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25

Vernon

Jedi Knight
Southgate is no way the reason England have done so well in the last two tournaments infact I would argue that we have done well despite Gareth Southgate as manager. No one can argue against the lucky draws England have had to get to the semis and final. The teams of the last 20 or 30 years would have got as far. Italy 90' lost to West Germany whent on to win it, Mexico 86' lost to Argentina whent on to win it, Euro 96' lost to Germany whent on to win it, Japan/South Korea 2002 lost to Brazil whent on to win it. England the nation that invented the game and one of 8 nations to have won the World Cup with the ritchest domestic league in the world has pedigree. Name me a top club any where that would give Southgate a job tomorrow.

If England had won the Euros I would have said fair play to Southgate you proved me wrong, but again the first decent team he came up against out thought him and England were out classed. Southgate reminds me of the Emperors new cloths.
I have to disagree with you! From 2002-2010 we probably had one of the best squads in the world but it was a squad of individuals. Now we have one of the best teams who only lost on penalties to Italy who haven't been beaten in 3 years.

Vernon

Jedi Knight
So..last Tuesday I get a call from a friend who has a spare ticket for the semi final €85!

Attachments

• C8F2D6EA-6168-4B2F-B1A2-CAA32DEE0EAE.jpeg
    C8F2D6EA-6168-4B2F-B1A2-CAA32DEE0EAE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • B46523FD-9C84-4CD7-A0BC-DC58A822F3AC.jpeg
    B46523FD-9C84-4CD7-A0BC-DC58A822F3AC.jpeg
    940 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1938.MOV
    15 MB
  • IMG_1944.MOV
    34.8 MB

Vernon

Jedi Knight
I've been to France 1998, Holland/Belgium 2000, Japan 2002, Portugal 2004, Germany 2006, South Africa 2010 and Brazil 2014. The atmosphere for the Denmark game was the most intense I've experienced following England..even topping the feeling of when we beat Argentina in 2002. There was no way I was going to miss England in a major final and at Wembley! (Just to add..in the last 5 mins of the Germany game I go to the UEFA website, get 2 tickets to the final in my basket..press buy and my credit card company declines the transaction. By the time I log back in all tickets have sold-gutted).

I then spend most of Thursday and Friday F5ing the ticket page with no luck.

Saturday I had tickets for Lords. A great day but bitter sweet as another 5k tickets were released for the final and I miss out again!

So…I find someone on Twitter who has contacts at UEFA or within the ticketing department and he says around 1800-2000 tickets will be released for sale on the day of the final.
From 11 am I'm F5ing again and so is a friend! At 4pm I get a call from him. He's just got 2 tickets!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1969.MOV
    33.2 MB
  • 0D02FF19-B8AA-4CAE-900C-E04FBAADA7BD.jpeg
    0D02FF19-B8AA-4CAE-900C-E04FBAADA7BD.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • 71605DE1-8733-4043-90A9-B83314E36E0F.jpeg
    71605DE1-8733-4043-90A9-B83314E36E0F.jpeg
    701.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 63C9064F-AF5C-4B5F-BB2F-4C886A0BE7B4.jpeg
    63C9064F-AF5C-4B5F-BB2F-4C886A0BE7B4.jpeg
    720.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 2FFE6A3D-66E9-49FD-975F-BD2B1063CD3F.jpeg
    2FFE6A3D-66E9-49FD-975F-BD2B1063CD3F.jpeg
    812.4 KB · Views: 22

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Fantastic all the games you have been to @Vernon I've only ever been to one England game at the old Wembley in 1997 against Moldova!! lol

The England team of the 00's were all star players for their clubs but not for England. Also down to the coaches that also played defence minded football and Paul Scholes on the left side of midfield! I think their was a handfull of teams back then that would win the Euros now. France, Italy, Germany, Portugal oh and certainly Spain one of the best International sides ever.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom