Facebook is taking over.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
As someone who doesn't have FB it's alarming how much it is actually dictating the vintage market nowadays. I suppose it hadn't been helped by the Ebay managed payments system but it seems as though the quality of stuff on Ebay isn't what it used to be. I've heard stories from others about how FB is can be an awful selling platform but it seems to be doing the trick for many - some sales posts don't last 5 minutes apparently.

I suppose if I don't want FB it comes with the territory but it just seems dead.

Lee

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I pretty much gave up on eBay when they ruined the categories, it's so hard to find decent stuff now. I have a few saved searches with very specific phrases, but browsing for vintage on there is almost impossible now. I wonder if they have any idea what a huge mistake that was.

Prices seem nuts on the FB groups I'm on, it's more 'charge what you like' these days rather than there being 'market' rates for things. A Trilogo Luke Farmboy sold for 2k on FB today, I saw an identical one sit unsold for £1200 at Farthest From last year.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Jesus Christ £2k????

It is absolute nuts. I've heard about some of the prices being kicked around - absolute madness. No wonder the hobby is becoming harder for people to break into - unless you have the money.

The early to late 90s seems so long ago now - those were the days, even the early 2000s were OK for a deal.

scooternick

Jedi Knight
Yep, I follow a couple of groups on FB and individuals are selling upwards of 10 MOCS a day and have been for a couple of years - that's a lot of trading. Revenue must be bloody massive and overheads tiny. Love to know what the margins are....?

Punters snap up practically everything that's posted within minutes, it's bonkers. The prices are also bonkers!! There is clearly a huge market and people with very deep pockets happy to pay the over inflated prices.

Not good for the hobby but you can't blame dealers for selling at the prices they do if there is a captive audience - makes great business sense. Would love to know when the bubble will burst. I guess not until the buyers become too old and disinterested.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom