Fans of The Shining

x-pack

Grand Master
Can anyone help?

I'm after the full version of The Shining but, as Amazon is so crap and uses the same 200+ reviews and product description for all versions, it's hard to see which one to pick up. I think it's the region free blu-ray but there are so many versions of that it's hard to know which one is which.

Anyone any idea? The 'making of' shot by Kubrick's daughter should be on there as well.

While i'm asking Shining related questions, has anyone seen the Stephen King TV version? Is that worth watching?

Cheers :)

PGowdy

Grand Master
x-pack said:
Can anyone help?

I'm after the full version of The Shining but, as Amazon is so crap and uses the same 200+ reviews and product description for all versions, it's hard to see which one to pick up. I think it's the region free blu-ray but there are so many versions of that it's hard to know which one is which.

Anyone any idea? The 'making of' shot by Kubrick's daughter should be on there as well.

While i'm asking Shining related questions, has anyone seen the Stephen King TV version? Is that worth watching?

Cheers :)

Stephen King famously hated the Kubric version and has gone on record many times to say as much. I didn't realise there was a tv version but may have to check that out.

x-pack

Grand Master
Haven't looked in to the TV version but i'm led to believe it is well worth watching and one of SK's better TV efforts. SK thought that Kubrick made The Shining more about the characters and family tragedy than the hotel itself. Not having read the book I couldn't comment.

Room 237 is also worth a watch. It's all about the imagery and hidden meanings within the film. Some of it is clearly nonsense thought up by over imaginative fans, but other bits make you wonder if Kubrick actually went to such great lengths creating and inserting these hidden 'messages'

Richard_H

Grand Master
The TV version is ok - worth a watch. But clearly a made for TV movie which has none of the great suspense of the film.

Neither are a patch on the book though.

chazb73

Sith Lord
Love it mate - Sorry though can't help you Barry. I will be watching this thread though as I will be purchasing that copy also :D

x-pack

Grand Master
Like I said - I'm sure its the US release that's about 25 minutes longer. Would love to see that. If I find the one I will post it up.

Watched the movie the other night and cannot understand why people find it so frightening. The scene with the woman in the shower is shittening but I reckon its more of a harrowing and tragic story than an out and out horror.

My wife reckons its the kid that freaks her out most. She has a child that age so as a parent The Shining makes for uncomfortable viewing.

SOJ

Sith Lord
Croquet Mallet rather than an Axe. I know this is more faithful to the book but after Jack Nicholson's performance in the movie the TV version just couldn't hold my attention. Avoid.

As for the extended version of the movie not sure is ever been release on disc or video, I think it was a one time deal for TV. I maybe wrong on that though.

chazb73

Sith Lord
x-pack said:
Like I said - I'm sure its the US release that's about 25 minutes longer. Would love to see that. If I find the one I will post it up.

Watched the movie the other night and cannot understand why people find it so frightening. The scene with the woman in the shower is shittening but I reckon its more of a harrowing and tragic story than an out and out horror.

My wife reckons its the kid that freaks her out most. She has a child that age so as a parent The Shining makes for uncomfortable viewing.

It scared the **** out of me when I was younger.

Love the use of colour in Kubricks films

x-pack

Grand Master
The set is phenomenal and stunningly shot.

TheShiningCarpet.jpg

TheShiningTwins.jpg

TheShiningJack.jpg

****ing creepy! - Tony - "REDRUM ...redrum....redrum ..REDRUM!" :eek:

TheShiningDanny.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the full release is available and I heard that it is actually worth watching.

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
Not scary? This is one of my all time favourite movies and although it's not a horror film that yousee limbs being cut off which just makes you sick and I do think it is a real chilling movie. The boy seeing the twins and the red rum scene, the shower scene, the 'here's Johnny scene' (which has to be one of the most iconic scenes from film ever) all have that on edge feel and are really well done. Perhaps because you've seen the film so often that it is no longer frightening, but I first watched this when I was around 8 and first time round would have been a scary experience.
It's a psychological thriller and makes you feel uncomfortable at times, that's what it sets out to do and that's what it does.

chazb73

Sith Lord
I agree - if I were asked what was the scariest film I had ever seen - it would be the Shining.

I want to watch it again :D

The scene in the toilets with the Butler (he's a great actor) is very eerie

"But I corrected them"

x-pack

Grand Master
This film definitely does something different than the average horror. It's not especially gory or jumpy (except the shower scene). Watching now you could say it has an additional element in the creepy 70s/80s style. There's definitely something about 70's decor and fashion that freeks me out.

....I would love that carpet in my house :)

chazb73

Sith Lord
x-pack said:
This film definitely does something different than the average horror. It's not especially gory or jumpy (except the shower scene). Watching now you could say it has an additional element in the creepy 70s/80s style. There's definitely something about 70's decor and fashion that freeks me out.

....I would love that carpet in my house :)

Yes - you can just see Danny playing with his SW toys on that carpet Barry :D

x-pack

Grand Master
Coincidentally I heard that kubrick shot the maze scene at elstree. Lucas had to get him kicked out of the studio so he could shoot ESB 8)

Jedi_june

Sith Lord
I love this movie me and wifey always watch this when there's a snowstorm in NY :lol: it's a classic.

This is the version u want! I suggest the blue ray US version, the picture is stunning. Version is 144min.

Check out this link :mrgreen: :
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Shining-Blu-ray/508/

x-pack

Grand Master
Thanks June :) Are you sure this is the full length version? I have the normal cut version. Reading through the reviews they all talk about the amazing blu-ray quality but no-one mentions additional footage.

i would probably purchase through Amazon as that's what i generally use, but if i knew the edition i was looking for that would help. Cheers June

chazb73

Sith Lord
Just ordered the Blu ray from Amazon Barry - looking forward to watching it (will try and get the wife to watch it also) :wink:

Jedi_june

Sith Lord
x-pack said:
Thanks June :) Are you sure this is the full length version? I have the normal cut version. Reading through the reviews they all talk about the amazing blu-ray quality but no-one mentions additional footage.

i would probably purchase through Amazon as that's what i generally use, but if i knew the edition i was looking for that would help. Cheers June

The European version is the cut version (directors cut) to be exact. It's called that because that's the way Kubrick wanted it to be, he thought the original version was too long and dragged. So when released overseas he had it cut to I believe 113min.

When it first came out it was 146min long. But when it released on Video it got cut to 144. The US version is the Extended Version.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom