Fantasy Football league anyone?

spoons

Grand Master
weasel said:
Spoons, how do you stick that!? I was watching the game on Sunday and cheering on the Arse (not hard to cheer for whoever Stoke are playing against), frustrating would be an understatement!

frustrating indeed, they're clearly thinking of their summer holidays (apart from Van Persie and Wilshire)

another season ends in top four mediocrity :wink:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
PGowdy said:
I have a feeling it will be a dull 1-1 or 0-0 tho. I have been wrong in the past tho.
:wink:

Spot on Pete!
How do you do it!? Mystic Meg/Pete! :lol:

The guy I'm fighting it out with for top spot in one of the other leagues I'm in has pulled ahead of me and was about 20 points clear going into last nights game. Maxi scored two inside 6 mins and I was cheering away until I realised that he had Maxi. I've never been so gutted to see a Liverpool player score a hat-trick :oops:

Spoons. Agreed, there are 88 other teams in the football league would gladly settle for a mediocre 3rd place in the PL and a spot in CL next year. Heck, City would probably swap 3rd place and auto entry for a cup final spot and 4th place/the qualifiers.
BUT given Arsenal's team, the fact they made 1 cup final, and had their CL group all but wrapped up after four games only to stuff it up and finish second (resulting in a nice cushy draw against Barca), and were pish in the FA cup. I can't help but feel they have under-achieved AGAIN!
Hopefully, you know by now, I'm not one of those idiots who gloats over teams doing poorly (unless they are managed by fergy) but I do worry that Arsenal are fast approaching becoming seasoned bottlers. How long can winning nothing and choking in the big games, go on for before it becomes almost ingrained!?
Arsenal are too good a team not to win something. But, at the same time their weaknesses are obvious and known to anyone with a passing interest in football. Yet season after season they do nothing to alleviate them!?
As a 'neutral', albeit one who likes watching Arsenal play (except when they dick on Liverpool), it frustrates the life out of me!

spoons

Grand Master
won't argue with any of that Weasel - they are indeed bottlers, but as annoying as it is it won't take much to change things around - and a little bit of luck here or there

I can't help thinking that if they'd won the Carling Cup, the end of season results would have been very different. The loss seemed to affect them badly.

I'm not convinced that next season will be much different, but they will be there or thereabouts again next year...(as long as they finish above the Spuds I'm happy :D )

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
spoons said:
I'm not convinced that next season will be much different, but they will be there or thereabouts again next year...(as long as they finish above the Spuds I'm happy :D )

It's a big summer for Arenal and Arsene Wenger!
Ditto for Chelsea and whoever gets that poison chalice!

spoons

Grand Master
all that's really needed at Arsenal is some lessons in concentration, hypnotherapy to instill some belief, and a plan B - bringing on Arshavin and Bendtner with 25 mins to go has produced nothing all season

Liverpool seem to be sorted though :shock:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Winning games at this stage of the season, against sides with nothing really to play for (Fulham&Newcastle) or who are still celebrating cup wins (Brum) is one thing. Winning them early in the season is another.
I'm not getting excited just yet.
Beating Chelsea, United and City is great, but when you lose (twice) to Blackpool and West Ham you're undoing all the good work you did.
Early days yet.

PS, Bentner is a waste of space. Chamackh I'll give the benefit of the doubt to, it's only his first season. Shaven-arse/Rosicky are the typical Arsenal midfielder, silky skills, good movement, prone to injuries and don't like physical battles.....

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Last weekend ahead guys!

Anyone wanna make a prediction as to who is going down with West Ham!?

I'm going for Brum for sure, playing like a relegated side and TBH a terrible team to watch, managed by a severly over-rated manager (Scottish titles/cups mean FA outside Scotland, sorry Ron!), and to go with them ehhh tough one. I can't see Blackburn beating Wolves, so that puts them in trouble IF Wigan AND Blackpool win. Although goal difference and the fact that Wigan and Blackpool would BOTH have to win to over take BR means they are probably safe, by default. So it depends on how Wigan and Blackpool get on. Some sides shoke under the pressure and others fight for their lives and pull off miracle escapes (Fulham 07-08, Bradford 99-00) so I could see it going either way.

PGowdy

Grand Master
I run (and play) a predictions league. I am currently top (cacking it) and hoping for 1 last decent week to be crowned winner and collect the cash! So this sunday's final games are pretty important for me.
The last day is typically very hard to predict as some teams have basically finished with their season and aren't bothered whilst others are fighting for their lives.
So let's see if i can't get a couple of these right... :lol:

Man Utd 2-0 Blackpool
Stoke 1-1 Wigan
Spurs 2-1 Birmingham
Wolves 2-1 Blackburn

These results would leave the bottom 6 looking like this and Birmingham and Blackpool would be going down.
Screenshot2011-05-20at171513.png

The worst thing that could happen to Blackpool is Man U putting out a "weakened" side. Their 2nd stringers will be well up for it and hoping to prove something before the Champs league final and thus should beat Blackpool. Should Man U put out their Chaps league side they are more likely to take it easy and try not to wear themselves out. In that scenario Blackpool have a tiny tiny chance of getting a draw but even then i think Man U will be too strong.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I think I'd prefer Blackpool to stay up. I quite like Roberto Martinez, but his team are a bunch of journey men. At least Blackpool are decent to watch, not many 0-0 draws, or 5 at the back with 4 holding midfielders like ****in Brum!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Looks like I lost out on second place in one of the other FFL's I'm in by TWO points.
I'm GUTTED!

I was 140 odd points behind the guy at the half way stage and had pulled it back and before the bonus points were added to todays results I had actually beaten him, then he pulled 8 pts out of nowhere and beats me by 2. RAGE! :evil: :twisted:

I haven't been this gutted in a long long time.

To make it worse.....................I'll never hear the end of it! :roll:

Ron

Sith Lord
weasel said:
Last weekend ahead guys!

Anyone wanna make a prediction as to who is going down with West Ham!?

I'm going for Brum for sure, playing like a relegated side and TBH a terrible team to watch, managed by a severly over-rated manager (Scottish titles/cups mean FA outside Scotland, sorry Ron!), and to go with them ehhh tough one. I can't see Blackburn beating Wolves, so that puts them in trouble IF Wigan AND Blackpool win. Although goal difference and the fact that Wigan and Blackpool would BOTH have to win to over take BR means they are probably safe, by default. So it depends on how Wigan and Blackpool get on. Some sides shoke under the pressure and others fight for their lives and pull off miracle escapes (Fulham 07-08, Bradford 99-00) so I could see it going either way.

LOL just seen this no need to say sorry weasel i know the scottish league is ****. I dont follow it at all. I just look out for the inverness score on a saturday

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom