General Euro 2012 Discussion Thread!

poncho

Grand Master
JuniorChubb said:
The game was slipping away from the start of the second half and it was all over when Welbeck got taken off while Young and Rooney stayed on the pitch.

England done better than I expected at the start of the tournament but not as well as I would have liked.

Lets see what our man Roy can do getting us to the World Cup.

qualification will be easy, its just tournaments we suck at! however new blood and a couple of wise old heads i mean who knows, he took fulham all the way to the europa league final a few years back, he'll bring togetherness to future squads

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
e30318is said:
Anyone know who did the acoustic version of linkin parks' "in the end", shown just before the end of the program?

Much more entertaining that the football :lol:

Dont tell my mates :?

[youtube]NU1JraEVsgc[/youtube]

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
ponchobelt said:
JuniorChubb said:
The game was slipping away from the start of the second half and it was all over when Welbeck got taken off while Young and Rooney stayed on the pitch.

England done better than I expected at the start of the tournament but not as well as I would have liked.

Lets see what our man Roy can do getting us to the World Cup.

qualification will be easy, its just tournaments we suck at! however new blood and a couple of wise old heads i mean who knows, he took fulham all the way to the europa league final a few years back, he'll bring togetherness to future squads

Indeed, I am pleased with the squad he has put together, the spirit is great (I do question if the return of Rooney may have upset the balance a bit) but it is refreshing to come away with no excuses, we just need to improve. My knowledge of the game these day's isn't enough for me to know who these new players are (who is Butland?) but I hope they are out there and they have some creativity.

Dublinjeff

Grand Master
Cool version of the song alright, now back to the footy, I thought it was quite similar to the Irish v Italy game......oh wait, we were hammered :roll:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
JuniorChubb said:

How Rooney stayed on that pitch for so long I don't know. His legs had gone mid way through the second half, which I can excuse given he's been out for 5 weeks, but his general performance/touch/passing/link up play was very poor.
As for Ashley Young, his penalty summed up his entire tournament. SHITE.

Saying all that, if before the Euro's started England or their fans had been offered a penalty shoot out in the 1/4 finals, you'd have taken it. On the night Italy were the better side, by a mile, and deserved to win.

I can't wait for 3 months of people and the FA spouting on about the need for massive reform if how football is coached in England/Britain AGAIN! Only for **** all to be done..............AGAIN! It's the same everytime England get knocked out. :roll:

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
weasel said:
JuniorChubb said:

How Rooney stayed on that pitch for so long I don't know. His legs had gone mid way through the second half, which I can excuse given he's been out for 5 weeks, but his general performance/touch/passing/link up play was very poor.
As for Ashley Young, his penalty summed up his entire tournament. SHITE.

Saying all that, if before the Euro's started England or their fans had been offered a penalty shoot out in the 1/4 finals, you'd have taken it. On the night Italy were the better side, by a mile, and deserved to win.

I can't wait for 3 months of people and the FA spouting on about the need for massive reform if how football is coached in England/Britain AGAIN! Only for **** all to be done..............AGAIN! It's the same everytime England get knocked out. :roll:

I am hoping we don't need more reforms. We have made the necessary changes, we just need to wait 15 years for them to filter through. We will always have uneducated people in charge of kids leagues and teams that pick the tallest/strongest/fastest lads first (neglecting development) so they can be top of their local leagues, but there are also people trying really hard to improve our youngsters.

My son is 7 and is a member of a football club. They do not have a team, they rarely play more than 3 on 3 matches, they learn to look after the ball themselves before they learn how to pass, use small footballs, use every part of the foot, run into space, its an education to what them. It took me a while to find a club for him to join and I am more than happy with them. He will never be an England player but he is better than I was at 7 by miles.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
JuniorChubb said:
My son is 7 and is a member of a football club. They do not have a team, they rarely play more than 3 on 3 matches, they learn to look after the ball themselves before they learn how to pass, use small footballs, use every part of the foot, run into space, its an education to what them. It took me a while to find a club for him to join and I am more than happy with them. He will never be an England player but he is better than I was at 7 by miles.

That's good to hear! Round my way, last time I watched youth football it was 11 a-side games for under 14 ish it was blatantly a case of 'pick the big lads'. The ball spent maybe 1 second in ten on the ground, the rest of the time both teams were hoofing it as high and as far as they could, in the rough direction of the other teams goal. It was complete with parents yelling as their kids, kids telling the ref/coach/team mates to "**** off/up" and 'tackles' that started at knee high and were purely designed to hurt or at best stop someone wanting the ball.
Great to see! :roll:

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
weasel said:
JuniorChubb said:

That's good to hear! Round my way, last time I watched youth football it was 11 a-side games for under 14 ish it was blatantly a case of 'pick the big lads'. The ball spent maybe 1 second in ten on the ground, the rest of the time both teams were hoofing it as high and as far as they could, in the rough direction of the other teams goal. It was complete with parents yelling as their kids, kids telling the ref/coach/team mates to "**** off/up" and 'tackles' that started at knee high and were purely designed to hurt or at best stop someone wanting the ball.
Great to see! :roll:

I remember games like this as a youngster, watching my cousin while my uncle barked orders at him (and the ref) from the sideline. There are plenty of teams like this near me and its hard because kids love a competitive game. It just needs to be scaled down, smaller teams, smaller pitch, more time on the ball, no over head height. Unfortunately human nature takes over and what you described is what takes place. Maybe they don't have human nature in Spain, Italy, Germany, Brazil etc etc

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I would have taken Rooney off. He under hit so many passes. I would have put David Platt on. He scored a great header against Italy before. (in 1990) :?

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
Maulster79 said:
I would have taken Rooney off. He under hit so many passes. I would have put David Platt on. He scored a great header against Italy before. (in 1990) :?

And that great last minute winner against Belgium!!!!!

The trouble is you need big balls to take Rooney off, as much as I like Roy (we are on first name terms) he has Cashew nuts as opposed to King Kong balls.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
JuniorChubb said:
The trouble is you need big balls to take Rooney off

Agreed, and if you do and you don't win the press have a ****ing field day, conveniently ignoring the fact Rrooney was terrible.

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
weasel said:
conveniently ignoring the fact Rrooney was terrible.

Lol, that's how they work.

I haven't seen the tabloid reaction to the result/performance yet, shouldn't be to harsh, no need for any vegetable comparisons. I might have to venture outside to see what's happening out there...

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
As I said to a mate, it's too early for calls for Roy's head yet. Just wait till Kazakstan out play our and you scrap a 1-1 draw..........

2stripes

Jedi Master
weasel said:
As I said to a mate, it's too early for calls for Roy's head yet. Just wait till Kazakstan out play our and you scrap a 1-1 draw..........

I just thinking the team looked shattered and losing on penalties was putting England out of its misery. I think what cost them was having no cover in centre mid through the tournament, Gerrard and Parker looked dead on their feet by the end, they needed protecting a bit in the groups but in 3 tight games we didn't have anyone who could replace them. plus Rooney looked unfit. I don't think Roy would have wanted them to sit so deep second half but when you don't have the legs to get round the pitch you start to sit back naturally and can't get out of your own half.

Dunno, I just think they looked like they had got as far as they could, I think Germany would have torn England apart. Was probably a blessing to lose like they did. Doesn't matter who managed them, that team was not good enough to win Euro 12 in a million years!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, even if England had had the two days extra rest that Germany will have had, and Germany had had to play ET and penalties and England had won in normal time - I'd still have put money on Germany to win, fairly easily.

steesh

Padawan
I have been pretty suprised how bad england were in past 2 tournys. Bit of work to do before WC. I thought your players were better than that. It is weird because all your players play good possession football for their clubs. Only barca have been better than English teams in C.L. with Man U mainly british players.

Mind you, atleast you qualify for tournys.Good for a Scot that england are out as not sure I could handle media reaction if you actually won euros or world cup. Took me a while to recover after the euro96 hysteria. Especially that gazza goal against us.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom