Hoping to do a charity run for Meningitis now.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Have been absent from the forums for the past two weeks as my wife had a run in with bacterial Meningitis on the 17th January. She came home from work on the Monday with a raging headache (so we thought) and after a night of being sick and in a lot of pain, I called an ambulance on the Tuesday morning- which turned out to be the best call I have ever made. After rushing her to hospital she started having seizures and the A&E staff suspected Menginitis, and after being up the hospital all day and trying to get a lumbar puncture done they phoned me at 10:30 on the Tuesday night and asked me if I would give permission to put her into an induced coma to a) do the lumber puncture and b) to allow her brain to relax and stop anymore seizures etc whilst the antibiotics did their work. I was then called at 3:30am and given the news I was dreading, it was Meningitis, and one of the worst strains:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjyr5bN6urRAhWJuBoKHRfNCl8QFgglMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FNeisseria_meningitidis&usg=AFQjCNEp1xfF3GqbFtzmpZ9G1fMfW3o2Yw&bvm=bv.145822982,d.d2s

Having 2 young kids not being able to sleep, and calling for their mum was heartbreaking. I made my way to the hospital on the Wednesday morning and was told by the consultant she was in critical condition and they couldn't give me any guarantees of survival or of possible brain damage - I was devastated. I had to sign a consent form for permission for them to carry out a brain ECG to determine any possible damage if and when she awoke.

I received the best call of my life at 10am saying that my wife had woken and all her responses were fantastic. The first few minutes of seeing her was the moment I prayed for the whole week. Even more so when I showed her a photo of our 3 kids and she smiled.

She made a very good recovery and was allowed home from hospital last Wednesday. It is still a long road to recovery, and she has lingering problems with her right side, hearing and memory but it may go over time. If it doesn't, im not bothered at all - I got my wife back and my kids kept their mother.

I was told by the consultant that had I not phoned the ambulance when I did, it probably would not have ended in this way and that gives you time to think. Trust me, if you are ever in that position get them to the hospital. I spent hours talking to my wife whilst she was in a coma and it made me re-think my life completely.

So...ive decided to run a half marathon with my eldest lad in October to raise money for Meningitis Now, who supported us through the whole ordeal and who are still supporting us now. It hurts seeing a close relative go through that and to have that support is great.

Now, im not the fittest person but this is something I want to do for my wife, family and my own life. Can anyone let me know which is the best way to start preparing for this?? I have to look after my wife for a good few weeks so cant start training until March, and im hoping that I can do enough to be ready for it. I know Jez can probably tell me all I need to know aswell :D

Lastly, im hoping to get some auctions going nearer the time and ill also be doing the half marathon and raising via sponsors so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks lads

Lee

Jez

Sith Lord
Holy **** Lee!
How utterly horrifying for you. Please keep us posted. I will of course give you all the help and encouragement I can. So will Savory100 I'm sure, who is a far more accomplished runner than me.
All the best Lee mate.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Hi Lee

Firstly I wish your wife a speedy and fullest recovery and hope you are all managing with the situation, a horrible thing to happen.
As you have said this has made you take stock and puts things into perspective. My heart and best wishes go out to you all at this time, applaud that you are looking to give back mate.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Thanks lads.

Its been a torrid time. Dads stroke before xmas and now this. Its tested me.

Im really geared up to do this run though. Ive never done anything like it before.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Hi Lee,

Sorry to hear your news, but fantastic to see she is on the mend.
A traumatic experience changed my life and turned me to running and raising money for charity about 6/7 years ago; never regretted it. Like Jez, I've done a few marathons as well as some half marathons too in my time, always happy to help; do PM me if you want a proper training plan or any advice for your event. On that note, you must share what event it is in October too!

Cheers
Steve

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Hey Steve,

Ill be doing the Luton half marathon :) i just want to do something and dedicate it to my wife. They are always laughing how unfit i am and its time to get fit for a good cause :)

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
_Lee_ said:
Hey Steve,

Ill be doing the Luton half marathon :) i just want to do something and dedicate it to my wife. They are always laughing how unfit i am and its time to get fit for a good cause :)

Looks like a nice small event; c450 finishers with a vast breadth of times, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it and feel no pressure either.
Training is pretty straight forward no matter how unfit you are (or think you are), its just about making a commitment to it.

Running a marathon or a half marathon is something everyone can do it's about whether they WANT to... you clearly have a motivation to spur you on, so take a long term approach; get fit slowly and build up to it over the next 4 months, then train properly to become a runner for the last c16 weeks. You'll be fine, just shout if you need anything...

spoons

Grand Master
What a shocking tale Lee, I really feel for you. I know nothing about running but happy to sponsor you - hope things get back to normal quickly for your wife and the rest of you

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Thanks Spoons

To he honest, this has probably been the toughest 2 weeks of my life. The past year has been up and down, but this really tested me. When i was told that i could only take my kids into the ICU ward to say goodbye to their mother if she took a turn for the worst made it really hit home. One minute we are sitting at home,then 36 hours later she was in intensive care in an induced coma. It just proves how fragile life is and how we sometimes take things for granted.

Im glad to say that she is now doing really well at home, and her recovery is looking very positive :)

Im pretty much rethinking my whole life and my outlook on it. This run is something im determined to do.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom