Indiana Jones 5?

yoda

Sith Lord
I know we have a few Indiana fans on here including myself. I absolutely loved those movies and still do and never tire of watching them. They would be in my list of all time favourites.
What's the thoughts on part 5? I never enjoyed 4 for some reason, I'm hoping 5 will be much better and will have that same magic as the first 3. Or should Spielberg have left things as they sit and make no more? I think he'll pull it off again, 4 was so disappointing if you rate them against the previous adventures and he knows that so he'll have looked at the mistakes and try to change things. I believe one of the reasons to much cgi was used and spoiled part 4.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I thought 4 was pretty good, not sure why it was so unpopular really and looking forward to the next one even if Harrison Ford is nearly 80! I know a lot of people didn't like the last one because they thought the Alien bit was syupid which I don't really get, like the other 3 were realistic in any way?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I'm a huge Indy fan too (well, parts 1-3), but sadly the time to make part 4 was about 20 years before they actually did. For me, Harrison was simply too old for that role by the time they made 'Crystal Skull'. Yes, he was (and still is) in amazing shape for his age, but he still reminds me horribly of Roger Moore in 'A View to a Kill', having remained in the role past his sell by date. 'Crystal Skull' had its moments, but it suffered horribly from a poor script and some ludicrous set pieces like the godawful jungle chase that was every bit as convincing as Trump's hair, but what it really did was serve to remind me that some things are indeed better left alone. That was in 2008 when Harrison was 65... Which brings us on to part 5 :shock:

Harrison is now 75, and whilst I would dearly love there to have been and to still be further excellent entries in the series starring Ford, the reality is that part 4 made it quite clear to me that it was time for him to hang up his bullwhip and let another actor take on the role. I really can't see part 5 being anything other than another part 4, only with an even greyer and even more creaking Harrison limping about the screen. I take no pleasure in saying that, as I love Harrison Ford, but let's get real; people get old and unless the story revolves around Indiana's battle taking the top off his blood pressure tablet bottle and getting to the toilet in time, then it's only going to tarnish the franchise further.

I definitely want to see Indiana Jones part 5, but I want to see it with a new actor in the lead role and a much better script than 'Crystal Skull' had.

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
I'm a huge Indy fan too (well, parts 1-3), but sadly the time to make part 4 was about 20 years before they actually did. For me, Harrison was simply too old for that role by the time they made 'Crystal Skull'. Yes, he was (and still is) in amazing shape for his age, but he still reminds me horribly of Roger Moore in 'A View to a Kill', having remained in the role past his sell by date. 'Crystal Skull' had its moments, but it suffered horribly from a poor script and some ludicrous set pieces like the godawful jungle chase that was every bit as convincing as Trump's hair, but what it really did was serve to remind me that some things are indeed better left alone. That was in 2008 when Harrison was 65... Which brings us on to part 5 :shock:

Harrison is now 75, and whilst I would dearly love there to have been and to still be further excellent entries in the series starring Ford, the reality is that part 4 made it quite clear to me that it was time for him to hang up his bullwhip and let another actor take on the role. I really can't see part 5 being anything other than another part 4, only with an even greyer and even more creaking Harrison limping about the screen. I take no pleasure in saying that, as I love Harrison Ford, but let's get real; people get old and unless the story revolves around Indiana's battle taking the top off his blood pressure tablet bottle and getting to the toilet in time, then it's only going to tarnish the franchise further.

I definitely want to see Indiana Jones part 5, but I want to see it with a new actor in the lead role and a much better script than 'Crystal Skull' had.

Totally agree.

yoda

Sith Lord
Yeah I know I see your points, I remember watching 4 in the cinema halfway through it I felt it wasn't great but ok. But then by midpoint it started going downhill for me. That argument scene while they're sinking in quicksand, the whole chase in the jungle and then the space ship at the end just finished it for me. Along with all the CGI which the originals never had and made the action scenes for me fantastic.
I still believe it could be pulled off though if taken on the right path. Yes I know Indie isn't the man he was but he could do it with someone helping him, that's what I hope happens, kind of like 3.
Not sure if you guys liked Rocky or Rambo but I'm also a huge fan of Stallone in those. I felt in Rambo 3 things were just getting stupid and I didn't really rate it. But first blood is right up there for me, I thought he was crazy going back in 4 but he pulled it off I'd rate it as good as 1.
Even the Rocky movies were getting a bit dragged out towards the end I felt after 2 they were never as good. But then he comes back with Rocky Balboa and Creed which got good ratings which I felt they were well deserved and were as good as 1 and 2. I know everyone has there own opinions but that's why I believe it could be pulled off if the adventure is exciting and mysterious.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
yoda said:
Yeah I know I see your points, I remember watching 4 in the cinema halfway through it I felt it wasn't great but ok. But then by midpoint it started going downhill for me. That argument scene while they're sinking in quicksand, the whole chase in the jungle and then the space ship at the end just finished it for me. Along with all the CGI which the originals never had and made the action scenes for me fantastic.
I still believe it could be pulled off though if taken on the right path. Yes I know Indie isn't the man he was but he could do it with someone helping him, that's what I hope happens, kind of like 3.
Not sure if you guys liked Rocky or Rambo but I'm also a huge fan of Stallone in those. I felt in Rambo 3 things were just getting stupid and I didn't really rate it. But first blood is right up there for me, I thought he was crazy going back in 4 but he pulled it off I'd rate it as good as 1.
Even the Rocky movies were getting a bit dragged out towards the end I felt after 2 they were never as good. But then he comes back with Rocky Balboa and Creed which got good ratings which I felt they were well deserved and were as good as 1 and 2. I know everyone has there own opinions but that's why I believe it could be pulled off if the adventure is exciting and mysterious.
I really hope you're right. Since they're definitely going to make part 5 with Harrison, I hope they make a brilliant film... I just don't have a lot of hope that will happen!

Regarding the other films you mention, I was never really a Rocky fan and have only seen parts 1 & 2, but I agree with your Rambo comments. Part 3 was absurd, but I loved part 4!

Robstyley

Sith Lord
They should never have made a fourth one. Same as they should never make a Back to the Future IV. Some things should just be left alone. And I'm also a massive Indy fan. Raiders of the Lost Ark is among my favourite films of all time, a masterpiece, almost perfect. Got no interest in 5. Personally I would prob prefer a new younger Indy with new adventures we haven't seen but set in the same timeline (1930 - 1950) as the originals.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Robstyley said:
They should never have made a fourth one. Same as they should never make a Back to the Future IV. Some things should just be left alone. And I'm also a massive Indy fan. Raiders of the Lost Ark is among my favourite films of all time, a masterpiece, almost perfect. Got no interest in 5. Personally I would prob prefer a new younger Indy with new adventures we haven't seen but set in the same timeline (1930 - 1950) as the originals.
Totally agree with all of this.
Please stop messing with my memories!

yoda

Sith Lord
Back to the future? I didn't realise they were making a 4th is it certain? Up there in my favourites also!

Crumm

Padawan
Raiders is one of my favourite films of all time, and is certainly my no.1 in the Action/ adventure genre (yes even better than Star Wars!)

It is "the" action adventure movie by which every other must be measured as far as I am concerned. I think they should have left well alone after "Last Crusade", or at least handed over the hat and whip, and not have Harrison Ford in it at all (or perhaps he could have filled the "Marcus Brody" type role as a bit of a cameo).

Crystal Skull was beyond terrible, I only saw it once in the cinema and have never re-watched it since, I prefer to pretend that it does not exist. The writing was cringe-worthy, many of the set-pieces were too CGI for the type of film that it was, and the whole thing was just a shambles. Pathetic villains, annoying sidekicks (yes you, Ray Winstone) and "flavour of the moment" actor Shia Labeouf (who was terrible).

They can do Indy 5 if they like (and they will of course). But after Spielberg's balls-up of Ready Player One, and Lucas incessantly pushing for his "great ideas" to be used, I don't think I will show much interest.

I truly believe that these genius film makers from our youth are seriously losing it.

yoda

Sith Lord
Robstyley said:
yoda said:
Back to the future? I didn't realise they were making a 4th is it certain? Up there in my favourites also!

I didn't say they were making a 4th, I said they never SHOULD make a 4th!

Well bollocks that! I should have read your post properly I got my hopes up :)

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I hope not, thought the 4th one was terrible. Unfortunately you can't turn the clock back, not just for the actors but also the world as it was then, the special effects etc. I enjoy films from that 70s-90s era and can't think of a single sequel or reboot that I like. Some things are left better in the past (Star Wars included IMO)

Crumm

Padawan
edd_jedi said:
I hope not, thought the 4th one was terrible. Unfortunately you can't turn the clock back, not just for the actors but also the world as it was then, the special effects etc. I enjoy films from that 70s-90s era and can't think of a single sequel or reboot that I like. Some things are left better in the past (Star Wars included IMO)

I agree here.

I think that they should stop re-booting and churning out new films from old franchises that were popular back in the day, all it seems to do is water them down and/ or tarnish the originals. Just re-watch the originals I say.

There are literally only one or two that I thought were worth making. Blade Runner 2049 comes to mind as one of them, I really enjoyed that. It was very well done, paid respect to the original, and carried on the story arc in an interesting, thought provoking, and believable way.

yoda

Sith Lord
Crumm said:
edd_jedi said:

I agree here.

I think that they should stop re-booting and churning out new films from old franchises that were popular back in the day, all it seems to do is water them down and/ or tarnish the originals. Just re-watch the originals I say.

There are literally only one or two that I thought were worth making. Blade Runner 2049 comes to mind as one of them, I really enjoyed that. It was very well done, paid respect to the original, and carried on the story arc in an interesting, thought provoking, and believable way.

I agree with you guys, I'd be glad also if they left them be for the fans, Star Wars included. Unfortunately whoever makes these they are only ever looked upon as a money making machine. Whoever finally gives the green light for them to be made isn't really worried about what we think. It's just a business to them just focusing on what will put bums on the seats. Possibly the decision makers might not even watch them.

Crumm

Padawan
yoda said:
Crumm said:
edd_jedi said:

I agree here.

I agree with you guys, I'd be glad also if they left them be for the fans, Star Wars included. Unfortunately whoever makes these they are only ever looked upon as a money making machine. Whoever finally gives the green light for them to be made isn't really worried about what we think. It's just a business to them just focusing on what will put bums on the seats. Possibly the decision makers might not even watch them.

You're probably right.

I was never too fussed about Rogue 1, my thoughts were confirmed when I saw it, it was mediocre.

I also don't have much interest in Solo, I tend to find these "tacked on" stories don't really add anything for me, they are just "meh, whatever". They are forgettable.

Heck, even the canon saga ones are bad now, TFA was just ok, TLJ was an awful mess. But, as you say, they put people in Cinema seats, and that is what counts nowadays.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
It's a shame that the film companies won't take more risks with original stories. Take any of the recent Star Wars films, take out the OT cameos and they are basically new space sci-fi films. I would probably be more inclined to go and see a new 'brand' of sci fi film (or in the case of Indy adventure film) than yet another rehash.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom