latest film/ dvd you have seen

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Just watched Enter the Dragon, what a classic! Not sure why its taken me 40 years to see it. 10/10

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Not long ago I saw Lensman, it had been years since I last saw it and I first saw it in the early 90s when I was a kid. Awesome japanese anime movie with great space battles and fantastic music. The only sad thing is that there never came sequel. There are so many fantastic japanese anime movies out there and many of them does not have a sequel :(

01.jpg

Another japanese anime I have seen lately is Grave of the fireflies, a movie about late ww2 it is a very sad movie and I can't recommend small kids to watch it. But it was fantastic but I must admit I did not like the end of the movie.

untitled.png

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 68

2stripes

Jedi Master
Pomse2001 said:
Not long ago I saw Lensman, it had been years since I last saw it and I first saw it in the early 90s when I was a kid. Awesome japanese anime movie with great space battles and fantastic music. The only sad thing is that there never came sequel. There are so many fantastic japanese anime movies out there and many of them does not have a sequel :(

01.jpg

Another japanese anime I have seen lately is Grave of the fireflies, a movie about late ww2 it is a very sad movie and I can't recommend small kids to watch it. But it was fantastic but I must admit I did not like the end of the movie.

Grave of the Fireflies is an incredible film , but as you say its incredibly sad, but one of the best anti-war films ever made in my opinion. I've loved Studio Ghibli films for years and managed to convince the wife to watch them all together recently.. apart from this one. I described the plot upfront and she's decided its too sad and doesn't want to watch it.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
2stripes said:
Pomse2001 said:

01.jpg

Grave of the Fireflies is an incredible film , but as you say its incredibly sad, but one of the best anti-war films ever made in my opinion. I've loved Studio Ghibli films for years and managed to convince the wife to watch them all together recently.. apart from this one. I described the plot upfront and she's decided its too sad and doesn't want to watch it.

I think it was fantastic but because it is so sad then I will maybe not watch it again. I agree Studio Ghibli makes fantastic movies. I have not seen all of them yet.

I have seen Ronja, the Robber's Daughter from Studio Ghibli, it was a really great tv series. So great that they could have made more episodes than they did.

ronja-roeverdatter-tv-series-6-disc-dvd.jpg

I also think My Neighbour Totoro is really funny and again amazing

Totoro.DVD.Cover.72dpi.jpg

Ponyo is also really funny.

102017144.jpg

Laputa - Castle in the Sky was amazing but I had hoped for a better end and they could have made a sequel, I think many of the movies they have made could have had a sequel.

laputa_-_castle_in_the_sky_blu-rayimport-14111737-.jpg

Howls Moving Castle again fantastic and the end was really great but the movie was also funny. But it could also have had a sequel have you seen any of this movies ?

howls_moving_castle_blu-ray_dvd_import-19012650-.jpg

2stripes

Jedi Master
Yeah I have most of them on BluRay, think I've seen them all. They're all great really but "Princess Mononoke" and "Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind " would be my recommendations.

I haven't seen that TV series, Ronja actually so I'll be sure to track it down, thanks!

Pomse2001

Grand Master
2stripes said:
Yeah I have most of them on BluRay, think I've seen them all. They're all great really but "Princess Mononoke" and "Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind " would be my recommendations.

I haven't seen that TV series, Ronja actually so I'll be sure to track it down, thanks!

I also have Princess Mononoke" and "Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind I think they are great so great that they again could have made a sequel :D

I can recommend the tv series Ronja it is really great and funny, you have to see it.

Have you also seen Kiki's Delivery Service ? damn it is funny :lol:

61IUCRK4t6L.jpg

Only Yesterday is also really great do you know that one ?

91J5XNuDSFL._SL1500_.jpg

and Porco Rosso, that flying pig is really funny :lol:

porco_rosso_import-956386-.jpg

I still have some on my want list that I want to see it is

Pom Poko
Whisper of the Heart
The Cat Returns

Have you seen any of them ? and if yes are they good ?

2stripes

Jedi Master
Yeah I have seen all of them, all good in their own way, maybe Kiki's Delivery Service would make my top 5. I have watched it a few times recently as my youngest enjoys it and it makes for a good Sunday film to watch with him.

When Marnie Was There, From Up on Poppy Hill and The Wind Rises are a few later ones that are probably more aimed at Adults. Not because of the content or that they are unsuitable for kids as such, just that they probably wouldn't hold their attention. I really enjoyed these though, it seems the animators and writers, became more introspective as they grew older and wanted to write more about real life and less about fantasy. I'd recommend all 3 of them as a slightly different experience, but still with that same Ghibli quality.

2stripes

Jedi Master
I watched this on youtube the other day and as a sci-fi film, for its time it was really good. By chance Mark Kermode was reviewing it a couple of days later saying how it was ahead of its time and shouldn't be classed as a B-Movie. Also has a quick scene with a young Michael Caine, instantly recognisable as soon as he spoke. :D

The_Day_the_Earth_Caught_Fire_%28movie_poster%29.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
2stripes said:
Yeah I have seen all of them, all good in their own way, maybe Kiki's Delivery Service would make my top 5. I have watched it a few times recently as my youngest enjoys it and it makes for a good Sunday film to watch with him.

When Marnie Was There, From Up on Poppy Hill and The Wind Rises are a few later ones that are probably more aimed at Adults. Not because of the content or that they are unsuitable for kids as such, just that they probably wouldn't hold their attention. I really enjoyed these though, it seems the animators and writers, became more introspective as they grew older and wanted to write more about real life and less about fantasy. I'd recommend all 3 of them as a slightly different experience, but still with that same Ghibli quality.

I have also seen this 3 movies and I also thinks they are amazing. I agree kiki would make top 5. Last week I found Ocean Waves in a shop that sell used movies. I think it was good, but not one of the best anime movies I have seen and it is not a movie for kids I think.

5055201808219.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
2stripes said:
I watched this on youtube the other day and as a sci-fi film, for its time it was really good. By chance Mark Kermode was reviewing it a couple of days later saying how it was ahead of its time and shouldn't be classed as a B-Movie. Also has a quick scene with a young Michael Caine, instantly recognisable as soon as he spoke. :D

The_Day_the_Earth_Caught_Fire_%28movie_poster%29.jpg

I have never heard about that movie, I really like michael caine but it looks like he has a very little part in the movie. Maybe I should watch it one day :D

2stripes

Jedi Master
Last film I watched at the Cinema was Empire Strikes Back last Saturday!

Booked tickets as soon as I saw it as it was on my bucket list to watch it at the cinema. Just a fantastic experience.

Watched it with my 14 year old lad and then spent the trip home arguing that no, "Revenge of the Sith" isn't better... even if it has more Jedi's. :cry:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
2stripes said:
Watched it with my 14 year old lad and then spent the trip home arguing that no, "Revenge of the Sith" isn't better... even if it has more Jedi's. :cry:

What's this "Revenge of the Sith" thing? There are only 3 SW films. Shrugs his shoulders in bemusement

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Yesterday I saw Puppet on a Chain, I think it was really great and I must admit I was surprised about who some of the bad ones was in the movies when it got revealed.

91RJTWf5XSL._SL1500_.jpg

2stripes

Jedi Master
weasel said:
2stripes said:

What's this "Revenge of the Sith" thing? There are only 3 SW films. Shrugs his shoulders in bemusement

But son...you see... you're not 44 years old, so you just don't get it... those are models...none of this cgi shite.

To be honest I probably got on his nerves whispering the lines at him. :D

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
2stripes said:
weasel said:
2stripes said:

But son...you see... you're not 44 years old, so you just don't get it... those are models...none of this cgi shite.

Is that not a Dad's job!?

2stripes

Jedi Master
weasel said:
2stripes said:
weasel said:

Is that not a Dad's job!?

That and stealing his popcorn once I finished the nachos.

MrGudz

Jedi Master
Supporter
Just recently rewatched the Michael Caine/Lewis Collins Jack The Ripper film. I remember being allowed to stay up and watch this as it was a school night. I really enjoyed it and as a Ripper fan thought it was far superior to the awful From Hell. Incidentally the graphic novel of the same name is a superb read. Well worth checking out

Pomse2001

Grand Master
MrGudz said:
Just recently rewatched the Michael Caine/Lewis Collins Jack The Ripper film. I remember being allowed to stay up and watch this as it was a school night. I really enjoyed it and as a Ripper fan thought it was far superior to the awful From Hell. Incidentally the graphic novel of the same name is a superb read. Well worth checking out

I do not know that version of jack the ripper with michael caine. I will put it on my want list :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom