latest film/ dvd you have seen

MrGudz

Jedi Master
Supporter
As well as The Mandalorian I've really got into Cobra Kai - The Karate Kid mini series on Netflix. A must watch if your a fan of the films.

2stripes

Jedi Master
Watched The Arrival again at the weekend, still one of my favorite sci-fi films of recent years. Then followed that up by watching a star is born, with Lady Gaga convinced by my wife and sister in law (who were having a girl night that I gate crashed) that "it's really good, you'll like it". I did! It was bit depressing but was not at all bad. A good double bill and headed to bed quite pissed on white wine.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Last night I saw chopping mall from 1986, cool movie with robots a hot naked girls 😂 they can't make movies like that today.

choppingmall2.jpg

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Just resurrecting this thread, I went to see Dune last night.
**** me!!!

Superb. It is visually amazing. Obviously there are a lot of special effects but they all blend in seamlessly and the whole thing looks superb. They have split the film in two parts, which makes sense given how complex the plot is and how much they need to explain. The film is over 2 hours long, that shows you how much story there is to tell, but it flies by. Genuinely a superb film. Exactly what I was hoping the last SW trilogy films would be. The difference being, this has a plot that isn't made up as they go along and the Director hasn't decided to **** out everything that had been established in the preceding films, for shits and giggles. Looking at you Ruin Johnson.

Definitely worth going to see Dune though.

I have seen the 80's David Lynch (?) film and read the book, so I knew the story, but from what I have seen on Twitter etc. those who went in not knowing much of what it was about have not been left utterly confused as most people where by the Lynch film.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Just resurrecting this thread, I went to see Dune last night.
**** me!!!

Superb. It is visually amazing. Obviously there are a lot of special effects but they all blend in seamlessly and the whole thing looks superb. They have split the film in two parts, which makes sense given how complex the plot is and how much they need to explain. The film is over 2 hours long, that shows you how much story there is to tell, but it flies by. Genuinely a superb film. Exactly what I was hoping the last SW trilogy films would be. The difference being, this has a plot that isn't made up as they go along and the Director hasn't decided to **** out everything that had been established in the preceding films, for shits and giggles. Looking at you Ruin Johnson.

Definitely worth going to see Dune though.

I have seen the 80's David Lynch (?) film and read the book, so I knew the story, but from what I have seen on Twitter etc. those who went in not knowing much of what it was about have not been left utterly confused as most people where by the Lynch film.
Is it better than the movie from 84 ? I think the 84 movie was fantastic. I was very disappointed with the Dune tv mini series from 2000 and children of dune from 2003.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Is it better than the movie from 84 ? I think the 84 movie was fantastic. I was very disappointed with the Dune tv mini series from 2000 and children of dune from 2003.
Ohh **** yeah, it is superb. Genuinely the best film I have seen in the cinema since LOTR's.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I went to see Dune yesterday. It is really good, I enjoyed it a lot. The cinematography, production design, special effects and all that were amazing, as you'd expect. He's a great director and it was very well shot. Nowhere near as good as the original though. It missed the mark on a few fronts. Apart from Paul Atredies and his mother who were both really good, and Stilgar, all the other characters/performances were a bit weak. The original film had such an amazing cast this film had big shoes to fill. Baron Harkonnen was very disappointing, Rabban was under utilised and there was no Feyd? I also felt the script/story was a bit lacking. It's like they deliberately tried to do everything a bit different to the original which just resulted in it not being as good. I'll definitely see it again though. It's visually spectacular and well worth a watch. Go see it, make up your own mind! Can't wait for part two. 7/10

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Interesting. I thought Jason Mamomamamamama was solid enough, and Duke Leto was good. Different people have different preferences I guess. I suspect the Baron and Rabban will come into it more in Part 2. They don't play a huge role in part one, as it is more setting the scene and
showing the collapse of house Atreadies

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
I loved it! The sheer scale was amazing. I completely bought into it, which I've never been able to do with the original.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
That's more like the reaction I was expecting.
@Robstyley must just be very hard to please! ;-)
No not at all. In fact the opposite, I often like films that people are very critical of. I have a large collection and I like a lot of old, low budget, bad special effects, cheesy films that you'd probably hate 😄. Don't get me wrong, this is a great movie. We're discussing films, I was just pointing out a few things that didn't do it for me. Part of it is definitely the fact that I am such a fan of the original, I can't help compare. I do agree actually that Duncan was a great character in this, featured more than in the original. That's something they did well.

UKS

Jedi Knight
Dune was really good. But it felt long in the bits that didn't need it, yet either missed or glossed over quickly the clever politics parts. This is why it isn't "amazing" in my review. Hopefully part 2 will boost it to Amazing. (Though how part 2 is going to take the final 1/5th of the story and make it a whole film is a bit worrying. The Fremen bits are the boring ones and I'd hate to see that super expanded...)

Bond was OK, then Ehhh then Bad.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, I'm intrigued as to how they finish it. We all know what happens in the end (assuming you have read the book or seen the original) but they have set the bar very high with the first part.

As far as the politics goes, I guess that was a Directorial choice. The book is vast and they had to miss out bits of it. It may have been a decision based on the fact that most people don't really want to sit a watch politics. Granted this is Sci-fi and not everyday life politics, but I give you 'a trade blockade' and various shity scenes in the Imperial Senate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom