Sith Lord
Just found this, a short video of what the Sami people are about:
[youtube]ZZIU7KEis3w[/youtube]

And this is my town, yay! :p
[youtube]VO9UBVyG-Sk[/youtube]

Now you know why shipping is so bloody expensive from here! :lol: :lol:

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Interesting stuff. I remember a TV program about the sami people. I think it might have been Ray Mears. I like the traditional dress and the craft skills, and the synergy of the people and the reindeer was incredible.

There is something enchanting about the north of europe. I will get to see the Northern lights one day. I remember my Grandad telling me about seeing them in the early 1940's from the deck of a U-boat. The mrs has been scuba diving in the fjords. She said it was amazing. cold water but crystal clear and amazing wrecks.

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
Firstly now I get why shipping is so hideous :) stunning town nothing like where I like far less in burnt out cars :)
Whoa whoa whoa! Mr S come on tell me more early 40s .......U boat this smells of WW2???

Mr-shifter said:
. I will get to see the Northern lights one day. I remember my Grandad telling me about seeing them in the early 1940's from the deck of a U-boat.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
jambobbyb said:
Firstly now I get why shipping is so hideous :) stunning town nothing like where I like far less in burnt out cars :)
Whoa whoa whoa! Mr S come on tell me more early 40s .......U boat this smells of WW2???

Mr-shifter said:
. I will get to see the Northern lights one day. I remember my Grandad telling me about seeing them in the early 1940's from the deck of a U-boat.

Correct. Without hijacking the thread too much my mothers dad was German. He was orphaned at the age of three under very suspicious circumstances. His dad left the family one day and his mother was discovered dead in her bed. Him and his siblings were split up and he ended up as being free labour on a farm with his foster parents. When his education finished he joined the kriegsmarine to get away and ended up as a watchman on a u boat.

The boat he was on is at the bottom of the English chanel. By pure miracle all hands survived and were picked up out of the sea by the navy. He then spent the rest of the war firstly as a pow in the South East where he met my nan, followed by a year in southern America picking cotton and tobacco. When the war ended he was given three choices. Apply for immigration to America, return to Germany or return to England. Since he had already met my nan and had very little left for him in Germany, he resettled in England, found my nan again and the rest is history.

There is a lot more to the story in terms of details. He is my hero. All his life he faced adversity and yet he kept going.

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
That is an absolutely brilliant story Mr S I collect military items and I have had some WW2 U-boat items, they were some very brave men indeed. Many thanks for sharing his story!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom