Note to self - don't buy from the U.S

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Oh man, bought something special that I've wanted for a long time, from the States. An all metal, accurate, machined replica Han Solo blaster. It was not inexpensive and the postage was insane, almost a deal breaker. But I thought **** it, as you sometimes do and went for it because I wanted it. The next bit just shows my naivety as I don't buy things from the States. Just got a message from Fedex - your Fedex shipment has been imported from outside the EU and is subject to an import charge of 83.85 GBP. It's my own stupid fault I know, should have checked it out or asked the seller. Had no idea, assumed the extortionate postage included it. Been absolutely reemed out :lol: Had no choice but to pay or I'll never get it. When it does arrive it will be all the more appreciated knowing the ****ing postage and duty cost half as much as the blaster did :roll: I really can't understand how anyone can justify buying Vintage from there. It must cost so much!?

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Robstyley said:
Oh man, bought something special that I've wanted for a long time, from the States. An all metal, accurate, machined replica Han Solo blaster. It was not inexpensive and the postage was insane, almost a deal breaker. But I thought **** it, as you sometimes do and went for it because I wanted it. The next bit just shows my naivety as I don't buy things from the States. Just got a message from Fedex - your Fedex shipment has been imported from outside the EU and is subject to an import charge of 83.85 GBP. It's my own stupid fault I know, should have checked it out or asked the seller. Had no idea, assumed the extortionate postage included it. Been absolutely reemed out :lol: Had no choice but to pay or I'll never get it. When it does arrive it will be all the more appreciated knowing the ****ing postage and duty cost half as much as the blaster did :roll: I really can't understand how anyone can justify buying Vintage from there. It must cost so much!?

I feel your pain... for me to buy from the US nowadays the item has to be an absolute bargain, so once I've factored the taxes in its still,cheaper than buying here.
Unfortunately thanks to Brexit buying from the EU is just a prohibitive now.😔
Anyway, enjoy the blaster and just think of how many times you tell the story about the postage and taxes.😏

indianawars

Sith Lord
It's a contributing factor to why I knocked collecting on the head. I was priced out, and the few pounds that I could save buying from the US quickly dissappeared with import and postage.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
This is something that has come up on the FB groups and it may be worth your while investigating it. Assuming your item is vintage it refers to the fact that vintage items have a unique VAT charge of 5% instead of the regular 20%.

If you are looking to claim the form you will need to use is: BOR286. The vintage commodity code is :9705000090. Good luck.

Here is the whole of what was posted in response to it:

PAYING THE CORRECT FEES FOR IMPORTING STAR WARS TOYS: Following on from today's post about getting stung when buying from abroad, there are 2 points to remember:
Firstly, you can get the VAT charged at the correct rate of 5% rather than 20% by having the sender write "Vintage Collectibles" and code "9705000090". Thank you to Tom Scaife and others for providing this information previously.
Secondly, you can also avoid the handling fees that Royal Mail (£8) and other couriers (price varies) charge by having the sender write "good to be cleared by customs importer" clearly on the parcel. This means that when your goods arrive at Customs in Coventry they will send you a letter requesting payment before they release it to Royal Mail or the courier. This will however be a longer process.
If you are hit with a handling fee you can either pay it, argue with Royal Mail or the Courer or ring HMRC and pay direct (meaning Royal mail will have to deliver it without the handling fee). The handling fee can be challenged as the Postal Act of 2000 states "it is illegal for a courier to hold a parcel in lieu of payment" and that is what the handling charge is.
If you do challenge the handling charge at your local sorting office do remember though that the person you are speaking with is not the one who designed the system and is part of a team that in my opinion do a fantastic job (mine do anyway) so stay polite and stick to the facts.
Of course you maybe able to avoid the fees altogether by having the items marked as gifts and lower values declared but this is illegal and some sellers will refuse to do it.
Hope this all helps a bit.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Thanks Jabba, appreciate the info. It wasn't vintage though, it was a brand new 1:1 steel blaster replica which cost quite a lot of money. I still may look into it though as it seems rather a lot considering how much I paid for postage as well.

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Robstyley said:
Thanks Jabba, appreciate the info. It wasn't vintage though, it was a brand new 1:1 steel blaster replica which cost quite a lot of money. I still may look into it though as it seems rather a lot considering how much I paid for postage as well.

Field Marshall?

Robstyley

Sith Lord
db94 said:
Robstyley said:

Field Marshall?

Indeed! I'll be honest, now it's here I don't care how much it cost to get it here. I'm in love :lol:

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Bought a denix a few years back but haven't done anything with it. Seriously considering ordering up a FM they look great 8)
Congratulations on getting yours - definitely worth the shipping mate

Robstyley

Sith Lord
db94 said:
Bought a denix a few years back but haven't done anything with it. Seriously considering ordering up a FM they look great 8)

Thanks mate. It's well made and he sells all the parts separately or a full kit as a package. Well worth it if you already have the base gun. I've coveted this prop for a long while, it's so cool. I'm moving more towards props and costumes and away from toys now. I just find it more satisfying.

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Robstyley said:
db94 said:
I'm moving more towards props and costumes and away from toys now. I just find it more satisfying.

I pretty much did the same thing a few years back, really rewarding and enjoyable part of SW collecting. I should really get my arse into gear and post up some pics in the props thread

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Ask DHL for a breakdown. I got stung a few years ago buying art from Australia when they put the tax claim in on their postage.

I rejected their invoice and they backed down so I expect it's something they try on quite regularly

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom