Old Tv ads

chazb73

Sith Lord
I love watching the old TV adverts on You Tube.

This one is great "Woolworths" cica 78 - no Star Wars toys in it, but a nice Bionic man watch.

This must have cost woolies a lot a dosh - loads of TV "celebs" from the era in it - just shows you how much shopping has changed in 35 years.

(there is a boring minute intro on this) :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li2XRVt9Clo

I know there are loads of SW tv ads - but has anyone found a UK shop advert showing them???

chazb73

Sith Lord
fuzzybuzzytoys said:
Am the only one watching this going "dead...dead...dead...dead"

:lol:

Very true

Windsor Davies is still going (I think) :?

The differences between shopping then and now are incredible.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
I just bought a tin of Quality St for £4 ( smaller I grant you) :lol:

That advert really took me back, and yes loads of them are no longer with us, thank god Saville wasnt on there :?

Here's a few

Ignore the first bit TRU advert

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D31z5XAZvew

Japanese

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zl9rK8KlRoI

Kenner

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WTXBza5wGEY

chazb73

Sith Lord
Michael Sith said:
I just bought a tin of Quality St for £4 ( smaller I grant you) :lol:

That advert really took me back, and yes loads of them are no longer with us, thank god Saville wasnt on there :?

Here's a few

Ignore the first bit TRU advert

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D31z5XAZvew

Japanese

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zl9rK8KlRoI

Kenner

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WTXBza5wGEY

Thanks Mike :)

Yes thank crikey Saville wasn't in them.

Love than ad. Funny you should mention the QS - I was surprised the tin in 78 was a fiver - same as today but you got a lot more back then

Fishtalk

Jedi Knight
Used to love those epic Woolworths ads, they seemed to go on forever. You knew Christmas was close when it came on, that and the Christmas double edition Radio Times.

Nowadays the emphasis seems to be about food, only Boots and Marks and Spencers have ads that remind me of the classic Woolworths ones.

Still hard to believe that Woolworths is gone, it was such a success for so long. Visit any Town or City in the U.K and you can instantly spot which shop used to be Woolies.

chazb73

Sith Lord
Fishtalk said:
Used to love those epic Woolworths ads, they seemed to go on forever. You knew Christmas was close when it came on, that and the Christmas double edition Radio Times.

Nowadays the emphasis seems to be about food, only Boots and Marks and Spencers have ads that remind me of the classic Woolworths ones.

Still hard to believe that Woolworths is gone, it was such a success for so long. Visit any Town or City in the U.K and you can instantly spot which shop used to be Woolies.

Totally agree mate

Woolies was always there. The highstreet had changed so rapidly

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Yes sadly change sometimes is not for the better.

Having said that, my Mrs wanted some florists wire today, I found a little shop an old corner shop, little old lady behind the counter, she went in the back and came out with a bunch of about 50 wires about 10 inch long and said " that'll be 10p please" to which I replied " each" ...don't be silly came the reply :lol:

Love these types of shops, little enclaves of the past :D

chazb73

Sith Lord
Michael Sith said:
Yes sadly change sometimes is not for the better.

Having said that, my Mrs wanted some florists wire today, I found a little shop an old corner shop, little old lady behind the counter, she went in the back and came out with a bunch of about 50 wires about 10 inch long and said " that'll be 10p please" to which I replied " each" ...don't be silly came the reply :lol:

Love these types of shops, little enclaves of the past :D

Yes Mike - love those shops also - sadly disappearing fast

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
It's amazing how the prices have or (haven't in some cases) changed since then, nearly 40 years later:

Quality Street Tin £4.99 - about the same as now
Flat-packed side table £27.99 - about the same (Ikea!)
Digital clock radio £19.99 - probably only £5 these days!
Records £1.49 - about the same (MP3's 99p-£1.49)
Kid's watch £8.99 - about the same
Polaroid £21.95 - cheaper (digital camera £75-£100)

And they wonder why everybody is skint now - I bet property prices/rent have gone up ten-fold over that period, if not more, yet wages and day-to-day items have increased nowhere near that much.

chazb73

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
It's amazing how the prices have or (haven't in some cases) changed since then, nearly 40 years later:

Quality Street Tin £4.99 - about the same as now
Flat-packed side table £27.99 - about the same (Ikea!)
Digital clock radio £19.99 - probably only £5 these days!
Records £1.49 - about the same (MP3's 99p-£1.49)
Kid's watch £8.99 - about the same
Polaroid £21.95 - cheaper (digital camera £75-£100)

And they wonder why everybody is skint now - I bet property prices/rent have gone up ten-fold over that period, if not more, yet wages and day-to-day items have increased nowhere near that much.

Yep - pretty much spot on Edd.

I was surprised by the QS tin price :lol: (although it looks pretty big!)

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
That gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside, a trip down memory lane :)

The high street has changed beyond recognition - very, very few independents left now, rents are too high in city centres and the internet's killed of most of the competition - and yet shopping is now our national pastime - Sunday is the new Saturday for most people these days. I think the next 10 years will pretty much see the end of the book store as we know it, along with dvd's and cd's.

Sad to think, but at least we got to see the high street in it's golden years.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Books 8)

I can't bloody read from the ipad etc, and there is no substitute for a book in hand, tactile, just feels right reading this way, but as generations are used to electronic books, then when us oldies die out so will books to a certain degree, but they will always be there

chazb73

Sith Lord
I actually worry for what it will be like for my kids in the future. Just look at that black Friday nonsense - it was a disgusting show :(

Totally agree Mike - books all the way.

Language, spelling and the meaning of words have always changed with time - but we are about to see the biggest leap ever in that change

(think I've went off topic) :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom