Paypal Gift & Goods payments

plantman

Sith Lord
I just thought i would highlight the risks of using these options outside of ebay, especially with someone you dont know or trust.

payment via gift is essentially a free bank transfer, there is no protection at all (as there is no actual goods involved supposedly) so if paypal are going to charge you for gift payment you may as well use your online banking to do it.

payment via goods invoice ect incurs something like a 4% fee, with this you get "seller protection" which is a load of crap, you are protected against non-receipt claims as long as you can prove delivery/signature ect, and we all know that couriers leave parcels unsigned for, give them to neighbours, or the buyer could sign for them with a different name, giving you a headache trying to prove your case.

But the key thing is that there is NO protection against chargebacks, so even if paypal sided with you on delivery, the buyer could ring his card company and reverse the charge, and paypal will not help you, they will deduct the amount from you and thats it.

paypal only cover chargebacks on deals done through ebay, so no paypal payments are protected.

my advice would be ask for cash, postal order or collection, i hear more and more stories of chargebacks.

Andy

Palifan

Sith Lord
So does that mean if you sell something through ebay and the buyer issues a chargeback once they have the item that you are covered as a seller and would not have your money taken? I'm guessing this may only work if you have proof that it arrived but what if the buyer doesn't want to pay for signed for delivery and states that the item never arrived?

plantman

Sith Lord
Yeah ebay offers chargeback protection if you go via ebay, you also need proof of postage too.

if you pay someone via straight paypal gift you have no protection from anything, if you pay for goods, you are covered only for not as described and not received cases, they will not compensate you for a chargeback, thats why they say to do deals through ebay s its safer

x-pack

Grand Master
I give people the option if they buy from me. It's up to them. I suppose they find the deal more attractive minus 4%. But I wasn't aware of a risk as a seller! So basically all fb transactions are risky?

Thankfully I've not heard of anyone being caught out with this.

plantman

Sith Lord
Yeah they dont mention it but if you went into a bank and told them that the gift payment wasnt by you or it was an accident they can reverse the charge to paypal, as paypal are in the middle they then charge your account.

Banks (especially credit cards) have full control, paypal are a middleman with no authority to prevent a chargeback.

Lindo

Sith Lord
someone tried this with me, he bought something off me on ebay, went to his bank to reverse the charge rather than opening an ebay case, had to ring paypal and prove delivery then they told him to **** of and gave me my money back, always some scumbag **** somewhere that will try to **** you over!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom