Posting your sold items, who to use!

plantman

Sith Lord
Just thought i would start this off, with prices increasing, claims being made, crap tracking ect, i thought we could list our options for best delivery service.

personally anything under £50 i tend to use royal mail recorded/Airsure as long as its a small packet. Anything of more value or bigger i use www.Parcel2go.com and get the best quote from a courier (usually fedex or UPS) for both UK and international

But ive started using www.collectplus.co.uk a lot now as the wife hates queuing at the post office behind scum, good thing is you pay via paypal online, print the label, take it to a shop in your area and drop it there, the courier picks it up from there and its trackable from door to door, only costs £4.99 and you can upgrade insurance for £1 ect.

Might be convenient for some of you.

if anyone else has preferences put them in here

mumbo

Sith Lord
I also use collect+ myself but only when weight is over 1kg. Have used quite a few times through eBay sales and have not had a problem and it's a lot cheaper than Royal Mail. You can link your eBay account to your collect+ account to make label printing easier and like Andy said for an additional £1 you can obtain a signature upon receipt otherwise it is fully tracked.

snaggletooth

Jedi Master
plantman said:
Just thought i would start this off, with prices increasing, claims being made, crap tracking ect, i thought we could list our options for best delivery service.

personally anything under £50 i tend to use royal mail recorded/Airsure as long as its a small packet. Anything of more value or bigger i use http://www.Parcel2go.com and get the best quote from a courier (usually fedex or UPS) for both UK and international

But ive started using http://www.collectplus.co.uk a lot now as the wife hates queuing at the post office behind scum, good thing is you pay via paypal online, print the label, take it to a shop in your area and drop it there, the courier picks it up from there and its trackable from door to door, only costs £4.99 and you can upgrade insurance for £1 ect.

Great thread mate, I've only used the parcel2go once and I sent a box full off of 20+ annuals and SW books to the states, I think that was through UPS and TNT picked it up from my door, 48hrs latter it was delivered. Was an awesome service and just under £40 if I remember right and RM was looking at £75+ I think RM are going to loose a lot of custom through these silly rises.
When you say small packet, do they have to fit through there letter box type measure that they use?

plantman

Sith Lord
snaggletooth said:
plantman said:

personally anything under £50 i tend to use royal mail recorded/Airsure as long as its a small packet. Anything of more value or bigger i use http://www.Parcel2go.com and get the best quote from a courier (usually fedex or UPS) for both UK and international

But ive started using http://www.collectplus.co.uk a lot now as the wife hates queuing at the post office behind scum, good thing is you pay via paypal online, print the label, take it to a shop in your area and drop it there, the courier picks it up from there and its trackable from door to door, only costs £4.99 and you can upgrade insurance for £1 ect.

Great thread mate, I've only used the parcel2go once and I sent a box full off of 20+ annuals and SW books to the states, I think that was through UPS and TNT picked it up from my door, 48hrs latter it was delivered. Was an awesome service and just under £40 if I remember right and RM was looking at £75+ I think RM are going to loose a lot of custom through these silly rises.
When you say small packet, do they have to fit through there letter box type measure that they use?

no mate a small packet is under 2kg i think, there may be dimensional restrictions too, if it fits through a letter box its classed as a large letter.

thing is, rm recorded is ok up to about 1kg then the price goes up to courier prices, i got a p2go quote for a 5kg parcel with hermes and it was £4.50 inc vat and they pick it up from you lol

snaggletooth

Jedi Master
Thanks for clearing that up for me, its all a bit confusing with the amount of times they change there prices.

I've robed this link of flycasual so people can compare there prices for smaller parcels.
http://www.royalmail.com/prices-2013

ODB

Jedi Master
Parcel Monkey are also very good for items that you need couriered. Far better than Parcel Farce or the other major brands.

spoons

Grand Master
Another vote for parcel2go - cost me £6 to send a monitor back to a seller insured and tracked. Weighed a ton but Hermes didn't seem to question the 2kg marked weight and picked up from my house.

Never using RM again

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
My Hermes has a drop off option similar the collect+ that you can book through Parcel2Go. Prices are very reasonable for UK items, from £3.75 I think. There is an off license round the corner from me that accepts the parcels that's open til 11pm every day. Way better than going to the post office or waiting in all day for a courier.

Sadly, RM is still best for small/light international packages. But nothing over 2kg.

Badboybez1

Padawan
Started using Collect+ because if the huge rise in prices at the Post Office.
Think they may start to regret the increases now!
Also not tied to visiting a PO in normal working hours.
Local 24hr petrol station is a drop off point or Collect+ so works better for me.

x-pack

Grand Master
Collect+

Just started using them and they seem ok. Posted my broken PS3 for exchange last week and it got there in 3 days for £4.99. Not bad for quite a heavy parcel 8)

PGowdy

Grand Master
Yeah i'm really gonna have to start using parcel2go to send my medium boxes. The ROyal Mail price hikes have completely killed on of my (formerly) best selling products. Have not sold a single one since i put the postage up from £3 to £6 (well i wouldn't ****ing pay that either!)
Couriers, amazingly, seem like the much cheaper option. Just proves that RM aren't charging what it actually costs tho doesn't it. Just pure greed. Wankers.

PGowdy

Grand Master
Used parcel2go for the first time today.

Had 2 shoe-box size boxes to send one weighing about 1.6lb the other 1.4lb. Within the UK/domestic.
I know at Royal Mail those would cost close to £8-9 each now for tracked.

The cheapest quote i got was a company called "Hermes" so "bought" that deal. Paid 30p extra to get a text when it arrives with the buyer.
Hermes will be picking the packages up from my house tomorrow and they will be delivered within about 3 days.

Total cost each (including a 2% fee for paying via paypal rather than debit card) = £3.73

The only bummer was my printer ran out of ink last week so i had to stop off in an internet cafe *shudder* on my way to the shops this afternoon and print out the labels.But there's an easy solution to that... :roll:

I'll let you all know how it all goes.

itfciain

Grand Master
That is cheap - God knows how they can charge that price - it costs me about £2.00 in fuel just to run down to the post office & back :lol:

PGowdy

Grand Master
itfciain said:
That is cheap - God knows how they can charge that price - it costs me about £2.00 in fuel just to run down to the post office & back :lol:

Yes but i went over this before, there's the mantra that often gets banded around..."£3 to take 1 package from london to scotland... how can you say that's expensive... you wouldn't do it would you?" Which is just so ill informed and wide of the mark of what is actually happening it's not funny.
If one van was taking one package from london to scotland, newcastle, liverpool wherever... of course it wouldn't be able to do it for £3. It would need to charge £300 and that would be a fair price.
But in the case of the Royal Mail (and couriers) they are cramming a large van FULL of packages envelopes, boxes etc. Probably up to 3,000 in each van (and sometimes probably way more). At an average of £3 per package. Which comes to £9,000 per van in revenue.
Ok, those vans may not ALWAYS be crammed full but give or take a few grand you can rake it in once you have a network of vans and warehouses and sorting offices in place.
Trust me, these courier companies c an charge £3.73 for a small box because along with the other several hundred boxes in the van they are KILLING it. Otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. They could charge half that and still make money.

PGowdy

Grand Master
itfciain said:

Also, walk you lazy bastard. :lol:

A

Anonymous

I have used my Hermes a lot recently for larger items, and with them they even do a pick up from the door for a little bit extra cost. This is great for me as I live in the sticks and it would cost me way more to go into town to post these things.

And they are much cheaper than royal mail for large items.

Dave

theslider

Sith Lord
I've started to use MyHermes now because the Royal Mail is prohibitively expensive - all a precursor to its privatisation :(

Not had a problem with Hermes yet. Touch wood.

PGowdy

Grand Master
theslider said:
I've started to use MyHermes now because the Royal Mail is prohibitively expensive - all a precursor to its privatisation :(

Not had a problem with Hermes yet. Touch wood.

Yeah i even sent a super-heavy box last week with them. Again about the size of a show-box but nearly 3lbs in weight. Still only a fiver and picked up from my house and dropped off with a text letting me know it got there. Sent a much larger box somewhere (big enough to fit a frying pan in :lol: it wasn't a frying pan :lol: ) and that was only £3.73 cos it was below 1kg. 8)

Rebel_Runner

Jedi Master
Whats going on with RML charges? had to return a pair of running trainers and it cost me £8 for second class recorded. DAYLIGHT BLEEDING ROBBERY!!! :x

will be using collect plus from now on as the CO-OP next door to my PO does it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom