Premier League 2019/2020 Thread

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
first of all, can you believe it is 2020 in 6 months :eek: where's my hover car?!

The fixture list has just been released, I'm pretty happy with Tottenham's fixtures. Apart from playing City second, Spurs have a pretty cushy start to the season, playing only 2 of the top 4 in to late December. Three very winnable games at the end too (and look where that got us this season.) What I'm pleased to see is a nice spread of 'difficult' games, we usually get stitched up with three or four big games in a row.

lejackal

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
first of all, can you believe it is 2020 in 6 months :eek: where's my hover car?!
:lol:

More concerning is the fact that means I'm 40 next year :eek: :shock:

lejackal

Grand Master
How do people feel about the break in February?
Is it really needed? Is February too late? Is a split break fair?
I feel a full 7-14 day break for everyone in mid January would've been better. I have no stats to quote, that's just my gut feeling.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
It seems to me that teams are always worse after a break, just look at that shite CL final. Obviously injuries are a concern for 2+ matches per week but it certainly seems to make teams and players better.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Man Utd's fixtures are alright, we have Chelsea at home first game and then a pretty nice spread for the rest of the season. Although end of September and October looks a bit tricky. Really nice April and May, I'm pretty sure we will stay up. :lol:

And yes 2020, 2 full decades since the 90's. :shock:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
lejackal said:
I feel a full 7-14 day break for everyone in mid January would've been better. I have no stats to quote, that's just my gut feeling.

Daft idea. Not sure what the point is. If you're going to do it, do it at xmas, not in bloody Feb when CL and EL kick off again.
Some poor bastards will end up drawing Barca/Real and not have had a game for 2 weeks. That can only go well.

Sayin that, we all know clubs will drag their players off on some money making exercise to the far east/Amurca or Australia and dress it up as warm weather training etc.

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
weasel said:
lejackal said:

Daft idea. Not sure what the point is. If you're going to do it, do it at xmas, not in bloody Feb when CL and EL kick off again.
Some poor bastards will end up drawing Barca/Real and not have had a game for 2 weeks. That can only go well.

Sayin that, we all know clubs will drag their players off on some money making exercise to the far east/Amurca or Australia and dress it up as warm weather training etc.

I see today that clubs aren't going to be allowed to play friendlies during the break

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Stuart Skinner said:
weasel said:
lejackal said:

I see today that clubs aren't going to be allowed to play friendlies during the break

I hadnt seen that. Interesting.
I wonder if clubs go off on a tour and just hapoen to play a few "exhibition" matches or a so called 'testimonial' what will te FA do?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Anything like last season and Man City and Liverpool will only really play exhibition matches all season!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
And in his one season of managerial experience Lampard got the 6th best team in the Championship to ehhhh sixth in the ehhh Championship.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
weasel said:
And in his one season of managerial experience Lampard got the 6th best team in the Championship to ehhhh sixth in the ehhh Championship.

It's a fair point but by that barometer Jurgen Klopp hasn't improved on his predecessor either! In fact I can't think of many PL managers who have managed it in recent years.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Reports today that Man Utd are willing to pay Pogba £500,000 a week to keep him! Crazy. :cry:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
weasel said:

It's a fair point but by that barometer Jurgen Klopp hasn't improved on his predecessor either! In fact I can't think of many PL managers who have managed it in recent years.

True, but I just can't get my head round how doing as well as expected at a Championship team qualifies you for one of the biggest jobs in England. Being a great player/club legend has **** all relevance to your ability to manage. Using my favourite analgy who would you rather performed a brain operation on you, a trained surgeon or your mate Dave who has had a couple of lobotomies? Sure, Dave knows all about HAVING brain operations, but he knows FA about how to perform one...

On the note of people who need lobotomised.....

theforceuk said:
Reports today that Man Utd are willing to pay Pogba £500,000 a week to keep him! Crazy. :cry:

.....Whoever at Utd thinks it's a good idea to keep Pogba around,never mind give him a massive pay rise, should be at the front of the queue. It's also probably best for society that they don't bred.
Pogba has been a massive disappointment at Utd, he has rarely (and I'm being generous) looked like a 90m player. I can't think of many games where he has stood out. He had a "good" run of form after Jose left, but that can be put down to the easy games, the general euphoria that Jose had ****ed off, and fact Pogba takes penalties. For one of the supposed "best" players in the world he has had A LOT more anonymous games than good ones. Then we come to his recent comments about wanting to move. Granted that could be to try and get a new contract but he has been flirting with Real and Juve for a year now. He's more concerned about his image and his instagram following than football. Fergy was right to let him go. Utd were daft to resign him especially for 90m, and will be even dafter if they give him a new contract.

Not sure how the rest of the players will take it either. If i was DDG. Who has 1 or 2 years left on his contract, I would just walk in and point out how many times I had carried Utd and how few Pogba has and demand 600k or more.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Rafa to leave Newcastle. That's them ****ed then.

At least they can't go back to Fat Sam and Moyesy did Sunderland so that probably rules him out (assuming being a shite manager didn't already) that probably means they'll end up with some muppet yes-man who'll take them down.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom