Premier League 2019/2020 Thread

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
I thought I was the only person that believed that :lol:

Juve have sacked Sarri after winning the league :eek: OK they got knocked out of the CL, but still. Apparently they want Poch, not convinced that's a wise move because for all his talents, he is not a winner. You can't say the same about Sarri, having succeeded at winning in his last two short stints.

They don't want Poch. They have appointed Pirlo! Lol

theforceuk said:
Thats City through and with a nice draw against Leon, although they knocked Juventus out. Could be City's year?

City's luck with cushy draws transfers itself to Europe.

edd_jedi said:
I'm still annoyed that Spurs didn't get the nice cushy 4 month CL break all the other teams got, we were in a really **** place with injuries and results when we went out.

Had Pool had it, we wouldn't have had to play Adrian and he wouldn't have been able to pass straight to Atletico's CF 20 seconds after we took the lead on aggregate.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Saying City got s cushy draw, Utd have a nice one to. They have basically got a bye to EL semi finals. A bit of an indictment if the calibre of teams in the EL though

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
City have knocked out Real Madrid who only conceded 26 goals in La Liga, but yeah anther easy draw. As for Utd, I'm loving that draw, but that's why know one cares about the Europa league any more. Back in the 80's and 90's whoever came second in the league would go into the UEFA Cup and make it something descent to win, but now it is literally a second rate trophy. When Utd won it in 2017 it was ridiculous who we played to win it, we've had harder league cup runs, without playing PL teams!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
weasel said:

Hiring a young(ish) ex-player seems to be flavour of the month! No doubt the recent 'success' of Ole, Lampard and Arteta has not gone unnoticed. I still think they've all just had a large dose of beginners luck, but we'll see...

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
theforceuk said:
City have knocked out Real Madrid who only conceded 26 goals in La Liga, but yeah anther easy draw. As for Utd, I'm loving that draw, but that's why know one cares about the Europa league any more. Back in the 80's and 90's whoever came second in the league would go into the UEFA Cup and make it something descent to win, but now it is literally a second rate trophy. When Utd won it in 2017 it was ridiculous who we played to win it, we've had harder league cup runs, without playing PL teams!

Oh aye, that's what I mean by "transfers itself to Europe". For the last few years City have had ridiculously easy draws Almost every time in domestic cup competitions, all whilst getting stinkers in the CL. Not quite to the extent Spurs did, but still more than their fair share of real stinkers. Now they get probably the weakest team left in.

And I agree in the EL, it's sad to see as UEFA cup was a great competition. Where it not for CL spot for the winner the EL would be less use than the Carling cup. In fact you prob get more money for winning the. Carling cup.

I think I pointed out when Utd won EL they had a cake walk compared to the sides Pool had to play when they lost to Sevilla. Pool beat Dortmund and Utd en route to losing that final (cheers Moreno you wanker). Not sure Utd played anyone even a quarter decent bar Ajax in the final. Pot luck to an extent, but it shows just how poor the EL has become.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
weasel said:

Hiring a young(ish) ex-player seems to be flavour of the month! No doubt the recent 'success' of Ole, Lampard and Arteta has not gone unnoticed. I still think they've all just had a large dose of beginners luck, but we'll see...

I agree. Good players rarely make good managers. For every Pep, Ancelotti and (arguably) Zidane There are a dozen Maradona's, Gary Neville's and John Barnes'.

Saying that Seria A is a one team league, on a par with the SPL albeit much more skillful. So winning the league with Juve should be a given to pretty much anyone with the first clue about football.

lejackal

Grand Master
Obviously as a gooner I'm on the side of the young upstarts but honestly you lot have gone from moaning about the usual suspects being rolled out for any half decent job to moaning about new, albeit, ex player blood entering the managerial gene pool.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
weasel said:
theforceuk said:

Oh aye, that's what I mean by "transfers itself to Europe". For the last few years City have had ridiculously easy draws Almost every time in domestic cup competitions, all whilst getting stinkers in the CL. Not quite to the extent Spurs did, but still more than their fair share of real stinkers. Now they get probably the weakest team left in.

And I agree in the EL, it's sad to see as UEFA cup was a great competition. Where it not for CL spot for the winner the EL would be less use than the Carling cup. In fact you prob get more money for winning the. Carling cup.

I think I pointed out when Utd won EL they had a cake walk compared to the sides Pool had to play when they lost to Sevilla. Pool beat Dortmund and Utd en route to losing that final (cheers Moreno you wanker). Not sure Utd played anyone even a quarter decent bar Ajax in the final. Pot luck to an extent, but it shows just how poor the EL has become.

The trophy still looks nice though, saying that I just don't see Utd winning it. Can't put my finger on it, hope I'm wrong. That Seville side that won 3 in a row was ridiculous when it came to the El, they lived for that competition.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
lejackal said:
Obviously as a gooner I'm on the side of the young upstarts but honestly you lot have gone from moaning about the usual suspects being rolled out for any half decent job to moaning about new, albeit, ex player blood entering the managerial gene pool.

It's a fair point, but I don't recall any of us moaning about proven winners, we were moaning about the likes of Moyes, Allardyce, Hughes etc who all have vast experience but nothing to show for it yet seem to get offered every job going for some reason. I genuinely want to see managers like Lampard and Arteta succeed, but surely they should start out in the lower leagues and earn the top jobs like everyone else did? I just think winning major trophies in your first season as a manager is nothing more than fluke. I would say exactly the same if Spurs did it (in fact I think I used that exact word when we reached the CL final, and Poch had a good few years experience by then.)

Chelsea's 7-1 aggregate loss last night was a reality check for Frank.

lejackal

Grand Master
I know what your saying about coming up through the ranks but I just don't think top teams look at what people have done in the championship, never mind further down anymore. It's probably not right or fair but I can't remember the last time it happened either? 5 years? 10?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
edd_jedi summed it up well, but lejackal does have a point. I dunno what it is but big clubs seem to either go for a proven winner, normally a foreigner, or someone with no experience who "knows the club". I guess us fans are partly to blame. If the Board turned round and said "we are taking a chance on so-and-so who is an up and coming manager in the championship" the fans wud gurn that surely their club could do better and that the Board were showing a lack of ambition. Whereas if it's someone who knows the clubs then he has his reputation as a player to placate the fans. He is effectively seen as one of them. Or if it is someone from abroad nine times out of ten he has won a league or done well with his previous club. Something that you can't really do in the PL.

I guess as well the fact Barca and Real have had success with inexperienced managers (Pep, Zidane, Enrique, Rijkaard) tempts English clubs to try the same. The difference being La Liga is a two team league and those teams have been packed full of super stars.
Being guaranteed that even in a "bad" season you will finish no lower than 3rd and, thanks to CL seeding and your country's coefficient, you are all but guaranteed to get out if your group, is very different to the PL where there are 6 sides fighting it out for the CL spots most seasons. Seven this year with Leicester. Albeit you could make a pretty strong case to exclude Arsenal and Spurs from the six.

Ps, how **** were Barca and Real. Real were pish poor and Barca really are a man 1 man team with a few ageing stars and a bunch of nobodies alongside him. A lot of work required there to make them both competitive at the CL level. Given Barca's Bournemouth-esque transfer record and Madrid's obsession with flavour of the month players, I don't see either side sorting themselves out anytime soon.

Ohh and it was nice to see the Lyon boys diving, time wasting and fouling GBH style miles from goal against Juve. Nothing like getting a taste if your own medicine.
As for the free kick Juve got in injury time that Ronaldo twatted into the wall. Who saw that coming!? His record from free kicks is soooo good. What is it, 1 or 2 goals from them in how many years!? And he takes them ALL for club and country. :roll:
They would have more luck if they let the keeper take them and told him to treat it like a goal kick.

Not many chances left for Ronaldo to win another CL now. He is starting to get on a bit. Even great players like him can only last so long.

theforceuk said:
The trophy still looks nice though, saying that I just don't see Utd winning it. Can't put my finger on it, hope I'm wrong. That Seville side that won 3 in a row was ridiculous when it came to the El, they lived for that competition.

I dunno, that cup has Utd's name on it IMO. It's between them and Sevilla for me. I would love to see wolves win it but I can't see them having enough to beat 3 of the sides left it. Maybe the fact it is single leg ties from here on will help them. Who knows. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I can see Utd losing to Inter in the final, Sanchez getting the winner. Looking forward to both competitions, I can relax as Liverpool are out.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Just realised Utd get Sevilla in semi's. Or Copenhagen play Wolves, depending how the two quarter finals go.

Surely Utd would have been smart enough to out a clause in Sanchez's loan agreement that he cant play against them? Never understand clubs that don't do that.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
weasel said:
Just realised Utd get Sevilla in semi's. Or Copenhagen play Wolves, depending how the two quarter finals go.

Surely Utd would have been smart enough to out a clause in Sanchez's loan agreement that he cant play against them? Never understand clubs that don't do that.

Yeah I'm not sure, although I don't agree with clubs doing that if a player is playing for a club they should be able to play against who they like, double standards are never correct.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Why take the chance of him twatting a hat-trick though?
If you are allowed to specify he can't play against you, do it. There is nothing to be gained by letting him play against you.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
weasel said:
Why take the chance of him twatting a hat-trick though?
If you are allowed to specify he can't play against you, do it. There is nothing to be gained by letting him play against you.

I agree, I just don't think clubs should be aloud to specify. Will probably go out tonight anyway.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Watched 90min sof Utd last night, then turned it off. **** me they are a million miles away from the watchable side I remember as a kid. That was shite.
And they won cos they got a soft as **** pen :roll:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Sucked the life out of me that performance, any doubts I had about winning it were reinforced with that display. No other attacking options hurts us in games like that. They got through it though, I thought the ref was worse than our performance though.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I'll be honest I watched 25 mins then I half watched the rest it was that bad. Ref did give a ridiculously soft pen in first half that was overturned cos Maguire was offside. Bar that I didn't notice much. Dreadful excuse for a game.

Seen a few views of Utd pen. Never a pen. Soft as. They did look the better side, but that doesn't always mean much.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I don't have a problem with a performance like that every now and again, it happens. Believe it or not City and Liverpool have the odd game like that, the difference is they get over the line in 90 minutes more often than not. A performance like that is always around the corner for this Utd team, if that had been a league game it would have been 2 points dropped or worse.

The ref booked Bailly which was harsh and later didn't even give a free kick for a foul that was a booking. Loads of small errors that he was guilty of, I saw at least 2 foul throws.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom