R.I.P. David Bowie

BlueDog

Sith Lord
Absolutely gutted to hear this news, what a terrible few weeks for iconic Musicians. First Lemmy now Bowie.

2016 suck dogs balls so far.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
:shock:

Man, that is sad. A true icon.

I think he influenced most of the artists in my music collection.

Dam. Loss of a real legend.

I remember seeing him 1996. Very sad news.

x-pack

Grand Master
This is sad :cry:

My dad used to listen to Bowie and basically I picked up my dad's musical taste, so I listened to Bowie as well. When musicians are described as 'artists' he was the embodiment of what that should actually mean. David Bowie earned and deserved his fame.

A legend

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
Really shocked by this. I wouldn't describe myself as a fan (I only own a greatest hits CD) but I love the popular stuff and 'Modern Love', 'Ashes to Ashes' and 'Life on Mars' are all on my MP3 playlist. His influence looms large over so much music released in the past 40 years; he's also had a huge influence on culture (fashion, technology, etc...). I think it's already been said that in terms of shock and loss the only comparable death in music is John Lennon.

Along with Star Wars memories one of my abiding memories as kid is seeing the 'Ashes to ashes' promo video on Top of the Pops. It freaked me out and scared me a bit, but I absolutely loved it and the song.

Joe

Grand Master
I don't even think you have to be a huge fan of someone like Bowie to appreciate his music and the impact he's had on the world.

Really sad to hear he's gone, I hadn't thought about him for ages actually but noticed an advert for his new album on facebook just yesterday :(

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
He was a bit before my time so won't pretend to jump on the band wagon, but I can appreciate the loss of anybody that's made a difference. A real shame.

sith-smith

Grand Master
It's always sad when someone who's contributed greatly to a specific artistic field dies at a relatively young age.

Not a huge bowie fan as such though I do have some of his songs on every playlist I have on iTunes! Even my Christmas one! :D

RIP

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Really sad news. David Bowie is one of a few artist that my dad used to listen to, along with Bob Dylan, the Beatles, dire straits and fleetwood Mac, plus a few others.

When I was much younger, all I had to listen to were the old mans tapes. I got to my teens and suddenly dads music didn't seem so cool any more so I stopped listening to it. Why I thought happy hardcore was the way forward I don't know.

It's only now I'm older I can appreciate what excellent taste my dad had in music. His earlier stuff is my favourite but he has branched out into so much. I remember my house mate at university buying me a drum and base album he made, but the name escapes me.

kingshearer

Jedi Master
Has to be the biggest and most creative musician of the 70's even when the Beatles went solo none of them got near him.
He was always re-inventing himself and his music was always top notch.
His 69th birthday last Friday and the release of his latest album 'Blackstar' and then his death on Sunday.
I was never a fan in the 80's and 90's, but I always had his greatest hits until fairly recently (about 5 years ago) when I bought his classic albums Hunky Dory and The rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust and the SFM and I was hooked. I just wish I got to see him live. I've just bought Blackstar.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
The guy was a legend in his own lifetime, massively respected and venerated by his peers and by his fans.
Constantly reinventing himself, and never afraid to try something new and cutting edge.

For me his collaboration with Nile Rodgers in 83 created a fantastic album, let's Dance that yet again opened him up to a new audience.

Very sad loss to the industry and to Music

RIP

Robstyley

Sith Lord
****ing legend! Can't believe it. One of a kind Bowie, hugely influential. Have been a fan since I was a teenager, his first four or five albums are just incredible. We love you David, rest in peace man xx xx :cry:

x-pack

Grand Master
Mr-shifter said:
When I was much younger, all I had to listen to were the old mans tapes. I got to my teens and suddenly dads music didn't seem so cool any more so I stopped listening to it. Why I thought happy hardcore was the way forward I don't know.

It's only now I'm older I can appreciate what excellent taste my dad had in music.

Same exact thing. Dad played this sort of thing and had the vinyl and cassettes. Think I got to 11 or 12 and started being a bit more selective about what I listened to music wise and went through the old man's collection. But then as a teenager Bowie and Elton John weren't all that cool so I got into metal and then hardcore. But really Bowie and the likes have stayed with me whereas other genres have come and gone.

r1hvy

Padawan
Such Sad News. This is an image a Friend of mine drew of him.
ATTACH]

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom