Retro/Vintage (console) gaming!

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I have no doubt there's been threads about this in the past and there was some great discussion regarding old Star Wars games on one of Edds threads. I have recently started to get interested in retro gaming. Not talking about any particular period or console, just anything up to PS2/X-BOX sort of era. Also not talking about collecting mint boxed stuff, I'm talking about playing them!

If I think back over the years in the 80's and 90's especially there were so many great games, and the old ones have a simplicity and charm you just don't get with new games. I have a PS2 I've had forever since it was current and have a fairly small collection of PS1 and PS2 games. Plan to get more, especially PS1. Must get Resident Evil - classic. Have also just ordered a machine that plays NES, SNES and Megadrive games, the golden era in my opinion. Have just bought Super Star Wars and Mariocart. Will pick up Street Fighter II (obviously) and prob the other Star Wars ones.

I'm sure some of you guys are far more knowledgeable and into it than me. As I've searched titles are coming back to me but my memory is a little hazy. Interested to hear what old games people like, remember or would recommend.

Carl Waterworth

Jedi Master
I have still got my snes, Commadore Amiga and Commadore 64, I even got the snes and C64 down from the loft and was playing some of my games, it was fantastic loading a tape watching the squiggly lines as the commadore loaded up games like The Last Ninja, Green Beret, Terra Cresta, Ghostn Goblins etc

Also playing Street Fighter and super Empire Strikes Back on the Snes was awesome. :D

spoons

Grand Master
I've got a SNES for Super Mario, Megadrive for Worms, N64 for Zelda Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye and a GameCube for more Zelda

Also got a PS2 for no particular reason but I do need to buy a copy of Black

Love old consoles 8)

Capttang

Youngling
I've got too much! Still love my SNES, obviously the Super Star Wars trilogy! Got about 50 boxed games for it. Also got N64 for Mario64 and Shadows of the Empire. Got a bunch of PS1/2 games including all the Resident Evil games. Even got an original boxed Gameboy with a boxed copy of Empire Strikes Back :D

Love buying and playing retro games as well as the modern stuff. I've lost days/weeks of my life to Call of Duty! Want to step up retro gaming though, want a Megadrive, Panasonic 3DO, Neo Geo, 32X and to have a Virtual Boy again! Wife is going to be pleased :shock:

I've been watching 'Bad Influence' with Andy Crane on YouTube, don't remember it from when I was a kid but love all the retro games...I was an avid GamesMaster fan back in the day!

x-pack

Grand Master
The SNES is still hooked up in our living room and still works reasonably well. Me and the wife were playing Mario Kart at the weekend. She's absolutely crap at it, moaning about not knowing the controls FFS! After that I had a run through Street Fighter 2 Turbo. That's the one game that is still as amazing as it always was. The graphics don't matter! SF2 is one of very few perfect fighters out there IMO. The newer versions are just ridiculous and only Tekken's earlier outings come close.

Can anyone think of a better fighter than SF2?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Only one I really got into was the N64, Goldeneye was an instant classic for me along with Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario 64. Spent far to many hours in the late 90's playing these games. Good time's though. :p

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Got the Super Star Wars and Mariocart.. just as good as I remembered, hours of fun! Very nostalgic putting them on for the first time in 20 years. Well keen to pick up more old games. Got Street Fighter II and Super R-Type on order. Love it :D

Dantooine

Padawan
Have any if you heard of Star Wars Trilogy Arcade? It was made by sega in 1998 and is now playable via the Supermodel3 emulator. I thinks it's one of the best Star Wars games ever made, all original trilogy stuff in there. Hook up a flight stick and it's "just like the real arcade game". I run it on a 5 year old mac and it's fine, maybe the speed drops during the Endor speeder bike chase but that's it.

Mame is also good for the old Atari SW games, as well as the early 90's sega arcade game.

I know this stuff isn't console gaming but these are too good to miss. :D

elcroz

Padawan
I remember the Star Wars Trilogy Arcade game. It was amazing and still holds up well by today's standards.

Grant

Sith Lord
Retro gaming is pretty cool. Every few years I dust of the old Wii and play Super Mario 64 on it. It can be downloaded from the Nintendo Eshop via the Wii if hooked up to the Matrix. I start from the beginning and usually get to just over 100 stars before I quit it again for another few years. Nostalgia rocks. 8)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom