The imaginatively titled Premier League 21/22 Thread

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yes it's incredible how often Man Utd draw a team in the cup and then play them in the league before or after. Yes we have Villa away next week!!!! Obviously doesn't happen to City as they don't draw PL teams.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Villa have got to feel very hard done by last night, that second disallowed goal especially was particularly harsh, it was like the VAR ref was reviewing every touch of the ball to try and find a reason to disallow it.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yes I would have been annoyed if I was a Villa fan, that said though I would also have expected it to be chalked off if Man Utd had scored it. Just the way the game has gone with VAR.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Agreed, initially I though it was a joke that it was disallowed. I thought Ramsey had been penalised for obstructing Cavanni, which he had. Since when do you have to get out of another players way? If I'm a striker can I just run straight at goal and get a free/pen if the defender doesn't get out of my way!?

APPARENTLY it was disallowed cos Ramsey was stood offside initially and thus becomes active when he blocks Cavanni. That does make a little more sense. But I still struggle with two parts of that, as well as not being sure that obstruction/not getting out of someone's way is really a foul. 1) Was Cavanni getting the ball, or going to be close enough to have an affect on whoever played it? I'm not sure he was. 2) Is that REALLY a 'clear and obvious' error? The fact it took VAR 4 minutes to find it (and I agree with Edd it did look like they were trying to find a reason not to allow it) would imply that it wasn't.

I would be pissed off if I was a Villa fan. If I was a Utd fan (shudder), I would feel like we got away with one.

If I was a football fan, I would be looking at VAR AGAIN and wondering just why we bother having it given they **** more things up than they solve/fix/correct.

lejackal

Grand Master
The decision was ridiculous. They spent an absolute age rolling back and forth, frame by frame, to check if Ings left but was offside or if he used his hand etc to then decide there was an obstruction. Obviously if I was the beneficiary I'd take it but as a neutral it's a joke and I'd say a Villa fan would be livid

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Trust me @weasel if you were a Man Utd fan you would feel like you've got away with one every time you play and don't lose.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
On another note, does anyone see any improvement in Utd under Ralfy? To me they are just as pish, albeit they are conceding fewer goals. But even that could juts be due to the kind run of fixtures they have. I know he likes his 4-2-2-2 but Utd don't have a squad for that and it seems a little straneg to force players to adapt to your tactics when you are only there for 6 months. Why not pick a system that suits what you have!?
Either way, I expected to see more from Ralfy/Utd under him. It is only 5 or 6 games in but there really hasn't been much improvement. So far.

lejackal

Grand Master
On another note, does anyone see any improvement in Utd under Ralfy? To me they are just as pish, albeit they are conceding fewer goals. But even that could juts be due to the kind run of fixtures they have. I know he likes his 4-2-2-2 but Utd don't have a squad for that and it seems a little straneg to force players to adapt to your tactics when you are only there for 6 months. Why not pick a system that suits what you have!?
Either way, I expected to see more from Ralfy/Utd under him. It is only 5 or 6 games in but there really hasn't been much improvement. So far.
They've in theory got the 3rd or 4th best squad. They don't really play like it, I don't think it's very balanced.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I've seen an improvement all be it marginal and let's not forget how bad we were before. I mean we lost 1-4 at Watford. He's also dealing with player unrest, some of the squad don't like Ronaldo. Let's not forget Ole signed a lot of these players and they are probably still in a WhatsApp group with him as he was such a nice guy. (Eye role) I'm not sure many managers could get anything more out of these players, most of them are on more money than City, Liverpool and Chelsea players but no where near as good. We got a coach in who has only managed 2 out of the last 10 years, so not sure what people expect. He's not Harry Potter with a magic wand who can suddenly conjure minor miracles.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I've seen an improvement all be it marginal and let's not forget how bad we were before. I mean we lost 1-4 at Watford. He's also dealing with player unrest, some of the squad don't like Ronaldo. Let's not forget Ole signed a lot of these players and they are probably still in a WhatsApp group with him as he was such a nice guy. (Eye role) I'm not sure many managers could get anything more out of these players, most of them are on more money than City, Liverpool and Chelsea players but no where near as good. We got a coach in who has only managed 2 out of the last 10 years, so not sure what people expect. He's not Harry Potter with a magic wand who can suddenly conjure minor miracles.

True. I wasn't expecting miracles, but normally you can see a bit of improvement, or at least the team trying to play in a new way. Utd just seem as directionless as before. You are right that there is a lot of dross in that squad, it'll take him, or whoever takes over, a year or two to sort it. And wages are definitely an issue. From memory Rashford is on more than Salah. A LOT more, 50kpw+.

I can understand the dislike for Ronaldo. Putting aside, my barely disguised love for Ballbag, he doesn't help himself with his huffing, the on pitch histrionics are hardly a great example. Especially when he is 36 and not able to do high tempo pressing for 90mins. Plus his taking of free kicks, his track record in recent years is on a par with mine and haven't kicked a football in 10 yrs, and to a lesser extent, penalties could easily grate.
If he scored the free kicks, fair ****s. But 99.999 times out of a hundred, it's a goal kick or some boy in the wall gets hit. If I was a Utd player I would get pissed off with winning a free only to watch him **** them up every time. Cue a hattrick of freekicks on Sat now.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah Rashford is on more than Salah and Martial is on more than Harry Kane. Remember in the summer there was talk of a swap deal for Kane and Martial plus £100 million. If that had happened Spurs would have ended up paying Martial more than they had been paying Kane. Which Spurs would never do. Just shows how badly Man Utd is run.

Already talk of Rashford getting a new contract soon, obviously he's going to be on less money than his last contract considering how **** he's been for the last 2 years. I no wait, it will be a new improved contract.

lejackal

Grand Master
Obviously it's under 21's but this kid looks alright

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Now that was a classic Spurs evening if ever I saw one. 2 penalties overruled and a disallowed goal 😂 OK technically they were all the correct decisions, but I don't remember 3 VAR calls going Spurs' way all season, let alone in one game! And the disallowed offside goal was ridiculous, OK I know by the letter of the law there has to be two opposing players behind the ball, but when one of them is the keeper who just made a massive cock up it seems very unfair to disallow the goal. On another night it could have been 3-3.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Already talk of Rashford getting a new contract soon, obviously he's going to be on less money than his last contract considering how **** he's been for the last 2 years. I no wait, it will be a new improved contract.
100% guarantee sir marcus get a pay rise. That sums Utd up.
I don't remember 3 VAR calls going Spurs' way all season, let alone in one game!
Ehhh cough, Harry Kane's non red card, Robertson's (correctly) upgraded red card, Jota's non penalty. All in the same game! ;-)

I saw 5 mins of the Spurs game,. just enough to see the goal and know that was that.
A shame as I'd much rather Spurs made a final than that other shower.
Though apparently Spurs only had 2 shots on target in the whole game!? I also heard they missed out on 3 VAR decisions, and BBC website agreed with Edd, all were the correct calls. Not seen any more than that.

lejackal

Grand Master
Oh and what happened to Liverpool and Klopp not giving a toss about the Carlng cola trophy

lejackal

Grand Master
I'll take that given we were at Anfield and down to ten men. Pool weren't at their best but I thought we defended really well

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah you did well to get a draw out of that, thought it was classic Arsenal shooting themselves in the foot. But they played well with 10 men, Liverpool were without 2 top players, but still great result.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah fair ****s to Arsenal. I only saw chunks of the game, Xhaka's red looked fair enough. He was probably the last man and he caught Jota on the chest, you're gonna go for that more often than not. After that Arsenal dug in a defended really well. It was a flat back 8/9 set up 10 yards outside their box, but understandable given the circumstances. There is definite signs of some progress under Arteta, it's just a case of will it be enough and will they manage to keep it up. Arsenal held their shape well, and Pool didn't really create a huge amount, bar when Ramsdale went walk about late on. Great effort by Minamino (rolls his eyes and swears). A tad worrying for Pool that in home games against Chelsea and Arsenal, where the visitors have had a man sent off and set up shop, Pool have created the sum total of **** all squared. The Chelsea game in particular is looking more and more like 2 points dropped.

As for Klopp not caring about the worthless cup, I think a few of the changes were to give players a run out as some hadn't played for a while with the COVID farce. Alison in particular fits that bill. Obviously the front three pick themselves cos there's no one else and that will probably be Pool's front three until Salah and Mane come back.

All to play for the second leg at the Emirates, although I can't help but feel the game should already be over. Still, if you're gonna be ****, be **** the worthless cup...first leg.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom