The imaginatively titled Premier League 21/22 Thread

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Can't agree! šŸ¤£ Ronaldo was an animal back in 2007 and he still is now! Prime Henry, Viera, Anelka, Drogba, Van Persie and the list could go on and on. They would all have a field day right now. You could argue that the better teams have it easier now as players are protected from bad tackles a lot more. Look at James Milner, he's still one of the best players in the league, how long has he been playing?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I watched the original Liverpool Newcatsle 4-3 game during lock down. Sky showed extended highlights, I didnt actually sit and watch the whole thing, I wasnt THAT bored! But within 10 minutes I saw 4 or 5 tackles that would be a straight red now. Not even "seen them given" I mean 'stonewall' red cards, and do you know what, both teams made them and both sets of players got straight up and got on with it. Now there would be players rolling about and screaming and (if it was Chelsea or a Jose team) half the team surrounding the ref calling for 3 red cards, 2 penalties, and a life time ban.
Now, I know that game was '96 ish and thus 25 years ago, but it just goes to show how much the game has changed. I suspect if we sat down and watched a game from 2010 there would be a good few tackles that would be red cards now that there barely even noticed then. That alone makes it hard to compare teams.

Even at that, I'm not sure why fans obsess about "best team ever" can we not just sit back and say City/Pool in their curren guise are two ****ing superb teams, as were Jose's first Chelsea, the Invincibles, Utd 99-00 and whatever the other Utd team was (07 ish?). Who cares who thinks which one is "best"? At the end of the day, most fans will vote for their club. The only real neutral is a fan who doesnt have a team nominated, and even at that our Spurs fans will probably be reluctant to vote for Arsenal.

Norwich first to go down, with their horrible run in I think Everton are odds on to join them at the moment!
Yeah, that run in is not pretty. Whilst I hated Everton's tactics last weekend and I will laugh if they go down, I have nothing against the club or the fans. The fans have suffered 27 yrs with no trophy, and not even getting close to winning one, and for the most part some utterly dreadful football. They don't deserve to be relegated. BUT that club is soooooo badly run. They have spent so much on shite, and over so many years. Then they sacked Rafa and appointed Fat Frank cos he was a good player. The fans didnt want yer man who had won leagues and developed players at his previous clubs, they wanted Frank cos he was a name and an Engerlund legend. And the Board listened to them.

Given Everton are in breach of FFP as it stands I suspect relegation will **** them royally. Their income will nose dive. I guess a good few players won't fancy the Championship and will leave, but I'm not sure Everton would have been switched on enough to have relegation clauses in the players contracts, so they may still, be paying PL wages. They would struggle to recoup what they paid for 90% of that squad. Especially if they go down. Clubs will know they want/need to sell and the players want away, so suddenly a 40m player attracts bids of 20-25m, probably spread over 2 or 3 years as well.
It would be tricky for any club to try to get back within the boundaries of FFP whilst being relegated but for one as incompetently run as Evertonā€¦ā€¦I could see a point deduction coming a year or two down the line. If they don't come straight back up they could be in a world of trouble.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Norwich first to go down, with their horrible run in I think Everton are odds on to join them at the moment!
Oh sorry, I forgot Chelsea weren't playing Spurs today so of course Everton, a team in the relegation zone, beat them :rolleyes:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Can't agree! šŸ¤£ Ronaldo was an animal back in 2007 and he still is now! Prime Henry, Viera, Anelka, Drogba, Van Persie and the list could go on and on. They would all have a field day right now. You could argue that the better teams have it easier now as players are protected from bad tackles a lot more. Look at James Milner, he's still one of the best players in the league, how long has he been playing?
Of course there are individuals from the past who would still cut it today, Maradonna for example. I'm talking in general.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Oh sorry, I forgot Chelsea weren't playing Spurs today so of course Everton, a team in the relegation zone, beat them :rolleyes:
I saw chunks of the game, Chelsea missed a few great chances/Pickford made a few flukey saves (one with his face), but Chelsea were piss poor.

I see Spurs thumped Leicester's reserves though, as you would expect. Good result for Arsenal at WH. WH's season hangs on Thursday now. Whilst I would love to see them win it and win the EL, if they make the final it is 3 days before they play City in the PL and there's no chance Moyesy will play anything other than the under 11's there, and as a Pool fan, I kinda want their strongest side out against City.

Looks like a straight fight between Spurs and Arsenal for the CL spot, unless Chelsea **** it up royally. Then the loser between those two and Utd/WH in EL and the loser between Utd/WH and Wolves fighting it out for (or to avoid) Europa Challenge fizzy cup. Given Wolves have City and Pool still to play, their's is probably a long shot. But given how this season has goneā€¦..

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes a good result for Spurs against Leicester today, although arguably a better result for Arsenal as assuming we get spanked by Liverpool and they cruise past Leeds, the derby could decide it now.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I think the Derby is gonna be the decider. But I also expect Klopp to make a few changes for that game. It being at Anfield maybe shifts it in Pool's favour but I wouldn't be confident. I guess a lot depends on how the second leg at Villareal goes and what team Klopp plays.

lejackal

Grand Master
In an ideal world I'd like a 5 point gap before the derby and Everton to either be safe or relegated by the final day. They're a shambles but we will find a way to give them a leg up if they need it šŸ™„

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
It's half time and **** me Pool have been woeful. That's Norwich levels of ****.

I have a bad feeling about this second half.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Bournemouth back in the PL next season, I was hoping to see Forest back in for the first time in 20+ years so hopefully they make it to the play offs.

lejackal

Grand Master
Bournemouth back in the PL next season, I was hoping to see Forest back in for the first time in 20+ years so hopefully they make it to the play offs.
Blimey, something we agree on football wise šŸ˜‚

Bournemouth looked the better team n fairness but I'd definitely much rather see new teams getting a shot rather than the same half a dozen yo-yo ing all the time.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Bournemouth looked the better team n fairness but I'd definitely much rather see new teams getting a shot rather than the same half a dozen yo-yo ing all the time.
Yeah they need another league between the Championship and PL for Fulham, Norwich, Bournemouth, Burnley, Watford etc. That's why I'm hoping Everton go down, not because I dislike them as a club, just for a bit of variety.

lejackal

Grand Master
I didn't watch it but once you're 5-3 you put ten men in the box and see the game out surely. Did city try that?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
**** me City!

I watched most of it and I'm still none the wiser as to how they lost. Real didn't have a shot on target until the 90th minute. City were in absolute cruise control and then, from nowhere, they blew up.

I'd much rather Pool played Real in the final. They play City 2 or 3 times a year and the games near kill me. At least with Real there is a slight sense of something different. Albeit they played last year and in the final in '18. Plus, I suspect Pool have more chance against Real than City.

On that note, I'm afraid I'll be cheering for Frankfurt tonight. I'd love WH to win the thing and end up in the CL, BUT the final is 3 days before their PL game against City and I kinda want City to drop points. So that means I need the full strength WH side out for the PL game, not sitting with their feet up dreaming of EL glory. Sorry WH lol.

lejackal

Grand Master
**** me City!

I watched most of it and I'm still none the wiser as to how they lost. Real didn't have a shot on target until the 90th minute. City were in absolute cruise control and then, from nowhere, they blew up.

I'd much rather Pool played Real in the final. They play City 2 or 3 times a year and the games near kill me. At least with Real there is a slight sense of something different. Albeit they played last year and in the final in '18. Plus, I suspect Pool have more chance against Real than City.

On that note, I'm afraid I'll be cheering for Frankfurt tonight. I'd love WH to win the thing and end up in the CL, BUT the final is 3 days before their PL game against City and I kinda want City to drop points. So that means I need the full strength WH side out for the PL game, not sitting with their feet up dreaming of EL glory. Sorry WH lol.
And your lot need to have your head in the game at the weekend as well if you don't mind šŸ˜‰

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom