The imaginatively titled Premier League 21/22 Thread

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I dunno, historically Pool always did OK in games against Utd. Yeah, they lost more than they won, but given the general standing of the two clubs over the last 20 years Pool won more than they probably should have. I suspect the same holds for Utd over the last 5/6 years. For most of the last 4 anyway, Pool have been by far the better team, yet the vast majority of the games have been draws. And ****ing dreadful entertainment at that. The few that have been won have been meaningless FAC games, or games that have been settled late.

The stronger Pool are and the weaker Utd are going in, the more chance I give Utd of getting something.

The crowd will be an interesting aspect. Not sure they are going to let Utd sit back and try and hit Pool on the counter. Even if that may well be the best way to play agianst Pool. (Assuming you have a decent defence and midfielders who can tackle). What happens if Pool go 2 or 3 up? Do the crowd help drag the Utd players back or do they get on their backs and cause them to wilt? Saying that, if Utd go 1 or 2 up, I dare say the atmosphere will be electric. Well, as electric as Old Trafford gets with all the prawn sandwiches lol.

Shite result for Spurs reserves last night. They are making a meal of a competition they should be aiming to win.
Good result for the Hammers as well. They are looking good for the knock out stages.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Well at least that result deflected a bit of the attention away from Spurs! Nuno has now lost every London derby this season, if he loses to Brentford in a few weeks it will be a clean sweep. I don't remember any other Spurs manager 'achieving' that (not with this many London teams in the league anyway.)

I'm not so concerned about the points tally or our league position, it's the goal difference. The next team below us on GD are Watford in 14th. 9 goals in 9 games is quite frankly pathetic, and ironically identical to Wolves, although they have managed to keep more out. Jose was doing a better job, and if you think I'm joking see below - after 9 games last season, the "negative, park the bus, yesterday's manager" was top of the league with 21 goals.

Nuno is way out of his depth, I wanted to give him a chance but Levy has shown absolutely zero ambition or intent by appointing a mid table manager while the likes of Conte were available.

Screenshot 2021-10-24 at 20.48.35.png

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Nuno is way out of his depth, I wanted to give him a chance but Levy has shown absolutely zero ambition or intent by appointing a mid table manager while the likes of Conte were available.

Yeah it looks that way. He was strange appointment. Not one that screamed of ambition. It is still early days, albeit the signs are not promising.

And, WHAT THE **** was Harry Kane doing for Antonio's goal? He just stands there holding Antonio as he knocks it in. It's like a little lovers cuddle. FFS TRY and stop him scoring you muppet.
Also, WHY was a CB not marking the other teams main goal threat!? Surely that should be their job!?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I think there was another game on Sunday too, not Leicester Brentford............Oh yeah Utd Pool.

Scholesy deserves credit for predicting that. On Wednesday night he said if Utd play like that against Liverpool it will be 3 or 4 at HT. They did, and it was four.
It could, and should have been more, Pool took their foot off the gas massively in the second half. I agreed with Jamie Carragher when he said he was disappointed in that, you won't get another chance to really hammer your biggest rivals in their own back yard.

Not much to say on the game, at times it wasn't even men against boys, it was men against little girls. The Utd defending for that second goal summed them up. Two seasoned internationals who run into each other rather than talking (mainly Shaw as he was behind Fat Maguire) and taking control.
As I have said on here for a long time Utd under OGS have no real identity or style of play. It's 'pick your best 11 and hope'. Now Utd have some very very good players and a lot of the time those great players have bailed Utd out. But against a good side, they got found out and picked off.

It could have been worse for Utd as well, I thought the Ronaldo booting of Jones was one of those where a yellow is not really enough, but a red is too much. His first swing of the boot is waist high and he then has two more boots while Jones is on the ground. Had that been roles reversed Roanldo would still be rolling about screaming as we speak.
Now, it wasn't a red, but it was very very petulant.
Then there is the Fred boot to Keita's head, Greasyfella got a red for that in midweek. Mane got a red against City a few years ago. Fred gets a yellow. As I said when Mane got his red, I don't mind if that is the new law, but most of the time it is only a yellow. Fred was a case in point. There is no intent and Keita was ok after a minute or two, but......it was a raised boot that hit someone else in the head. Is that not a red?
That's not me wanting more Utd players sent off, or to really grind Utd into the dirt, it's more a rant at the inconsistencies of the referees. Either decide it's a red, or decide it's a yellow, but it can't be one, one week and another the next.

Not sure anyone think OGS is the man to take Utd forward now
As for where Utd go now. A sensibly run club would sack OGS. They would have sacked him last night. In fact they would never have given him the job after his interim stint, but sure.
Utd are not a sensibly run club. They have just given OGS new contract. Why, I do not know. No one else would want to pinch him, Utd is his dream job and if you think he is doing a great job why not wait until the end of the season when he have given him loads of money to spend. As it stands now Utd have to fork out a lot more to sack him. And his "coaching" staff, who all also got new deals. What clubs would want to come in and poach Darren Fletcher or Michael Carrick? None. So why give them new deals? They have FA experience and are learning on the job, that doesn't scream "give them a new deal." Especially if you look at the structure of Utd's play. Their 'wing it' style is glaringly obvious. For most of PL clubs you know how they will try and play, Utd....**** knows.

If the Utd Board have any sense they will be desperately looking for a replacement NOW. Sensible clubs keep a short list of managers who they would approach if theirs quit, gets poached, falls under a bus. Utd are obviously not a sensible club so they will sack OGS at some point and THEN sit down and start to think who could place him.
Conte would be a bad choice. He is like Jose in that after 2 years he storms off and leaves a huge ****ing mess. Utd REALLY don't need that.
Zidane is very meh for me. Great record in CL, but a mediocre domestic record in what was a 2 and a half team league. Plus would he really want the Utd job?
Graham Potter at Brighton is doing well ATM, and has them playing good football, but they have been bottom 6 the last 2 years, I suspect it's too early for him.
Ten Hag at Ajax, would be the sensible choice, so we can rule him out. He plays good football, he builds and rebuilds squads (cos Ajax get pilfered every other year by Europe's 'bigger'/richer clubs) and has won titles.
Steve Bruce, is a dreadful manager with a woeful track record, but he is available, is a Utd legend and would never challenge the Utd Board. My money would be on him. And I'm not even joking. Utd's Board really are THAT dumb.

I'd say that is the death of the "big 4" that has been talked about this year. Three sides who can win the title, and Utd in with the also rans, fighting for the final CL spot. Their next few league games are Spurs, City, Watford and Chelsea. I would be surprised if they win 2 of those.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
How Ole's still got his job I will never know! Someone explain to me how Ronaldo's goal was off side, not that it matters. lol

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Was up the London yesterday, great day and a good result. Sent them packing. Not the best game I've ever watched in my life but we got over the line. Should have scored a couple more. Spurs were shite, couldn't get through our defence. Some of the WH players were a bit quiet but Rice and a few others had a blinder and held it together. Was just good to get back up there, first game in 18 months. Tottenham at home win, love it 👍

Last edited:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
How Ole's still got his job I will never know! Someone explain to me how Ronaldo's goal was off side, not that it matters. lol
I actually missed the replays, but apparently it was offside by a few inches. Not quite the farcical VAR 'half a pube's width' but close enough that it looked on in real time. Academic anyway. Had it stood, I suspect Pool would have woken up and scored 3 more

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
City beaten in the worthless cup for the first time in 5 years!
Some record.
Well done WH, it would be nice to see someone new win it, but I think we all know it will be Chelsea. Jurgen will continue to play the kids and squad players and at some point they will get caught out.

Mid-table 'has been' derby on Saturday Night! ;-)
Come on Spurs, do the decent thing and don't win! Keep Ole in a job, so we can keep laughing.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes I think the match on Saturday could cost one of them their job if either lose, it's a big game for both teams.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
You think Nuno is under that much pressure already?

I can't see Levy wanting to 1) Admit he made (another) mistake appointing a **** manager, and 2) Wanting to fork out the money to pay him off so soon after hiring him. He's not famed for being flash with the cash is our Daniel.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes I'm probably being a bit dramatic, the EFL Cup win this week will help (although hardly a huge achievement.) Funnily enough I've noticed a similarity with Poch, in that he hasn't had a draw yet. Poch only won or lost matches, but was scoring a lot more goals than Nuno.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
What the **** was that Spurs!? Jesus christ. Utd are shite and you made them look like peak Barca.
I see what you mean @edd_jedi, they are appalling. WTF was the game plan? They just played 90 mins and did nothing. They didnt attack, bar a few random players making random runs in random directions. They didnt sit deep and defend. They just turned up and waited to be beaten.
That 3rd goal summed it up. Utd throw in, straight to an unmarked man, who is under no pressure from the 5 Spurs players near him. He gets his head up and rolls it into Rashford, who is stood 10 yards in front of him, TOTALLY unmarked and clean in on goal.
Surely dafuq someone thinks to press the boy on the wall, or maybe one if the defenders could try marking!? It's pretty much defending 101.

The second wasn't much better, pass fizzed at skipp at waist height. Either miss him out or put it along the ground. Whoever passed it to him wasn't exactly under pressure. Not that Skipp escapes blameless either.

As for Harry Kane. World class? Championship class today. Mid table Championship, at that. Slow, ponderous, off the pace, looking utterly disinterested. He had a chance about 75 mins in, old Harry would have charged in and shot or found Son. Today he dandered in and then chipped a tame and aimless pass/cross onto the second Utd defender's head. Utterly woeful.

Ohh and 2pts dropped by Pool.
Palace continue their good form with a win at City. I really did get it wrong when I said they would go down.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Spurs are ****ed big time. Levy is paying the price for a catalogue of poor decisions: big stadium instead of investing in players > firing Poch > hiring Jose > not selling Kane > hiring Nuno. I'd be fired from my job if I made that many **** ups. Sadly I don't think Levy will, and not much will change until he goes. Spurs are now the worst they've been for over 10 years, and it's going to take more than a few tweaks to challenge again. :(

As for Kane, I always say the same about any player, once they want to leave, let them go. They will never put the effort in again once they've mentally decided they want to go. Absolutely collossal mistake not selling him last season.

On the plus side, Arsenal are doing well at the moment! 😂

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Oh, and -7 goal difference, bettered only by the bottom three! It is that bad...

lejackal

Grand Master
The real highlight for me today has been people on Twitter telling Peter Schmeichel that the Ramsdale free kick save wasn't that good 😂😂😂
582AE549-94B4-4805-B252-7F897CB1F22E.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom