The imaginatively titled Premier League 21/22 Thread

lejackal

Grand Master
Until they are mathematically out of the running for a CL spot.
Crazy really, Conte would probably be a good bet to get something out of that Utd squad in 18 months with minimal new players, as Edd says Spurs almost need a complete overhaul (yes, I know they're only 2 points behind us)

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I'm not sure it's a complete overhaul, I rate Kane, Son and Moura up front, Hojberg is solid in midfield, as is Alli when he can be bothered. I think we need at least 2 new defenders and one or two midfielders, that's not out of the question in a season. We often play better without Kane so I'd be happy to see him go and spend the money at the back.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
God knows the standards have dropped so much now, their in the basement. Without Ronaldo we would be out of the Champions League and he wasn't even a planned signing!!! Harry McBrickfeet was appaulling tonight as were a lot of other players. I think the owners are waiting for Pochettino next summer after OGS can't make top 4 mathematically as I bet his pay off won't be the full £7 million if he doesn't get CL football. Then they have another 3 year cycle to mug the fans of with building for the future, while making **** loads of money. Bringing on Sancho and Van De Beek with 5 minutes to go after the way we played is a real kick in the nuts for both players.

Oh well another really poor performance, saved by Ronaldo and moments F.C. again. Bring on City, another 5-0 here we come.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
God knows the standards have dropped so much now, their in the basement. Without Ronaldo we would be out of the Champions League and he wasn't even a planned signing!!! Harry McBrickfeet was appaulling tonight as were a lot of other players. I think the owners are waiting for Pochettino next summer after OGS can't make top 4 mathematically as I bet his pay off won't be the full £7 million if he doesn't get CL football. Then they have another 3 year cycle to mug the fans of with building for the future, while making **** loads of money. Bringing on Sancho and Van De Beek with 5 minutes to go after the way we played is a real kick in the nuts for both players.

Oh well another really poor performance, saved by Ronaldo and moments F.C. again. Bring on City, another 5-0 here we come.

I don't disagree on Fat Maguire. I have never rated him, even in his Leicester days, and I'm fairly certain I laughed at Utd paying that much for him. I can't be arsed to check back in previous threads.

I actually thought Baily was superb last night. A few fantastic last ditch tackles/blocks. Granted he is cut from the same stone as Lovern. He will be good for 4/5 games and just when you think there may actually be a decent CB in there, he drops 3 brain farts in one game. But last night he was brilliant.

As for Ronnie....meh.
He scored two goals, fair dos, but other than that he was utterly anonymous. The second half in particular he did nothing I actually had to check he was still on the pitch at one point. Partly he has the advantage, that all strikers have, whereby if you do FA for 89 minutes but shank one that flies in people over look your no-show for the first 89 mins and just judge you on your goal. Defenders/keepers are the polar opposite. If they are shite for 89 mins chances are their team is 3/4 down and one wonder save/tackle is hardly enough to offset 89 mins of pish.

You also have to remember that if ballbag wasn't playing, Utd would have a different system, the one they had last year that suited Fernandez a lot more. He has been a massive disappointment this year. He seems to be the victim of crow-barring ballbag into the team. Also if ballbag doesn't play the entire game is utterly different from minute one as whoever played in his place would have made different decisions.
So while his goals have saved Utd a few points, his overall affect on the team/set up, may actually be causing some of the problems his goals are off setting.

Either way, Utd are making bloody hard work of what should be a relatively easy CL group. And last night's performance was utterly pish for HUGE periods.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Have to disagree with you on Ronaldo. For a start Ole hasn't changed the way we play in 3 years, including since Ronaldo joined. He hasn't shanked one goal this season, they have mostly been top draw goals that know one else in our squad is capable of doing consistently over a 9 month season. Imagine if Ronaldo had joined City instead of United. He would probably be on 15+ goals by now. Ronaldo has saved Ole his job, comparing a striker to a defender is a bit like comparing a F1 driver to the team in the Pits. Both very important but if your team in the pits doesn't set the car up properly then it doesn't matter how good the driver is. Despite Ronaldo having a **** team in the pits he's still pulling a rabbit out of the hat week in week out. If Man Utd had been well drilled as a team with each player being given a particular job, like Pep and Klopp do then Ronaldo's goals would be winning games and putting the icing on the cake. The guys a phenomenon, the fact that people still compare him to strikers in their prime when he's 36 says it all. He's saved Ole's job more than once in two months, we would be out of the CL without him, Cavani would be injured and Bruno would be playing as an out and out number 10 getting frustrated because we wouldn't have a proper number 9 fit. Just imagine if City had Ronaldo they would probably destroy us even more than Liverpool did. To even think for a second that the clubs situation is in any way worse because of Ronaldo is ridiculous. A club that under performs consistently for 8 years, isn't going to suddenly win the league because Ronaldo walks through the door. What he has done is pull us out of the gutter.

Last edited:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
What was Ronaldo brought in to do? Is he doing it? the answer is yes. He has come in to score goals, and he is scoring goals.
the goals he has been scoring are world class, technique wise. Utd are a better team with him, and hand on heart if any premier league manager and the fans were asked,if you need a striker, if you can sign a player which will guarantee you goals, would you buy him? The answer would be yes, most fans of the game …worldwide…would agree that Ronaldo is phenomenal, his record CL goals and appearances bolster that.
was he the right player to buy, YES
i agree we are not playing tactically to suit Ronaldo at all, we are playing as we have always played.
however we were shocking at the back with the exception of Baille. Pogba was shocking as well , We don't look good and yes we got out of jail last night, but we played till the last minute ( as we do) and it paid off.
will we win the premiership..no…CL…no , are we building and going forwards, I think yes lots of work to do, but to let Olly go now would be a mistake, remember he got us 2nd last year, and I truly think he will top 4 this season.
Fergie always used to say let's look at where we are after Christmas, personally I absolutely want Olly to succeed.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I would love Olly to succeed as much as anyone, I still get goosebumps watching his CL final goal. But this is Manchester Utd, you can't let loyalty cloud your judgment. He's had 3 years and I would say their has been no progress in that time. Finishing 2nd last season was hugely down to Liverpool having pretty much their entire first 11 injured for sustained periods and Chelsea dropping the ball with Lampard.

We also have to stop looking back and comparing him to other managers, fergie included. Football has changed, their is no time for managers to build a team over 3 or 4 years. That's because you are never going to build a team that dominates for 5 years plus. Theirs to many contenders, unlike the 90's and 00's when it was Man Utd or Arsenal. Now you have Chelsea and Man City that set the tone, they get a new manger in and they will get a season, perhaps 2 at City, that's it, they have changed the way football clubs are run. Clubs are set up to succeed they just need the right manager in place. Name me another manager that has had 3 years at a top European club and kept his job after not coming close to a CL or League title.

The worst thing is the Glaziers no how the fans feel about OGS, he gives them a buffer. And the fans fall for the 'we're building something for the future line'. Do you hear Chelsea and Man City owners saying that? No they get a manager in they back him with signings and if he doesn't produce trophies instantly he's gone, because they want their clubs to be the best in the world. Our owners just want to make money and they're making more money than ever while treating the fans like mushrooms, by feeding us **** and keeping us in the dark about what they really want from the club. I don't even feel like celebrating when Utd score at the moment because I know deep down their is no end plan or goals apart from top 4. I don't blame Olly for not walking why should he, any one would stick around for the £7million pay out, I blame the Glaziers, because competent owners would have sacked him by now. The club is in a worse state than I can remember.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
I get everyone's view, and everyone is entitled to it, the history and the past ( Fergie included) is what makes me the fan I am, for me as you say the CL Final Ollys goal, Cantona …too many ,memories to mention, is why I will still believe, still hope, and when we score, sorry but I still jump and shout And go bananas, wither we are playing a friendly or it's a CL game, it's always the same buzz for me
the rare occasions in Recent seasons i have sat in the Stretford end, singing "Utd Road" is what it's all about!
yes the Glazers are a shower, yes we are no where near where we need to be, frustrating, …do I get angry and gutted when we get battered by our arch rivals …yes I do, but draw a line and crack on, but I can't as said not keep believing …not because I'm a mushroom, but because of that legacy that's made me the fan I am.
like I said we all have our opinions, rightly so, that's what makes the premier league what it is compared to the rest of the worlds leagues, look at Newcastle , their fans are looking forward now with the backing they have, will it be a long term build or a Jack Walker Blackburn, who knows, but most of the fans will be excited.
football will never be the game it was, life will never be the same as it was, everything progresses good bad or indifferent, but for me I follow my heart, not made me a rich man, dont have shed loads of money, but have a happy life, and a wonderful family, that's what counts for me, same goes with my love and passion for Utd, follow my heart :)
we beat Spurs ( yes they were lack lustre, but we beat them) we managed to pull back a result last night and stayed top of the group ( yes we should be qualifying from that group, and I am sure we will) we go into this weekend and look to get a result against City, if we do, then again for me we are working, we are taking the punches, and carrying on will we win the premiership this season …no…. But will we keep pushing and as I say, roll with the punches, yes damn right we will

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I love your optimism Mike, but I can't just go on as if everything is normal and think we will win the league one day. I can't look past our next game and neither can Olly, he has said that himself!!! I can't see Man Utd winning the League or CL while the Glaziers own the club. At the moment their are 3 clubs that are way ahead of us and I can see that being 5 or 6 in a couple of years. The way I look at it is I support the club, not the owners, coaching staff and certainly not the footballers just because they pull on the red shirt. That means when things aren't going right as a supporter I need to call it out and not just sit back and watch the club get sucked dry of anything great that the club had.

I go back to the standards thing, since when has it been ok for Man Utd to take 1 point from 4 games ending with a 5-0 defeat to our biggest rivals? Not only that Liverpool took their foot of the gas in the second half, it could have been 8 or more. Forget about getting out of the group stage this season, Verane is out for a month. Now is the time to sack him, if we wait till the summer, Ronaldo will want away, Pogba will go on a free, Van De Beek will go in January, Cavani is going back to South America and the sqaud will need a rebuild and a new manager. Sack him now and we can possibly salvage something and keep some players beyond this season. Bruno still hasn't signed a new contract, he will go as well.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I would love Olly to succeed as much as anyone, I still get goosebumps watching his CL final goal. But this is Manchester Utd, you can't let loyalty cloud your judgment. He's had 3 years and I would say their has been no progress in that time. Finishing 2nd last season was hugely down to Liverpool having pretty much their entire first 11 injured for sustained periods and Chelsea dropping the ball with Lampard.

We also have to stop looking back and comparing him to other managers, fergie included. Football has changed, their is no time for managers to build a team over 3 or 4 years. That's because you are never going to build a team that dominates for 5 years plus. Theirs to many contenders, unlike the 90's and 00's when it was Man Utd or Arsenal. Now you have Chelsea and Man City that set the tone, they get a new manger in and they will get a season, perhaps 2 at City, that's it, they have changed the way football clubs are run. Clubs are set up to succeed they just need the right manager in place. Name me another manager that has had 3 years at a top European club and kept his job after not coming close to a CL or League title.

The worst thing is the Glaziers no how the fans feel about OGS, he gives them a buffer. And the fans fall for the 'we're building something for the future line'. Do you hear Chelsea and Man City owners saying that? No they get a manager in they back him with signings and if he doesn't produce trophies instantly he's gone, because they want their clubs to be the best in the world. Our owners just want to make money and they're making more money than ever while treating the fans like mushrooms, by feeding us **** and keeping us in the dark about what they really want from the club. I don't even feel like celebrating when Utd score at the moment because I know deep down their is no end plan or goals apart from top 4. I don't blame Olly for not walking why should he, any one would stick around for the £7million pay out, I blame the Glaziers, because competent owners would have sacked him by now. The club is in a worse state than I can remember.

Sums it up well.

You misunderstood my point about Ronaldo and Utd, I was talking in general terms about strikers being judged on goals and having more chance to win games, rather than talking specifically about Ballbag, but it doesn't matter.

I'm an ex-holding midifelder who spent too many years knocking his pan in for 70 mins (hockey is 70mins, not 90 like footy) while lazy assed forwards stood up there and did FA, but then they get a lucky deflection that they literally know nothing about and suddenly they are the hero.
Football is the same, Baily should have been getting the plaudits on Tues night, instead Ronaldo did. Baily was superb for 90 mins (plus added time) Ronaldo hit two (admittedly great) shots.

Ohh and that re card last night was weird. The ref clearly sent him off for not coming over when he was called, three times, but UEFA have said it was for the tackle. If it was for the tackle, that should be over turned on appeal, that is never a red. If it is for the Atleti bot being a dick, fair play to the ref. Far too often you see players carve someone down and just run away and wait for the ref to call them over. It's like hounding the ref, as soon as refs start to book/send people off for it, it will stop. Needless to say UEFA won't like that ref doing someone sensible, so he will probably be dropped now.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes I thought the same, fair play sending him off for ignoring the ref/lack of respect, I don't see how the foul in isolation is a straight red.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Sums it up well.

You misunderstood my point about Ronaldo and Utd, I was talking in general terms about strikers being judged on goals and having more chance to win games, rather than talking specifically about Ballbag, but it doesn't matter.

I'm an ex-holding midifelder who spent too many years knocking his pan in for 70 mins (hockey is 70mins, not 90 like footy) while lazy assed forwards stood up there and did FA, but then they get a lucky deflection that they literally know nothing about and suddenly they are the hero.
Football is the same, Baily should have been getting the plaudits on Tues night, instead Ronaldo did. Baily was superb for 90 mins (plus added time) Ronaldo hit two (admittedly great) shots.

Ohh and that re card last night was weird. The ref clearly sent him off for not coming over when he was called, three times, but UEFA have said it was for the tackle. If it was for the tackle, that should be over turned on appeal, that is never a red. If it is for the Atleti bot being a dick, fair play to the ref. Far too often you see players carve someone down and just run away and wait for the ref to call them over. It's like hounding the ref, as soon as refs start to book/send people off for it, it will stop. Needless to say UEFA won't like that ref doing someone sensible, so he will probably be dropped now.
Yeah sorry I did misunderstand you, Baily should be the second choice centre back IMO I said it after the Everton draw, McBrickfeet needs dropping and the captains armband should go to Ronaldo. I'm not saying Baily is better than Harry I just think Harry is to comfortable in the team. Theirs a load that are Ollys favourites and he refuses to drop. McFred pair being the other two. While I'm on about it the fact that Pogba was crap on Tuesday and the way social media has gone in on him cracks me up. He's suspended for the City game Olly has clearly fallen out with him and he wants to leave unless a new manager comes in. That performance he put in on Tuesday is no different to many of Ollys favourites week in week out, but some how they keep playing because they have desire and run around a lot according to OGS.

No need to send players off when they swarm the ref when Utd are playing as most the United players just stand their with their hands on their hips shaking their heads when a bad decision goes against them!

Last edited:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
I have to agree on the Mc Fred situation, really isn't good enough for UTD, we need to bolster there for sure.
Pogba for me was always going to be an either or, he would either be a superb addition or a damp squib unfortunately it's the latter, which will be compounded by the addition of Ronnie, Pogba wants to be seen as a superstar, and for me he does not do it consistently on the pitch we need to address that, and I'm sure he will go now.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I just feel so dejected about Man Utd, Pogba starts for France pretty much every game and they get the best out of him, yes he goes missing in games for France but still he's a top player if you put him next to a Kante or prime Matic. Just feel the whole Pogba situation wouldn't have happened if he had been playing for City or Liverpool or even Chelsea for the last 5 years. Start of this season he was well on course to break the assist record for a PL season and that was with him starting games on the left and now Ole drops him infavour of McFred. Shocking.

Man Utds official twitter account today tweated that Man Utd has the most followers for a football club on TickTock in the world. How amazing is that, hold my pint while I join the bus paraide through Manchester. Manchester United aren't playing Man City on Saturday its Glaziers Finance United that will be running around the pitch chasing a football.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Welcome to Spurs Conte, a 3-0 lead almost squandered in a couple of minutes even with Vitesse only having 9 players on the pitch 🤣 it was an entertaining game though.
Interesting decision to play Dier at right back, I don't recall anyone else trying that before, but our feeble defence was still easily penetrated a couple of times. That's where he needs to focus (have I said that 200 times already?!)
Still at least we're scoring again though, it took Conte 20 minutes to score three goals, nuno took 270!

lejackal

Grand Master
So Aston Villa sell their best player then sack the manager for performing worse with a worse team. This is football 2021 🙄

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes I was both surprised and not surprised to see him go, it's a funny old game. Decent contest between Everton and Spurs today, a draw was probably fair. The PL need to revise how they compile their stats, Spurs apparently had no shots on target despite several decent efforts (one of which hit the post) yet according to the stats Everton had several 'shots' on goal including a ball that rolled at Lloris at about 2 miles an hour :ROFLMAO: It was entertaining for a 0-0 draw though, shame the red card came in the 92nd minute so was no use to us.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom